PDA

View Full Version : Auto Shifter interior housing

yardape52
01-31-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't know what happened to this ZJ (96) before i bought it but it seems that just about every interior bulb has blown or is soon to blow. I've already done all of the guage bezel bulbs. I never thought to test drive it in the dark. All that being said, how do I remove the black plastic housing around the auto shift selector. It appears that with a little force it will pop off but I don't want to force it and break it,... and will that get me to the bulb? Second, are the rear windshield heater and wiper switches on the front dash supposed to be illuminated? I assume so and I need to find the bulb back there as well. Thanks in advance.

Justheman80
01-31-2006, 01:46 PM
You need to remove the arm rest pad first. then the plastic tub under it. I don't remember every thing else after that but, that is were you start. You can easily figure it out from there.

All you need is a philups screwdriver.

yardape52
01-31-2006, 01:57 PM
thankyou

DJJordache
02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
your just talking about the cover with PND321 on it, just grab it by the groove for the shifter and gently pull up, no need to pull the whole console

CurtP
02-01-2006, 09:41 PM
I think he's talking about the shifter bezel. There's no need to take any screws out unless you want to remove the entire console. The shift indicator bezel just pops out and there's going to be a standard peanut bulb snapped into the bezel. The bulb holder just snaps in - you don't have to twist it or anything to get it out of the bezel (usually, it seems to be harder to get it to snap back in then it does to get it out).

It's easier to work on if you remove the shift knob first. I move the shifter all the way down into 1st, then give the knob a sharp tug. Be careful not to pop yourself in the face when the knob comes off :D