PDA

View Full Version : Installed new steerng box, but it wont turn wheels???

badzj999
02-18-2006, 03:52 PM
i just replaced my old steering box on my zj and after installing the new one i turned the engine over and tried to turn the wheels to start bleeding the system and the box seems like its locked up for some reason? i cant figure out why? maybe i criss crossed the lines running from the pump? i dont know im stumped on this one. can anyone help me with this?

badzj999
02-18-2006, 04:13 PM
haha shit im a dumbass i just let the engine run for a while and the tires turned. there is a considerable whine coming from the pump though. tell me if im wrong, but the way i know how to bleed the steering system is to keep moving the tires back and forth without hitting the steering stops and adding fluid when needed, is there anything else i should do?

nate
02-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Did you bleed the system before starting the engine? Get the tires off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock 10-15 times, making sure to keep the reservior full.

Then fire it up and do the same.

97trxuszj
02-18-2006, 05:19 PM
the whining your hearing is coming from the dry box once it gets fluid in it that should go away let us know

badzj999
02-18-2006, 05:39 PM
yea i got all the steering fluid out of there before adding any. the box still whines but not as loudly. cant get thw whine to completely go away tho

AgitatedPancake
02-18-2006, 06:03 PM
yea i got all the steering fluid out of there before adding any. the box still whines but not as loudly. cant get thw whine to completely go away tho

Did you bleed the system before starting the engine? Get the tires off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock 10-15 times, making sure to keep the reservior full.

Then fire it up and do the same.

This works man. If you have someone watching the steering reservoir w/the cap off while your doing this they can see air bubbles coming out. I When i did mine i actually ended up going lock to lock with the engine off about 40-50 times, until the bubbles were TINY or none.