PDA

View Full Version : "rear lamp failure"

PA Muddy ZJ
02-20-2006, 10:34 AM
so i'm driving then i get that annoying "beep-beep" from the VIM and it starts blinking... apparetnly my "rear lamps" failed. i still have brake lights... i still have turn signals... i still have reverse lights. :confused:

the first time it happened was a 6 months ago when i was pulling a trailer... the ground was bad on the trailer so it kept shorting out, then coming back on. not it just happened randomly on the road. i'm confused :smt011

is there a seperate fuse for the rear running lights?

TrojanMan
02-20-2006, 11:20 AM
are you sure your 3rd brake light is still working? it's easy to miss.

PA Muddy ZJ
02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
are you sure your 3rd brake light is still working? it's easy to miss.
mmm... good call. would that short out my parking lights though?

Jim311
02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Check 3rd brake light AND the license plate bulbs.

Oh.. and make sure those bulbs have plenty of fluid. Gotta keep it topped off.

PA Muddy ZJ
02-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Oh.. and make sure those bulbs have plenty of fluid. Gotta keep it topped off.
could that be why my right turn signal blinks 2x as fast as my left when my headlights are on? :rolleyes:

fr3db3ar
02-20-2006, 10:19 PM
third brake light is usually the culprit.....there are 3 bulbs in there and it's easy to miss if the center one is out. My VIC keeps telling me I have a failure....then it goes away for a few days....then comes back.......it hasn't been worth to deal with the cold to fix it :D

jsteves
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
there is also a "brake light module" basically, it is the sensor that determines if you have a lamp out, that can go bad. IIRC, it is inside the little hatch for emergency access to the gas filler (in the trunk area).

i got a new one from the bone yard for like 30 bucks.

Cue-Ball
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
e the same problem but mine only comes on when the headlights kick on so I am guessing there is a tail light out, just can't seem to find which one and with the TR bumper, I need to pull the bumper off to get the tail lights out.

One of these days I will address it.

StinkoMan20X6_
04-03-2006, 10:06 PM
You guys are lucky it only does it sometimes. Mine bitched so often that I replaced the bulb the next day. The constant nagging is worse than a thousand bloody abortions!!!

DCHZJ
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Mine was the Third brake light, now with my new LED taillights it always beeps so i am ripping out my VIC.

DJJordache
04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
check the little side 194 bulbs on the upper side of the rear lamp housings thats what mine was bitching about even though I had all brake lights and parking lights

aresridingflat
04-03-2006, 10:32 PM
check the little side 194 bulbs on the upper side of the rear lamp housings thats what mine was bitching about even though I had all brake lights and parking lights

that's exactly what happened to mine after someone backed into the rear bumper of my jeep. I had someone stand outside and visually check all my lights while i hit the brakes/ turn signals.

Then i got fed up and started ripping shit apart and foudn that that little bulb on the side was blown...

Will