PDA

View Full Version : Trail carnage today, transmission or t-case acting up now

FearTheDentist
02-19-2006, 12:48 AM
OK- I was out with today pre-running trails for GSSW (in the WJ) and a rock shifted while climbing an obstacle and I dropped the front end mighty hard on a large rock. Net result- my transmission oil pan has a remarklable likeness to a banana, bent my front drive shaft, and smooshed the driver side header. Made it off the trail OK and pulled the front drive shaft for the drive home.

Some interesting problems on the drive home though. When accellerating from a stop it handled like a manual tranny w\ a bad clutch- high RPM but litttle accelleration. Once it got to 25 MPH or so it would accellerate a bit better. By the time I reached highway speeds it wasn't too bad, but it wouldn't go into overdrive. I stopped for 20 minutes or so on the way home, and when I got back on the road the low end accelleration was almost normal, but then would seem to slip out of gear. If I let off the gas a bit it would get back in gear and I could accellerate again. For the rest of the ride home it behaved like this- almost normal accelleration, but it would occasionally seem to slip out of gear, especially if I gave it a little too much gas. When I got home I noticed a faint odor of that burning chemical smell sort of like a burnt clutch- not real strong but noticable.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but a few thoughts crossed my mind. I don't know exactly what's under the tranny oil pan- it's mashed up an inch or so- it seems quite possible it's interfering with something as a result. I also wondered if mayboe the transfer case is trying to divert power to the front shaft which isn't there. It's a Quadra-Trac II, I don't know if it would do this or not in 4 Hi on pavement- there's plenty of traction for the rear wheels so I wouldn't think so. I also wondered if by mashing in the oil pan I decreased the avialble volume for transmission fluid, resulting in an effectively over-filled transmission. The ODB-II pulled a code to that effect- transmission oil pressure sensor error (I'll go get the exact error language if needed).

So- any thought on this? I'm afraid to drive any more on it so I'm garaging it until it's fixed, but it's my DD so I'd like to get it repaired pronto. Any help is appreciated!

Kraqa
02-19-2006, 01:22 AM
you likely squished your vavle body. And possibly your tranny band adjustments. The valve body deverts the fluid to the correct location of the tranny. Drop the pan and check it out. theres some electronics in there too. you may need to replace that. its not a hard job but i'l bet its expensive.

FearTheDentist
02-19-2006, 01:47 AM
... but i'l bet its expensive.

Story of my life :D

Jim311
02-19-2006, 06:33 AM
I'm just guessing here, but it PROBABLY wasn't a good idea to drive it home like that.

nate
02-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I would have pulled the pan off and beat it flat at least. :D

OverkillZJ
02-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Pull the pan. If you squished it up that good, I'm kinda surprised you could drive it home :D

Cue-Ball
02-19-2006, 03:51 PM
If nothing else pull and straighten the pan then see how it runs.

Kraqa
02-19-2006, 05:01 PM
i'l bet you your drive home burnt the clutches. if the valve body got smashed and wasn't lubricating properly then you might have some major issues.

nathaniel
02-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Brian you at least most likey smashed the one solenoid thats down in the body of the pan, hopefully thats it about. Mine was about 50 at the dealership if I remember correctly. I didn't drive mine home though, towed it as soon as I noticed the slipping. Why didn't you trailer it? Pull the pan and figure out if you smashed the valve body I doubt if you smashed it that far in, but that solenoid sits right at the bottom. Replace it and the filter since you are in there. Also get the exhaust fixed could cause some weird driving issues. Sounds like some god carnage sucks i couldn't be there and ramon broke a power steering pump before even getting there. Hurry and get it fixed so we can go out this weekend :D

FearTheDentist
02-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Well, good news. Replaced the pan today, looks like it was bent in such that it was mostly blocking the opening in the filter so there was poor oil circulation. After replacing the pan it is shifting fine. I'm sure I didn't do any good for the clutches etc. but looks like I got lucky this time. Now I just need to fix that header and get my new shaft from Tom Woods...

Cue-Ball
02-24-2006, 01:47 AM
lucky deal.

CurtP
02-25-2006, 01:25 AM
...shaft from Tom Woods...

:rofl:

Cody
02-25-2006, 04:18 AM
:rofl:

I don't get it.

OverkillZJ
02-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes you do.

Cody
02-25-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't think Tom Woods Shafts are funny. He's been an awesome supporter of the ZJ crowd and makes kick ass drive shafts.

Cody

OverkillZJ
02-25-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't think Tom Woods Shafts are funny. He's been an awesome supporter of the ZJ crowd and makes kick ass drive shafts.

Cody

Yes he has, he's treated me well and I've sent more business his way than other shops even get.

That said, he makes jokes about his own "shaft" - so what's the problem?

Don't forget the sticker: "My shafts a woody!"

zj-monster
02-25-2006, 09:35 PM
I think Cody needs a shot of extra brain power on this one. :mrgreen:

Don't think about the shaft as an off-road object...but rather a sexual object. A part of the human body...my shaft is a woody.

Good luck...(Jeopardy theme song plays) :supz:

Cody
02-25-2006, 11:24 PM
No, I realize the play on his name--it's on every bumper sticker and shirt the guy has produced in the last 15 years. I figured the joke is so old and so played out that no body would still try and use it and expect to get any credit for humor or originality so I assumed the comment was more of a barb towards the quality of product that Tom produces. My bad.

nate
02-26-2006, 12:21 AM
He said "shaft" hehe hehe hehe hehe hehe

OverkillZJ
02-26-2006, 02:46 AM
No, I realize the play on his name--it's on every bumper sticker and shirt the guy has produced in the last 15 years. I figured the joke is so old and so played out that no body would still try and use it and expect to get any credit for humor or originality so I assumed the comment was more of a barb towards the quality of product that Tom produces. My bad.

Oh give me a break. No one's bashing his product so you might as well go be sour towards something else :cool:

To really form an argument, since I'm cranky enough: You state "I figured the joke is old and played out" which states you KNOW it was a joke. YET you continue "...humor or originality so I assumed the comment was a barb towards the product that Tom produces."

Sounds to me that because you don't think it was humorous, you're taking a stance that it was inappropriate and a bash on product. Go piss on your own bad joke, no ones pissing on Tom's shaft.

Wait, did I really just say that? Ya. Bad joke. I MUST BE BASHING HIS PRODUCT!

Oh ya: :finga:

Cody
02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Oh give me a break. No one's bashing his product so you might as well go be sour towards something else :cool:

To really form an argument, since I'm cranky enough: You state "I figured the joke is old and played out" which states you KNOW it was a joke. YET you continue "...humor or originality so I assumed the comment was a barb towards the product that Tom produces."

Sounds to me that because you don't think it was humorous, you're taking a stance that it was inappropriate and a bash on product. Go piss on your own bad joke, no ones pissing on Tom's shaft.

Wait, did I really just say that? Ya. Bad joke. I MUST BE BASHING HIS PRODUCT!

Oh ya: :finga:

gees, who set you off.

the guy quoted "shaft from tom woods". Thats not even that similar to the slogan Tom uses, nor is it even that funny in a beavis and butthead esque way. It's a stretch. Being a stretch, it sounded to me like some sort of shot--like maybe someone had been "shafted" by Tom and was using Tom's own gimick to label their own dealings with him--which would be at the very least clever. I know living on the other side of the country it's hard to see, but believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there that don't like Tom--and many base that on heresay and simple affiliations with competitors which is wholy unfair. I know him and I've seen first hand the level of his generosity towards others as well as his involvment and support in and for access groups---and he was the only one that built a shaft (hardy har har ;) )that I couldn't break. All I said was "i don't get it" because I was unsure what was funny and was seaking clarification. Some people just "assumed" that it was a dumb joke (which is totally fine) but I know enough about the situation to not assume that it was a play on his name and not on his character. So I must apologize I guess for sticking up for him when I thought someone 'might' have been taking a small shot and further for not instantly knowing the antecedent of "shaft".

My bad again, my apologies to Curtp for jumping to unfair conclusions. Thanks to Matt for setting me straight.

Shouldn't you be out taking pictures of people working on your buggy or your office? ;)

Cody

OverkillZJ
02-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm honesly not reading that, because I already know you're continuing to argue Tom was bashed.

He wasn't.

Everyone can STFU now.

Cody
02-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm honesly not reading that, because I already know you're continuing to argue Tom was bashed.

He wasn't.

Everyone can STFU now.

Matt, you're such a clown. Pay attention to what I'm saying and maybe you'll understand. All I asked for was clarification of what he found humorous, then I apoligized for jumping the gun. You came rampaging in as the savior of all mankind and vilified me for it.

My pardon sir. I won't cross you or your self-aggrandizing banter ever again. I will now begin the STFU'ing.

Cody

OverkillZJ
02-26-2006, 07:38 PM
OK. I'm a clown then. Whatever. As far as what "he found humorous" your second response stated you knew "others found those dumb jokes humorous" and you didn't, so, why is it still a discussion?

Maybe you should've taken note of the SMILEYS denoting lots of SARCASM. Since I have to SPELL IT OUT I'll keep in mind not to do it in relation to your posts any more.
I'm going to go and try and save mankind now on a rampage, thanks for reminding me of my duties!

EDIT: by the way, I've got three of "Tom's Shafts" and swear by them. This really, had nothign to do with his product.

Cody
02-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm going to go and try and save mankind now on a rampage, thanks for reminding me of my duties!

Hey, I'm just here to help.

How bout in it's stead, you go work on that hunk of metal and tube in your garage.

OverkillZJ
02-26-2006, 07:49 PM
It's not even a hunk of tube yet, IT'S DEPRESSING. It's a hunk of metal, pile of tube, piles of parts, and.... lack of time.

I'll get it done, just not sure how yet... Then i can go to Moab... and stop netrampaging.... :D

Cody
02-26-2006, 08:11 PM
at least you have a pile of parts. I just have a dream...

I ran accross someone who just finished building almost exactly what I had in mind...

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=30119

end hijacking. Sorry Brian ;)

zj-monster
02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
end hijacking. Sorry Brian ;)
whooooooooooops, too late...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/z-monster/Unsorted%20Shit/Thread_Has_Been_Hijacked.jpg

dasVettemeister
02-27-2006, 04:41 AM
This fucking thread just gave me a headache. Thanks Matt and Cody.:shake:

OverkillZJ
02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Read at your own risk.

I learned not to read your crap long ago :finga:

CurtP
02-28-2006, 08:20 PM
My bad again, my apologies to Curtp for jumping to unfair conclusions.

No need to apologize to me dude - I didn't mean to get you riled up over grade-school humor. The comment I had quoted just struck me as funny for whatever retarded reason. You have to remember that I'm a newb when it comes to most things off-road and as such, am not only unfamilar with Tom Wood's products, but his marking campaign as well. Had I realized that it was a well-worn joke, I wouldn't have said anything.

So, my apologies go to you and the the other members of this establishment for my childish antics and for taking a thread in a technical forum OT.

OverkillZJ
02-28-2006, 08:53 PM
It was funny because it was childish humor, and it's an admin that took it from tech to OMG the threads been hijacked, so don't worry about it :D

Cody
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
can I have some blame too fellas?

OverkillZJ
02-28-2006, 11:42 PM
No. We're fresh out of blame here. Please check back later!

FearTheDentist
03-01-2006, 01:59 AM
This thread is reminding me of my mother in law- it just won't die :rofl:

chadjans
03-01-2006, 02:41 AM
http://www.jbrewerfamily.com/speech/images/As%20The%20World%20Turns.jpg

zj-monster
03-01-2006, 09:23 AM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/yeseron/Thread%20pics/this_thread_rocks.jpg