PDA

View Full Version : chop saws

BigDaveZJ
02-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Contemplating picking up a chop saw, most I've found (except an uber-cheap Ryobi) are in the $180 to $200 range. Not looking for anything super heavy duty, just something that can make a few cuts when I need to, and something with more precision than a grinder and cut-off wheels.

I'd prefer to get something that either Home Depot or Sears carries as I have gift cards to both places.

Deltron
02-23-2006, 12:46 AM
I would get a 14" Dewalt but I know I partial. My buddy had a cheapass GMC chop saw that lasted a lot of 1 week. He took it back to lowes though and they let him get store credit. Dewalt so far has been good to me so im gonna continue to try and give them my business.
D
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00923471000&tab=des#tabs

ATL ZJ
02-23-2006, 02:45 AM
I tend to purchase Ryobi stuff to start with.. My angle grinder gave me some good service for one year. It has been replaced with a Dewalt. I'm generally not dedicated to top of the line tools (except when it comes to the expensive stuff like welders and benders, then I will go more brand-name), but I will say that the quality difference is really apparent when you go with the market leader. I don't have any firsthand experience with Ryobi chop saws but I'll let you know how the 14a Ryobi circ saw holds up for me if you haven't made a purchase by then.

Cam

OverkillZJ
02-23-2006, 09:15 AM
The Ryobi one is pretty cumbersome, and the vertical trigger SUCKS. My Rigid's pretty much kicked ass, and it's in your price range, cuts 2x4 1/4" box without a problem.

rccolacc
02-23-2006, 05:38 PM
A friend of mine got one of these at a Harbor Freight sale in town. He got it for like $30 and so far it's lasted 2 years. Not saying they all last that long, but he had good luck no doubt. Not a bad return on the money spent.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=261&pricetype=

-RC

Ken L
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
I have the HF one too. It's been OK so far. It's decent for the price.

DND
02-23-2006, 06:58 PM
I've been running a 14" Delta for a couple years now with no complaints. I would suggest a decent blade though. Saits have treated me well in both cutting performance and longevity.

Krash80
02-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Dave-
Not saying this is right for you, but another alternative you might want to consider could be a vertical band saw. Even relatively decent quality ones aren't that expensive, and while it's usually slower than a chop saw for bigger cuts, it has a lot more versatility and the ability to cut more complicated shapes and bigger pieces.
I'm also looking for a chop saw right now, but mainly just to be spoiled...for the past however many years, i've done 90% of my metal cutting on my little old Wilton vertical band saw.
Like I said though, a chop saw is going to be faster, but a band saw can be used for more things.
Just something to think about.

black box renegade
02-23-2006, 10:28 PM
i prefer the dewalt over all others, its got a softer smoother spring in the pivot, and a nicer clamping device... the rigid is coming in at a close second. as for 14" wheels, you cant go wrong w/ sait abrasives or hilti wheels.

BigDaveZJ
02-24-2006, 01:15 AM
do you know of an chop saw that could cut an different angle settings?

Umm, like all of them.

nate
02-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Vertical?

It'd get a horizontal before getting a vertical. Though most machine shops have both from what I've noticed.

Dave-
Not saying this is right for you, but another alternative you might want to consider could be a vertical band saw. Even relatively decent quality ones aren't that expensive, and while it's usually slower than a chop saw for bigger cuts, it has a lot more versatility and the ability to cut more complicated shapes and bigger pieces.
I'm also looking for a chop saw right now, but mainly just to be spoiled...for the past however many years, i've done 90% of my metal cutting on my little old Wilton vertical band saw.
Like I said though, a chop saw is going to be faster, but a band saw can be used for more things.

nmzj
02-24-2006, 09:45 AM
A friend of mine got one of these at a Harbor Freight sale in town. He got it for like $30 and so far it's lasted 2 years. Not saying they all last that long, but he had good luck no doubt. Not a bad return on the money spent.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=261&pricetype=

-RC

Got one also. Have to say it's the blades that make a difference.

JeepinHank
03-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Dave-

What he said. Five cuts in with a chop saw, and you'll be deaf and unable to hear yourself swearing about all of the dust and burns. The band saw is quieter and cleaner from what I've seen. I bought a GMC chopsaw from Lowes, and it died before I finished my bumpers / suspension. The good thing about a horizontal band saw - you can set up your cut, start it and walk away for a minute. Get yourself a cheapo HF bandsaw and a good bi-metal blade, and you won't be much more into it than a good chop saw. JMO

nate
03-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Just put the chop saw outside on saw horses. Should be wearing propper PPE when using it, so you won't be deaf... Eye and ear protection!

redzj
04-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I have had a ridgid for 2 or 3 years, lots of cutting and no complaints. If it does die I will buy another one just like it.

dasVettemeister
04-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Screw the chop saws and band saws. They all suck like Ron after a few beers. :gayflag:

It's all about cold saws people!

NAFTEL
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM
i just picked up the mastercraft 14" yesterday for 149 CAD. 100 dollars off the regular price. yee haw

Lbrty9
06-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Bought one of these cheapo's from HF over 2 years ago and while it's obvious that it's a cheap POS... it does a pretty good job of making nice clean cuts, is quiet, and is more versatile than the chop saw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/37100-37199/37151.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love my chop saw (I bought a Milwaukee and would recommend it), but this band-saw has seen about 50 times more use and is about the same price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37151

ROYGIZ
01-11-2008, 09:47 PM
i just picked up the mastercraft 14" yesterday for 149 CAD. 100 dollars off the regular price. yee haw
I'm looking to buy one. What your satisfaction level with the saw.
I just read a review on canadiantire.ca that is not very favorable.
What's your opinion

OverkillZJ
01-11-2008, 09:48 PM
My opinion is welcome to 18 months ago!

nierace
01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Milwaukee is awesome and craftsman is great too. We've had the same craftsman for 14 years...