PDA

View Full Version : jeepasaurus EDIT:pre-paint island wheeling and a TOY!

luvthejeep
02-11-2006, 11:31 PM
well this is the place to keep track of the jeep- started with a bone stock 94 v8 limited- i sold my other project car for this because it was supposed to be more practical, lmao see how that turned out hahahah- i got a bit extra in the loan to get 31's and a 4" full traction lift, what shit that was-

luvthejeep
02-11-2006, 11:47 PM
being in upstate ny it was kinda built with 8 months of white crap in mind, she did well through it, i could alwas find a parking spot...

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 12:07 AM
one night after drifting around in fresh snow (my girlfriends personal favorite thing to do in the jeep) we smashed through one too many a snow banks and i lost my front bumper :doh: , oh well, after work someone dared me to go over this loader pile of snow, so i did and it happened, i finnally got stuck, bad had to call in a tow truck and everything, pretty hillarious but until then i never wanted any more out of my jeep but then the bug got to me as i sat 12ft in the air in the middle of the night waiting for a tow-i wanted more capabilites out of the jeep, so i sold my 31's and ended up getting some wheels off a buddie for cheap, but they were pretty wide backspace- then the project started for real...

the last pic is of the police comming to "investigate" what a dumbass i am:tease:

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 12:25 AM
pics in the spring-

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 12:29 AM
so i first got a bumper together, it looked fugly without one- :cheer:

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 12:38 AM
i wanted at least 36" tires so instead of half assing it i decided an axle swap was in order, i must have gone to at least 20 diffrent yards looking at axles untill i found the exact ones i wanted out of a 77 f-150, a ford 9 rear and a hp d44 front with 1/2" thick axle tubes, also the 249 was a total waste in 94 so i opted for a 242 bc of all the snow we had so i wanted full time 4wd.

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 01:11 AM
mmmmm parts:D

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 01:30 AM
i decided on KOR la kit and 37" mtr's i had 7 days to git her done, it was time to take my :smt062 . i couldent wait !

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 01:38 AM
i cleaned up the axles, cut off my original perches, welded them up cut out all the old supension, disk brake swap to the rear, transfercase swap, built new steering out of dom, mounted up the tires on to bronco rims, welded up kevins and slaped it together.... if it were only that easy...:finga:

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 01:42 AM
more...:smt069

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 01:46 AM
i built aroof rack to as you can see in the last pic, but once she was together its ben sweet... ill post up more about the current projects, the regear and the painting as soon as i got more time-

97trxuszj
02-12-2006, 01:04 PM
right on nice build, great looking rig, do you have a SYE on that 242?

luvthejeep
02-12-2006, 11:15 PM
yea i got a hack and tap on it for ow, maybe doing a tc swap again down the road-

ILikeMud
02-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Nice rig man.
Did you make brackets to slide into the stock rails for the rack?

muddy94zj
02-12-2006, 11:57 PM
any blue prints on that basket it looks sweet. nice work on the jeep to. that bumper is exactly what i wanna do too arb bumper is nice but so damn expensive. that looks like that bumper is done for like 200 possibly under. good work

nate
02-13-2006, 12:16 AM
What kind of steering setup is that? You must have bad bumpsteer?

BlackDiamondBound
02-13-2006, 01:13 AM
hhaha i like the pic of the cop car in your side view thats great

luvthejeep
02-13-2006, 09:24 AM
i dont have any blueprints for it but i took the 1.5 x 1.5 square tubing and cut 45 deg. angles on it and drilled holes through the bottom to bolt in to the factory holes, im thinking about cutting off the upper teir of it bc it looks crazy tall without the tire up there-

the bumb steer isnt bad, id like to fix it but ive been unable to find any good writeups as to how to calculate the drag link length properly, thats why i made it ajustable, i can move my conection point to anywhere on the tie rod ass seen in the pic, so when i do find out the correct length i can just build it and move the point-

the bumper was built for 150 in materials- when i paint the rig ill be adding a brush guard and possibly a stinnger, still debateing

EMTimZJ
02-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Looks good! To and help with your bumpsteer, try to get your trackbar and draglink as paralell as possible.

Does your draglink hit your swaybar mount on right turns?

luvthejeep
02-13-2006, 07:34 PM
nope it dosent now, ive had to redo those crappy sway bar mount extensions like 4 times, theres not much left of them now, those are about the only crappy thing kvin sells, those blow total ass :smt078

Nick
02-15-2006, 07:45 PM
haha tony herd all the storys and now i get to finaly see the pics of it nice and i see keith was there helping you in one of the pics i see the back of his jeep funny the attempt over the snow bank lol nice one

luvthejeep
02-16-2006, 11:12 PM
well i finnally ordered the gears for the jeep- 5.13 and tru-tracks all the way around- o got a complete 3-rd member for the rear and parts for the front- rear whent smothly- front was more difficult but i got it done- did an ariline setup for the rear breather too-

luvthejeep
02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
at advance auto they have this cool little transmission drain plug- it comes with 2 seals and a hollow bolt and nut- since the 9 takes so much fluid i decided to add a drain plug to it- i wanted it as close to the bottom without fear of catching it on something and having it rip out - :smt019

luvthejeep
02-16-2006, 11:26 PM
the front was a chore to say the least but now ive setup my own ring gears- im pretty proud- without a press or a puller i needed to get pretty creative, especially on an island- btw label your shafts- you dont want to mix them up-

luvthejeep
02-16-2006, 11:34 PM
i pretty much followed the yukon guide to set up the gears, iwhat made it easier is to make setup bearings from the old ones- what a pain it would have been if i had to press/pull them every time- hahah f that-

luvthejeep
02-16-2006, 11:48 PM
on to the long ass project of trying to get the jeep ready to paint- man waht a bitch it is to do it- you really dont think about it too much until your actually into it, after much debating between me and my girlfriend, (she drived the jeep almost everyday) we decided yellow-
:smt008 , so were all like "this will be cool" then im tearing everything off liek it will be a walk in the park- then i see it- jeep cancer- all over under the doors and the gate- shit- so now i get to learn body work- i also had to fix a little incident that happened between my tail gate and a tree stump, and another one where an idiot hitched me up using a clevis hook strap with a knot in it to pull him out, thats the LAST time ill ever let anyone hook up to me, ill do the hookin form now on, that was an expensive mistake for him to since it took out the rear glass, on to the comedy......

luvthejeep
02-16-2006, 11:59 PM
oh i forgot to mention GET ROCK SLIDERS!!!- replacing your dented rockers sucks- those rockers you see are ones i cut off another jeep- once they get dented they have this sweet tendancy to rot to shit- so yea that was fun- now im thinking "yea yellow man, that rocks" so im trying to imagine it yellow and its lookin cool, then i open the door, shit door jambs, well another project- green door jambs and a yellow exterior would look oh so sick but ive opted for black- "just paint them yellow tony..." oh yea for got to tell ya im using Durabak for paint, its like hurculiner but comes in sick colors and its more expensive, i bought 4 gallons and im afraid that the exterior will take all 4 when i get it thick enugh- so im using a backup for the jambs- i got this "contractor grade" tread and grip paint, it was pretty cheap and the hw store had alot so that what i used, usually on an island there isnt alot of anything so i was like "ohh a sign" i bought all the cans they had :rolleyes: , i got a gallon of black duraback to do the cladding and the bumpers, but the cladding had those radical testarosa stripes on them, so i tried to flush them with a sandable caulk, that shit didnt dry so im trying something else- show ya later...

97trxuszj
02-17-2006, 04:21 AM
right on keep us posted, I might have to take my fenders off the front and mke some tube ones

jeepnzj1
02-17-2006, 01:30 PM
cant wait to see your paint job glad you live so far from me interested to see the bedilner paint, i did my rockers w bedliner stuff also. sweet jeep//Kevin

ZJARCHER
02-17-2006, 02:39 PM
cant wait to see your paint job glad you live so far from me interested to see the bedilner paint, i did my rockers w bedliner stuff also. sweet jeep//Kevin

hah! yer not the only one with a yellow ZJ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-V8-NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-107KML_W0QQitemZ4612320753QQcategoryZ6947QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But that one is^ built like crap and looks like crap, unlike yours:-p haha

jeepnzj1
02-17-2006, 09:33 PM
ok that was kinda wierd, that fuckin thing looks like the exact color i have, we took a yellow dixie cup to make my paint. my paint is dented and scratched from the trees and rocks and hides it great.especially for 5 year old paint job.

luv the abs bumper

luvthejeep
02-17-2006, 09:45 PM
the trails here are "in da bush" in island terms- and they arent joking, most trails around here are lined with bushes that just so happen to be about 4" inches narower then a full sized grand- :smt017 it might be a consparacy, who knows- when i got my sample of the duraback it came on a thin peice of aluminum, like 20 guage, i bent it in half, then back again, paint didnt come off, i layed it down on the desk and ran a key across it lightly, nothing, then i TRIED to take the paint off with my key, nothing- then i picked up the phone and ordered 4 gallons :D

97trxuszj
02-18-2006, 04:07 AM
do they have a website I think youve sold me on it

luvthejeep
02-18-2006, 09:30 AM
www.durabakcompany.com

you need to tell him that tony sent you there- really nice guy, very knoledgable-

97trxuszj
02-18-2006, 05:29 PM
cool thnx

jeepnzj1
02-18-2006, 07:23 PM
luvthejeep you live in a beautiful spot my wife wants to go to st croix st john or st thomas for our next vacation we have some friends that went to st croix and they said it was bitchen, they stayed in the j house or sompthing like that.

ATL ZJ
02-18-2006, 07:47 PM
www.durabakcompany.com (http://www.durabakcompany.com)

you need to tell him that tony sent you there- really nice guy, very knoledgable-

How much does a gallon of Durabak run? I'm considering yanking my cladding and lining the doors.

luvthejeep
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
there are 4 types of duraback, first no-slip (like hurculiner) or smooth, then indoor or outdoor (with uv protectant) average cost is about 120$ a gallon- i cant tell you the actual coverage cause i havent applied it yet but it says 60 sq/ft @ 22 dry mills/30 wet- for refrence the outside of a zj hood is almost 30 sq ft- not including jambs- thats half a gallon!!

the mill rating is how thick the paint will be, @ 22 dry mills its like stone impervious supposedly, so thats what im shooting for- usually people go for 22 mills in the inside federwells, im trying to do the whole truck at that- :best: also i have to cover that forest green with yellow so it will take some coats-

yea the islands are fun for vacationing, the 3 islands are VERY diffrent-

st. thomas- busy, crowded, touristy, lots to do and see
st. john- over half the island is national reserve, beautful beaches- quiet
st. croix- same size as both other islands put together, slow, quiet, great place to relax, 4 drinking pigs, LOTS of dreadlocks-and can you say "Mon"

if you decide to come dow ill be glad to give you the tour- :D

O'Tool
03-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Tony,
I Love the look with the doors off, but I hate to think of what my arms, legs and face would look like after the satellite dish trail or the other trail that Wave sent us on...

If any of you guys get down to St. Croix, I highly recommend the "Tony Tour"! What a beautiful Island!!

By The Way, Where are the pics of this beast in yellow?? You finished yet?
Aaron

DJJordache
03-21-2006, 09:08 PM
so what did you end up doing with the Ferrari stripes? I like the idea of smoothing them out and making it all flush....

luvthejeep
03-22-2006, 12:21 AM
woot well- igot her done- finnally- the interior is still in peices and id like to paint them black bc i think the tan and yellow looks like dog shit but oh well it gets the job done for now- ill wait till the undercoating is on sale at the paint shop to do that- mmmm the smell of hot rubber...

i did a full cut on the rear fenders- had to roll the doors and whatnot- came our pretty pimp- i should be doing a writeup if everything calms down around here

ohh look a big ass mess!

ohh a bigger mess with tires!

this is the durabak up close, its got a nice texture- goes on smooth and hides EVERYTHING- i love it- i cant wait to do the bumpers and roof rack-

luvthejeep
03-22-2006, 12:25 AM
uh oh- its together! i think it came out cool- im either getting a sticker for the windsheild that says "skool bus" or tonka stickers for the side- i cant decide- i still have edging to do and some other stuff but all in all it came out pretty sweet- and btw if you dont like yellow STFU NoOB! :finga:

Deltron
03-22-2006, 01:34 AM
kickin ass and takin names! thats fuckin cool dude. You should leave the bumpers and rock sliders and rack in black, just my opinion but the bitch in me says it would look cleaner. now go burn an L drink a beer and admire your shit!

luvthejeep
03-22-2006, 01:36 AM
already on it- check post number 27

ILikeMud
03-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Looks awesome man.
I dig it.

luvthejeep
03-22-2006, 01:51 AM
so what did you end up doing with the Ferrari stripes? I like the idea of smoothing them out and making it all flush....

im not going to use them now because of the fact that i trimmed so much off the fenders that making the factory ones fit would be as much work as making real steel ones- but if your going to tyr and do it i would use either great stuff and like fill the shit out of them then sand it down or i would use seam sealer- the great stuff option would be lighter but not as flexible- the seam sealer would work if you used thin layers, just dont rush it bc if you do it wont dry.. as shown by my dumbass.... :tease:

ZJARCHER
03-22-2006, 02:29 AM
hehehe LOVE IT! freakin awesome!

ogdak
03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow, that is yellow. Cool

spykosshow
03-22-2006, 07:28 PM
How much durabek did you end up using?

ILikeMud
03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
the limited green looked better!

You don't like the school bus yellow? :D

MUDDTRACKS
03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
LOOKS GOOD:rolleyes:

luvthejeep
03-22-2006, 08:35 PM
i used all 4 gallons with nothing to spare- after touchup and whatnot- i still have the gallon of black to hit my rock rails and bumpers and roof rack- but i dont think its enugh- ill ahve to precoat them with black then hit them light with the durabak- it will hold im pretty shure-

SLO MO
03-22-2006, 10:01 PM
My eyes, my eyes :smt082.
At least you'll never lose it in a parking lot. Looks good just add some red and amber lights to it ;).

twistedxj
03-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Looks good man:smt038

luvthejeep
03-23-2006, 11:38 PM
these pics are just some little wheeling shots from around the island wheel i gave O'Tool the tour when he came down

molestation of an abandon cheby-

more molestation "kraqa" style-

where i was glad i allways cary a tire kit- found a big ass double headded nail in my rear tire

moe-

this is why i painted in duraback- alot of the trails here are like this-

luvthejeep
03-23-2006, 11:44 PM
more pics by the tidal pools-

luvthejeep
03-23-2006, 11:49 PM
OHHH TOYS!!!!! i bucked up and got a mobi-arc with a tig attachment- now i can weld on this stupid unibody well- and not have tou use a crappy flux core welder- i didnt get the preimer for one very simple reason that they frequently neglict to tell you- you cant tig or mig on the same vehicle as the unit- you will create a bad ground and short the system- with my trusty daily driver of a 79 cj-5 ill be able to swap between the 2 and tig on eachother- a 136 amp alt is in the mail somewhere- also got some euro lamps there and the cables are for welding leads-

Deltron
03-23-2006, 11:54 PM
beautiful scenery

Nick
03-24-2006, 01:21 AM
tony you are deff pimpin the tan i see there:smt025 hahaha

luvthejeep
03-24-2006, 02:05 AM
yea the only time i get a tan is when i work on the rig with my shirt off

ogdak
03-24-2006, 03:28 AM
Very cool area to live.

twistedxj
03-24-2006, 09:42 AM
So what are you doing with the cj5?

Kraqa
03-26-2006, 12:10 AM
fucking rad man!

those fenders look fraking awsome. i forgot are you comming to GSW06?

O'Tool
07-06-2006, 06:19 PM
It was definately awesome down there...
I wouldn't mind living there (especially with another mallcrawler on the Island), but my wife doesn't like the idea.
I don't think she cared too much for the 9inch long centepede that came and visited us in bed one of our last nights there...
We'll definately be down again to visit though.
(Probably next winter!!)
Aaron

97trxuszj
07-27-2006, 04:45 AM
so any update on this durabak durabuility? have you wheeled it and bashed it agains't trees I am considering doing this sence rhino linings wants 2000-2800 to spray my jeep

O'Tool
08-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Since Tony hasn't posted here since the end of March, and since I'm getting impatient to see how everything is holding up, I called him yesterday.
I wanted to make sure that this bright yellow paint didn't blind him while wheeling and cause him to go off of one of the cliffs into the ocean.:D

He's been pretty busy, but did say that the instructions for installing the durabak were inaccurate, and it caused problems with the paint adhering correctly.
I guess he is having some bubbling in the paint and is working with them to figure out what needs to be done to get it to stick properly.
So, just to let everyone know that he is alive and well, he's just being a slacker and neglecting to keep us important people informed of the things that really matter in life! :smt075
Aaron

Sudz
09-01-2006, 07:18 PM
but did say that the instructions for installing the durabak were inaccurate, and it caused problems with the paint adhering correctly.
I guess he is having some bubbling in the paint and is working with them to figure out what needs to be done to get it to stick properly.
Aaron

when i did my rockers, i thoroughly scuffed the surface with a scotch brite pad soaked with xylene - let the surface air dry - then wiped down with a clean cloth soaked with xylene - let air dry, then applied bedliner - it's holding up fine to the pennsy winters and paragon rocks

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/8161325.jpg

it's all about surface prep - got a gallon can of xylene at homeless depot - also used to thin the bedliner if needed

DanKNesS
06-02-2007, 03:18 PM
what a badass jeep! i love it! my sliderz roof rack are bright ass yellow and i think some o dat yellow liner on my rocker panels and fenders would look sweet!

i love the island pics!! damn im just green with envy.. what do you do for a living??? to live there and build such a wicked Jeep id most definately say you are living the dream, way to be bro i hope all goes well with thebubling and you guys find a solution!

CLASH
06-02-2007, 09:35 PM
im not a fan of the yellow, but very nice jeep

Katesdad
06-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Jeep is really cool! Being on that island is like working without a net.

I know alittle about durabak stuff. I used it on the wood on my front porch. $110 a gallon. The smartest thing to do is use 36 or so grit in a orbital sander and take off the paint then clean with the xylene. This as you know will give it alittle mechanical grip too. Durabak has installation instructions at their site. Also a techline. www.durabak.com (http://www.durabak.com) No I dont sell it :) just a fan.

zj95maxx
06-03-2007, 05:28 PM
did you re paint your door handles and locks? how did you keep those black? tape?
got any more pics?

looks sick