PDA

View Full Version : Creaking noise during braking and turning

Redrock5.9
02-08-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm getting an unusual creaking noise coming from the front right wheel when braking or turning. It has a plastic sound to it, if that makes sense. My first suspicion was the center cap in the wheel might be loose or in a bind, but removing it did nothing to alleviate the problem. I doubt it's the brakes, I replaced the rotors, pads and calipers all around about a year ago. Upon inspecting the brakes there are no grooves in the rotor and plenty of material on the pads. The caliper slides are greased up. The axle joint is in good condition with no slop, actually there's no slop anywhere up front. I'm just about out of ideas, and gritting my teeth at the thought of playing Russian roulette with replacement parts. Any ideas?

Rubber Chuck
02-13-2006, 06:53 AM
Can you tell where it's coming from?
My trac bar bracket(frame side) used to give me the same symptoms. Bolts were nice and tight. Took it off and found a crack.....welded up crack and all is good. Don't know if this is your issue or not, but it might be worth looking into??

Redrock5.9
02-13-2006, 06:21 PM
It's definitely coming from the front pass side, and it's provoked by touching the brakes. But unlike the usual metal on metal sound you might expect to hear coming from the brakes, this is more of a squeaking groaning sound. I'm afraid I'm going to have to start replacing parts until it's resolved. I did read somewhere that sometimes the lip of the tire against the rim can cause this sound, though I have never experienced this before on any vehicle. I have a spare, so I'll start there.