PDA

View Full Version : Weird drivetrain issues...

weiln12
02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
OK, there's something seriously funky with my drivetrain. I have a 96 ZJ, 5.2 w/ 249, but it's driving funny. It actually feels like it's locked in 4WD the whole time. Now I know the 249 and the axles are engaged all the time, but it feels like there is not enough slipping in the drivetrain. The front feels like it's really pushing on turns, especially u-turns and I can feel the tires slipping. Today, when I was doing a u-turn I could actually hear the REAR tires slipping on the pavement too, which I haven't heard before. The rear has a trak-lok, but not a locker. Shouldn't the trak-lok allow the wheels to slip in a u-turn? Could these symptoms be the VC failing and locking instead of allowing the front/rear props to spin at different speeds?

I have the 96 ZJ, so it's ratio should be 10/90 front to rear bias and not the 40/60 bias right? However, it's a very early 96, and was actually made in Nov 1995, so could it still have a 40/60 bias?

OK, just throwing stuff out there. I just don't want to be replacing hubs like crazy until I figure this out.

Thanks,
Nathan

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-07-2006, 10:27 PM
search for Viscous Coupler. if you do figure 8's in a parking lot and it bucks like its in 4WD then your VC is probably on its way out.

weiln12
02-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I saw that test, but I guess I glanced over it too quick. There is definitely some movement, that feels like like something is out of round. Sounds like a whoop..whoop sound too. Hey, if the VC is going, that's awesome! Gives me a reason to find that 242HD I want...

Hey, the truck has 135K miles, so I'd guess it's on it's way out. Darn:smt109

Nathan