PDA

View Full Version : Progressive bump stops

Deltron
02-22-2006, 07:46 PM
I tend to baja my jeep occasionally and smashing down on the bumpstops isn't exactly fun. I was thinking of a way to help with this and came across these.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/tacoma/rear-bump-stops/

I found that sway away wants about $330/pair or so for the damn things though, which is out of my price range. Okay so I was thinking of getting a small heavy duty spring that I could attach to the rubber bump stop to do relatively the same thing. So....

https://peakempire.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=57_80_81&products_id=306&osCsid=76764caff31d113da02e9084ccb1995c

What if I cut the 16" coils into 4 4" lengths and fabed mounts and and used those as "progressive" bump stops. Is this even close to a possible good idea or am I just blitzed out of my skull right now and don't know what im thinking. My buddy thought it was a good idea but he drives a buick la sabre and calls my coil springs shocks. let me know how dumb I am. peace
-Del thafunkyfourwheeler

Kraqa
02-22-2006, 08:26 PM
i woudl be more inclined to use short sections of leaf springs. Mabe 10" long mount one end to the frame and put a bupper bumper on the other end. the leaf spring will still have some give but will not bottom out.

same principal as helper spingrs in the rear of a pick-up truck.

Deltron
02-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't know if im following you kraqa. would I mount 1 leaf horizontal, one end on the frame and the other with a rubber bumpstop on it that would line up with the axle, so when the bumpstop hits the leaf flexes a little bit. I like the idea if thats what you meant but fear it would be hard to do in the front. the idea I had with the coilover coil was to mount it inside of my coilspring in the front. Im sure the leaf idea would work fine in the rear though. let me know if I got what your saying right. thanks for the reply

luvthejeep
02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
man cutting up and eibach like that- :eek: the horror- you will lose any progressive properties of the coil and the middle sections you cut out wont have any way to mount them flat against something- run with kraqas idea- you may beable to even do something with a helper spring...

Deltron
02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
yeh, fucking up the eibach springs crossed my mind but honestly I wasn't sure, thats why I posted it. I plan on trying kraqas idea out with a leaf for the rear, but I really need these "progressive" bumpstops up front, the front bottoms out a lot more then the rear. I'll look tomorrow but I just don't know if I have room to make this work up front. It would be ideal to be able to mount this inside the coil. Are there any coils that will support the force and only 4"s tall....I doubt it. I need some ideas about the front. thanks

Kraqa
02-23-2006, 01:05 AM
if you want a coil in the center of your main coil try going to the junk yard and getting some frm a honda civic or a small car some of those have REAL small diameter coils that are only 6" long. this may be yoru ticket.

Deltron
02-23-2006, 02:22 AM
now that sounds promising, I'll have to check around the junk yard and see what I can't dig up. this should be interesting a least. thanks again

CurtP
02-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Instead of cutting up a 16" coil, what about getting four Eibach tender springs instead? They're linear and you can choose what rate you want.

Deltron
02-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Instead of cutting up a 16" coil, what about getting four Eibach tender springs instead? They're linear and you can choose what rate you want.

Im a broke ass college student thats why

luvthejeep
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
the other night i had to help my neibhor put in his door springs- i swore- those things were like stiffer then my re's!- go to the HELP! section @ advance and you will see some door springs, try those- might workout if you preload them right- they are also a helaofa lot closer in diamater to a bumpstop then an eibach- good luck preloading them- muahahahaha...:smt077

CurtP
02-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Valve springs! I'm sure someone has some laying around they will just give you.

Fuck dude, I'm trying :D