PDA

View Full Version : Steering/Rear Bearing/AC Questions

weiln12
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a couple questions, and slowly the fixes are occuring and my ZJ just keeps getting better all the time...

My steering feels very...loose/weird. I say loose because it doesn't respond immediately to turning the wheel, but when it does it feels like it grabs and over-corrects. So, I look like I just downed a keg every time I drive. It also feels a lot like I'm in very windy conditions all the time. Does this make sense? I recently replaced the drivers side hub, and the passenger side is fine. The ball joints feel ok, but they could probably be replaced too, but I haven't had ball joints cause these symptoms.

Also, can anyone offer any advice on the rear axle bearing procedure? From what I can tell it involves a slide hammer, arbor press, and race puller (I think that's what it is). Others have helped describe the procedure to get the shaft out, thanks, but my questions are how difficult is it to remove the bearing and retainer? The Chiltons says to drill a hole 3/4 the way through the retainer, and break it off the shaft with a cold chisel. Is this the best way to handle this? Also, is a busted bearing what would cause a clanking type noise from the rear end, as well as a metallic spinning sound? I just picture the shaft bouncing in the tube, is this possible?

The A/C question is, that the A/C works, but the only vents that work are the defrost vents. I don't need the defrost vents, I need the front panel vents to work, if ONLY those vents. Can anyone point me in a direction to make just the front panel vents work?

OK, thanks for helping me learn. I know, I need a FSM, but eBay didn't come through, so hopefully this weekend I'll pick up a FSM from the dealer.

Thanks,
Nathan