PDA

View Full Version : Control Arm Bushings

nate
02-06-2006, 11:40 PM
This is on my Dodge (98 Ram 2500), but it has the same bushings that Jeeps use for the control arms.

I'm trying to replace the control arm bushings. Well I can't get the driver's side upper control arm off. The bolts are rusted into the metal sleeve of the bushing. I can turn it with a long breaker bar, but it's turning the sleeve as well.
So.. how do I get it out? At this point, I'd rather not destroy the bolt. There's not much room to get in there to cut it either.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-07-2006, 12:19 AM
is there not a nut on the other side?

nate
02-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Yeah it's more or less the same setup that Jeeps have. Only the upper has the both bushings in the arm instead of a bushing being in the axle housing.

I already took the nut off and tried to hammer the bolt through like I would normally do. After a good 5 whacks with my 3lb sledge and both didn't move, I knew something was up. Had no problems with the lower on that side.

luvthejeep
02-07-2006, 01:00 AM
same thing happened to me, you need to torch the head of that bolt off, trying anything else is a waste, you cant drill it or turn it out. you may be able to slide a sawzall between the ca mount and the ca bushing to cut the head off but this is why i used anti-seiez on every nut an bolt i put into back my suspension

EMTimZJ
02-07-2006, 01:52 AM
I know you said you tried a 3-pounder, but try drilling a little "cup" on the end of the bolt and put a blunt-tip on there with the air-hammer. This is how I removed mine, worked great. You could also get a chisle-tip and try to pry between the head of the bolt and the arm.

Any way you could get a ball/U-joint press on it? I'm sure there is at least part of the threaded end protruding from the other side?

HTH

-Tim

CurtP
02-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Have you soaked it with a real penetrant (like Kroil)? I had something similar happen where I couldn't get a rubber shock mount off the shock in my Formula. I had tried moderate heat (couldn't get it too hot because it was rubber) and force and it wouldn't budge. An overnight soak in Kroil got it to come out with a light tap of a small ball-peen hammer.

During the soak, I kept it wet. I'd spray it down, let it soak for awhile, then go back and spray it down again before it dried out.

nate
02-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Put some PB Blaster on it last night. I'm gonna heat the fucker and pound the living shit out of it... it'll come off... or I'll break something in the process :D

nate
02-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Well I wasted about 3hrs on that one control arm and it's still not off. Ended up having to cut the bolts, which is alot harder than you'd think. Can't get in there with a cut off wheel, and sawzall barely fits. I need to go get more blades and work on it tomorrow I guess. :wall: Shit like this is what causes drinking problems!