PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod & Drag Link Upgrades for a WJ

death-mobile
02-25-2006, 02:31 PM
I was wondering what the best steering upgrade for a 00 WJ would be? I don't see anyone that makes drag link upgrades, but most say they would be willing to make a tie-rod and drag-link that I would be able to use, but I'm not familiar with any particular steering upgrades. Big-Daddy off-road, Kevin's off-road & Iron Rock off-road are a few that are willing to do it.

Halfdoc
02-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Drag link I think you are going to be looking custom.

Kevin has a tie rod upgrade that is a definate improvement over the stock piece. I actually broke the stock tie rod, I would have to do something really wrong to break Kevins. Worthwhile upgrade, or replacement, whatever the case may be... ;)

David

death-mobile
02-26-2006, 02:26 AM
The only thing I don't like about Kevin's is how it is actually thinner than the stock bar. I actually really like Rusty's tie-rod upgrade. I dunno though, I'd like to get some other opinions before I decide on anything yet.

AgitatedPancake
02-26-2006, 03:56 AM
The only thing I don't like about Kevin's is how it is actually thinner than the stock bar. I actually really like Rusty's tie-rod upgrade. I dunno though, I'd like to get some other opinions before I decide on anything yet.

I dont know from first hand experience but $10 says Kevins is solid compared to the stock tube one...:)

death-mobile
02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Yea you are probably right, but I would also like whatever company I get the tie-rod from, to make me a drag-link. I wrote Big-Daddy Off-road an email to see what they say. I saw in JP mag that they custom made a steering set-up for someone and it looked really good.

JohnBoulderCO
02-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Kevin's tie rod is not solid, but the wall is thick. The diameter is a little smaller then the stock tie rod.

The biggest advantage using it, is the diameter is constant, it doesn't neck down where the TRE's screw in. That is where people break their tie rods. So carry a spare tie rod or get Kevin's.

death-mobile
02-27-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm going to shoot him an email and see if he can do the same for the draglink too. So as far as guys with WJ's, Kevin's seems to be the best bet thus far huh?

SuRf 092
03-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Keep me posted on what you go with...I would definitely like an upgraded drag link, and a more sturdy bushing at the pittman arm end, I've already gone through 2 bushings up there.

death-mobile
03-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm going to get both through Kevinsoffroad. I'll take pics when I do it.

CurtP
03-05-2006, 10:00 AM
What about the Toys by Troy Alumi-Flex tie rod? Not that I'm looking to buy one, but I haven't seen anyone post about it.

JohnBoulderCO
03-05-2006, 10:23 AM
The reason you only see the OEM tie rod and Kevin's tie rod is because of the 24mm thread of the WJ TRE's. No one else makes a tie rod with 24mm threads to use your factory TRE's. 25.4mm is the same as 1", so the WJ TRE's are big, just not the same as a ZJ or TJ.

Switching to 1 ton TRE's is not easy to do on a WJ either. Clearance is the issue, that's why the factory TRE's have those funky bends, to dodge things on the WJ's axle.

death-mobile
03-05-2006, 03:54 PM
yea totally. The TREs on a WJ are strong.

Creech
03-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Bullshit! I trashed the end at the pitman arm on my WJ with 30" tires on some mild trails. I could turn one direction, let go, and just go around in circles all day. I made my own steering after that. Drilled out knuckles and pitman, 1.5" / .250 tube, heims and grade 8 hardware for TR & DL. The big downside was I lost the use of the upper mounting point on my pass. knuckle. Had to weld a block on the TR and attach the DL to it to keep my sway bar attached. DL would hit the disco link if not. Wish I'd gone with 1-ton TRE's, but I make do.

JohnBoulderCO
03-06-2006, 09:51 AM
The TRE on the pitman has very little droop and will bind with shocks much longer then 22". That is why it fails. I replaced mine with a Chevy 1-ton for crazy droop with no binding. The TRE's on the tie rod are strong.

death-mobile
03-06-2006, 05:36 PM
The TRE on the pitman has very little droop and will bind with shocks much longer then 22". That is why it fails. I replaced mine with a Chevy 1-ton for crazy droop with no binding. The TRE's on the tie rod are strong.

Any pics of that? Sounds like a good idea.