PDA

View Full Version : PSC Motorsports 621MR Steering Box

BigDaveZJ
01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
I just got off the phone with Karl over at PSC Motorsports (http://www.pscmotorsports.com/) and I've got one of their 621MR Steering Boxes on the way for my ZJ.

For those unfamiliar with the 621MR from PSC Motorsports, it is a 4-bolt box as opposed to the stock 3 bolt box. What this means is that you have an additional mounting point so that it is harder to break an ear off of the box. MANY people, myself included, have replaced steering boxes and had bad days on the trail because of this.

Here are the specs on the 621MR from PSC Motorsports:

13-16:1 variable ratio
3/4"x30 input shaft
Large 3.125" piston diameter
Metric o-ring type ports
Modified for hydro assist

This box is capable of running a hydro assist setup, as it has already been tapped for the hydraulic lines. However, I will not be taking advantage of this quite yet as I doubt my Dana 30 is up for hydro assist! But once the 30 is out, and a 60 goes in, I will be taking FULL advantage of what this box can do!

While I'm in there adding the new steering box, I will also be adding a steering box brace. I have not decided yet if I will go with a pre-fab one, or fabricate one myself, but one way or another I will have a steering brace.

Update 3/26/06

Finally had some time today to tear out the old box and get started on getting the 621MR in. It was pretty easy getting the old one out. The 621MR is in place right now, but not completely mounted.

I'm working on getting the 4th bolt mounting figured out now. I found what I think is a steel sleeve that goes inside a shock bushing and found it to be about the right length. Since it was originally a flat piece and then rolled to make the sleeve, similar to HREW, but not welded, I decided to weld it to give it some strength. After some careful grinding I got it down to size to fit in between the steering box and the unibody. Tuesday I'm going to come up with a way to figure out the best way to drill the 4th hole and finish getting the box mounted. Then I'm going to clear the pump of the old power steering fluid and get all of the lines hooked up. If I have time I'm going to get some steel to start work on the steering brace. I'll post up some details on how I'm going to fab up the steering brace once I get it all figured out myself.

I should be able to at least take the ZJ for a spin with the new box on Tuesday, so I'll post up how things go. I'll have some pics up as well of the stock box vs the 621MR as well as the spacer I made too.

UPDATE Sunday April 2nd

The box is in! I still haven't made the steering box brace yet, but will be doing that possibly next weekend.

Here's some pics of everything.

The reason this whole thing started. Notice the crack starting on the mounting ear? It's in the one spot not covered in PS fluid.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr001.jpg

Here's some comparison pics of the stock box vs the PSC 621MR. Outside of the 4th mounting hole, the bling billet caps, and the ports for hydro assist, they're about identical on the outside.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr002.jpg

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr003.jpg

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr004.jpg

Here's what I used for the spacer for the 4th bolt. I found a sleeve for a shock bushing laying around the garage and welded it up to make it basically HREW (but not really).
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr006.jpg

Next I tackled how to figure out where to drill for my 4th hole. I took some very crude measurements off the PSC box seen in this picture:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr008.jpg

And then marked off on the Jeep where the 4th hole should be based on the measurements from my piece of cardboard
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr010.jpg

Once I had the hole drilled, I slipped the bolt through the spacer and tightened up the steering box and sprayed a little primer in there to cover up any bare metal
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr011.jpg

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/productreviews/psc621mr/psc621mr012.jpg

This was definitely one of the easiest modifications I've done so far. Without the proper tools though (pitman arm puller, welder, drills, cardboard and sharpies) I can imagine it would be a much more daunting task.

I took it to work the next day to get a feel for the way the Jeep drove with the new box. I had heard a couple people say that it was almost too easy to turn the wheel with the PSC 621MR. I didn't find this to be the case at all. Driving at highway speeds there was still a good amount of road feel in the wheel, but maneuvering through parking lots and such was MUCH easier with the increased power of the PSC 621MR. In situations where it used to feel like I had no power steering at all, I'm now able to put one finger on the wheel and can turn it just fine.

I'll post up more as soon as I get the Jeep offroad again!

ROAD TEST UPDATE

Spent some time driving the ZJ on the road over the last couple weeks. About 200 miles of city and highway driving. So far I am LOVING this box! I can't wait to get it on the trail and really take full advantage of it. Tonight we were playing Shriner's Circus moving rigs around and I got in Pam's with the stock box and 245's right after driving mine with 33x12.50's and the PSC box, and there was a very significant difference in ease of turning. So far this has certainly been a worthy upgrade. I also built a steering box brace today that I'll post up some pics of soon. We'll be making another one for Pam's ZJ, and another for Tom's (Z) this weekend, so we'll have some build pics of those.

MOAB UPDATE

So now that I've some time with this box on the trail I can give a little more feedback about it. It certainly is easier to turn than the stock box. It's not a HUGE difference, but enough to where my arms and shoulders weren't sore after a day of wheeling. And the added comfort of knowing there's a 4 bolt holding it in (and the brace that I made for it) really put me at ease.

I may add a power steering fluid cooler at some point too. After a long day on the trail the box became harder to turn for a little bit. Then once the fluid cooled down, it was back to normal.

Now I just need to set up some hydro assist!!!!

LONG TERM UPDATE

Had the box in for a little less than 2 years now. There is significant movement of the sector shaft. Ease of turning is still about the same, and the 4th bolt with the brace definitely has eased my concerns of the box snapping off the mounts, but now my concern lies with the sector shaft. The box hasn't seen a TON of wheeling as my Jeep was down most of this summer, and we didn't get out as much as we wanted to in 06. I really had hoped the box wouldn't be showing such significant signs of wear this early. It's definitely an upgrade as far as ease of steering and additional mounting strength, but several other people I've talked to have developed slack in the sector shaft as well. Looks like I'll just slap a Waggy box in there when this one goes out and just drill and tap it for hydro assist when the time comes.

FINAL UPDATE
I now have a a very heavy, and rather expensive paperweight. The PSC box is out, Waggy box is in, and the dead spot seems to be gone. I'll keep the PSC box with me as a trail spare, but that's about the only good use for it at this point. Obviously YMMV, but my experience with this box has not been the greatest.

Cue-Ball
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Those things are pretty cool, AW put one on Chase's awhile back and it turned out AWESOME.

nate
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Yup I run one on mine, have had it for about a year.

Ordered one for my truck a few days ago as well. 841MX

BigDaveZJ
02-11-2006, 11:03 AM
The guy in the brown truck dropped off a really heavy box yesterday!

Gonna be putting this thing in soon, since the ZJ is kinda DOA without it. Lots of pics and thoughts on the box to come!

Cue-Ball
02-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Awesome.

nate
02-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I put the 841MX in my truck Thursday. I haven't driven the truck since it needs a few other parts night, but I have power steering and brakes now, so that's a plus. Replaced the pump, hydroboost, few lines and then the box. Of course it ended up being the box that was giving me problems.

Decent customer service from PSC, but it wasn't spectacular like the first time when I ordered my box from Tom. When it was just him and his wife running the place.
The first box then sent for my truck got shipped an old address in Alaska. I'm not sure who messed up, but I gave them my Idaho address. They ended up having to build another box and sent it to the proper address.

The workmanship was better IMO though. So whoever is building the boxes is taking pride in their work.

You know what's messed up? The Dodge box is bascially the same as the stock ZJ box. Only 3 1/2" bolts hold it on. 7000lb truck empty.

BigDaveZJ
03-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Updated the original post.

nate
03-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Dave, what I did to mount that 4th hole is I guesstimated where I needed to make my hole, took a hole saw and cut though the sheetmetal. Slide a piece of tubing in there, welded it and done... Bascially that's how the factory mounts are.

Z
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Dave, what I did to mount that 4th hole is I guesstimated where I needed to make my hole, took a hole saw and cut though the sheetmetal. Slide a piece of tubing in there, welded it and done... Bascially that's how the factory mounts are.

Now THAT's a smart way of doing it. Hmmm, I think I need to retrofit that to my PSC.

BigDaveZJ
03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
nate, that's basically what I'll be doing. The factory holes are a little bigger than the bolts already, bolts are 3/8" and the holes are 1/2" from what I remember, so I was just going to drill it with a 1/2" and hope I get it right!

nate
03-27-2006, 09:23 PM
I used I think a 1 1/4" hole saw, 1" OD tube I believe.

BigDaveZJ
03-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Finished up getting the box in today. Outside of missing my drill mark by about 3/16" of an inch it went VERY smoothly. I took the ZJ out for a spin around the neighborhood once I get the steering fluid topped off and holy crap does it steer easy now! Definitely digging the new box in a major way. I've got a bunch of pics too of how I did things and will get them posted up here soon along with a full writeup on the installation and a review of the product. I'll also be building a steering box brace and will post up a writeup on that too.

BigDaveZJ
04-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Updated to include pics and a review of the test drive.

zjrick
04-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Did the same on mine late last year.

Sooo much better than the stock even without the hydro assist connected. Eventally I also hooked up the hydro assist and the PSC pump with remote reserv. Best Mod I've done.

Point and Shoot steering!

chadjans
05-15-2006, 11:16 PM
You might want to shim up the gap between your spacer and the top of the frame rail and weld it all in. Mine only took an 1/8" shim to fill the gap between the spacer and the frame rail.

Chad

JHKolb
05-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Anyone know how similiar (or not) the ZJ box is to the WJ? I know mine is going and don't really want to put an OEM box in.

canadian_driver
06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
how does the hydro assist steering work? do you just need a resvior and cylinder or a pump aswell?

nate
06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Just a cylinder and lines to the box AFAIK.

BigDaveZJ
06-13-2006, 12:53 PM
bump for the moab update

OHIOZJ
07-13-2006, 11:06 AM
first off nice write up. i plan on ordering mine here soon.

my question is do you think temporarily that you could get away with not installing the 4th bolt? if i get it i am going to have to put it in and then drive it somewhere to get the sleeve welded in. im sure it will be ok since the stock box only uses the 3 bolts. i know the 4th makes it much stronger. i just dont want it to ruin anything.....

nate
07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Sure, the 4th bolt is just an extra.

canadian_driver
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
i just stuck mine in today, and i love it, its a great choice, i didnt put the 4th bolt in yet, but i plan too, however it doesnt seem to be loose or anything, it is a big diffrence from stock

Sandy R
04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Curious if anybody has any updates on their experience? Mine has now been in for about 10 months but for only about 3,000 miles. I have a lot of play that has developed. I ordered a steering brace from Kevin but I don't believe that will prevent or cure the slop IN the box. While I enjoy the power I'm not finding this an extreme unit. How about you guys? Am I missing something?

BigDaveZJ
04-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Sandy,
I have a lot of slop in mine too, but in looking at it I believe it's slop coming from the steering column itself. Could be wrong though.

Sandy R
04-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Sandy,
I have a lot of slop in mine too, but in looking at it I believe it's slop coming from the steering column itself. Could be wrong though.

Hmm, OK, I hadn't considered that as the cause. Thanks for the feedback.

ATL ZJ
04-28-2007, 01:30 PM
The ujoints in our steering shafts tend to develop play. You can try tightening the sector shaft/worm gear mesh very slightly, which may help some. A lot of play also develops in the spool valve area of saginaw boxes. If it's really bothering you, give Matt at West Texas Offroad a call and he will be able to explain what's going on a little better and let you know your options.

Sudz
04-28-2007, 08:59 PM
sandy - contact kelvin (http://www.pscmotorsports.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=448f5071f4c69fe4ca0fcf0795fd f575) at PSC directly - he is extremely knowledgable and will help you troubleshoot the problem

he responds quick to emails - good peeps

Sandy R
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
sandy - contact kelvin (http://www.pscmotorsports.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=448f5071f4c69fe4ca0fcf0795fd f575) at PSC directly - he is extremely knowledgable and will help you troubleshoot the problem

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions from you guys. I will shoot off an email to Kelvin and get his ideas first since that is where the box was bought. Thanks again.

death-mobile
04-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Awsome write-up. I plan on putting a PSC in my WJ soon. I called them up and the pricing is pretty reasonable. Let us know what turns out to be with the slop you are experiencing.

canadian_driver
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
one problem with my box ive developed, is that some how the threads in one of the ears have become worn down and the bolt became loose and fell out, no idea how it happened or why but a longer bolt and an nut solved the problem pretty quick

zj95maxx
08-19-2007, 03:05 PM
how well does this box compare to the durango box

BigDaveZJ
10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
So after having this box in for a year and a half and doing a fair amount of wheeling with it, and less than 1,000 road miles, I think it's about done. There is a considerable amount of lateral movement in the sector shaft. I'm gonna contact PSC when I get back from Moab to see if there's anything that can be done, but I'm guessing I'll be needed another steering box.

Matt
10-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I swapped out my PSC box for a Waggy box, I couldn't justify spending another $400. Fixed my steering problems so far (fingers crossed).

Sandy R
10-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Dave, I sent in a concern back in April and this was their response. I have done nothing with it or to it yet though.

Have you tried adjusting the box? Can you get me a casting # from below the
four bolt Cover.

Kelvin Jackson
PSC Motorsports
817-270-0102

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:13 PM
To: PSC Motorsports
Subject: Enquiry from PSC Motorsports

About 10 months or so ago I bought a box for my 95 ZJ based on one of the forum reviews (Mallcrawlin) and had it professionally installed at JC Fab & Design. I believe the 621 is the unit I bought. Anyway, since that time I've put about 3,000 miles on it and it has developed quite a bit of play (slop). I've also upgraded the other steering components but apparently they are not the problem. I'm wondering if you have any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks.

KDUB
10-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Dave, how did the box hold up during this trip to moab? Have you had time to contact PSC and hear what they have to say? Let us know what's going on.

BigDaveZJ
10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
It held up just fine out in Moab, but the amount of play in the sector shaft has definitely increased over the summer. I emailed PSC and am awaiting a response.

adam99wj
11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
any updates?????

BigDaveZJ
11-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Nothin, still no word back from PSC either. Might give them a call here sometime soon.

Kraqa
11-08-2007, 10:12 PM

Kelvin is the shit!!!!

got me hooked up withj my hydro stuff fast and cheep. Can't wait for the New ZJ buggy to be rockin so i can do a write-up.

BigDaveZJ
11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Added a long term update.

Cue-Ball
11-16-2007, 02:50 AM
I am working with Old Town Customs in Texas right now and they are the test bead for Tom and the guys at PSC, so if you need an in let me know I might be able to help out.

Hoping to get Amsoil as the recommended fluid for all the PSC stuff. Carl at OTC is currently testing the tractor fluid on a full hydro buggy with rear steer to see if that cures all the overheating issues that are common with full hyrdo. The initial test last weekend turned out great, so we shall see.

KDUB
11-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Added a long term update.

Have you heard anything back from PSC yet?

BigDaveZJ
11-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Have you heard anything back from PSC yet?

Negative. At this point it really doesn't matter either, it's well out of any warranty, but for the money spent it should last longer than it did.

nate
11-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Something doesn't sound right with that box. I've had one on my Jeep since 2004 and I put one on my truck in 2005. Both working fine.

So no one at PSC has answered the phone since October?? Or did you not call them?

BigDaveZJ
11-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Haven't tried calling them, only email. But the product is out of warranty so I wouldn't expect them to do anything anyways.

KDUB
11-16-2007, 10:28 PM
I wasn't referring to the warranty. I was wondering what they have to say about it wearing out so quickly and it having (I assume) not been abused. They claim high quality, yet there are two cases on here where their boxes have failed with little use. Just my .02

4wheeln ZJ
11-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I swapped out my PSC box for a Waggy box, I couldn't justify spending another $400. Fixed my steering problems so far (fingers crossed).
What year waggy box do I want to buy? Can I buy it at a auto parts store or do I have to get it at the jeep dealership? Mike

nate
11-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Ah!

If I have a problem with something, I normally just call. It's a lot easier to get it fixed than farting around with emails all day.

You sound like my boss, his desk is right next time mine and he will email me with shit to do. :smt042

skrracing
01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a 94 ZJ and the stock steering gear box is about to let go any time now. I looked at the PSC box as well but sounds like the Waggy box might be a good fit as well. Anyone know if there is a stock Waggy box that will bolt in and be able to add the 4th bolt? I need to pick one up very soon so I want to get it tight the first time around. KNow what year waggy box I need and any mods I need to do for the install. Thanks. Later...Clint

jfowlzj95
01-08-2008, 04:28 AM
I have a 94 ZJ and the stock steering gear box is about to let go any time now. I looked at the PSC box as well but sounds like the Waggy box might be a good fit as well. Anyone know if there is a stock Waggy box that will bolt in and be able to add the 4th bolt? I need to pick one up very soon so I want to get it tight the first time around. KNow what year waggy box I need and any mods I need to do for the install. Thanks. Later...Clint

You'll want a box from 1980 or newer with the o-ring fittings, that way your fluid lines will be a straight bolt on. Everything else like pitman arm (make sure you use the ZJ one) and steering shaft will already bolt up.

Matt
01-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I went to Napa and bought a reman waggy box (I think I said 1984), it was about $160 with a $150 core charge AND was in stock. Pretty much a direct bolt in, just drill the 4th hole.

gonecheenin
01-18-2008, 07:46 PM
joined the cracked mounting ear club this week (could have happened earlier, but only found it this week due to trying to figure out why my 93' drove like ass)

Sucks that PSC sounds like a waste of money for a frequently driven rig

Due to this write up I'm going to try a YJ box swap instead since I already have a rebuilt one & it will upgrade me to 4 mounting bolts & a consistant assist ratio (plan to drill it for hydro assist also)

RockZJ311
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
This totally sucks...I was looking into the PSC because I thought it was going to be a worth while upgrade but after reading this I will just get a Waggy box.

Let me get this straight, I need a Waggy box from a 1980 or newer Wagoneer? With O-Ring style what? I am new to this steering box upgrade stuff so any input will be greatly appreciated. My 97 box is toast, I tried adjusting it and its nothing but slop on the road I can turn the wheel probably a complete half turn before anything happens...not good

RockZJ

RockZJ311
01-27-2008, 12:07 AM
What about the Grand Wagoneer AGR Super Box II?

RockZJ

cLAYH
01-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Quite a few of the XJ guys are running Durango boxes. Still only 3 bolts but the piston has a bigger bore. Anyone here tried one?

Colorado 5.9
01-27-2008, 04:00 AM
I just have to ad thay my PSC box has had no problems. It's just as tight as the day I put it in 2 1/2 years ago.

zj95maxx
01-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Quite a few of the XJ guys are running Durango boxes. Still only 3 bolts but the piston has a bigger bore. Anyone here tried one?

I had a durango box in mine for a month or so..pretty nice..

jfowlzj95
01-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Let me get this straight, I need a Waggy box from a 1980 or newer Wagoneer? With O-Ring style what?

RockZJ

1980 or newer Waggy with the o-ring style fittings on the fluid lines so you can use your stock fluid lines with the box.

cLAYH
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
I had a durango box in mine for a month or so..pretty nice..

Why only a month? Any reduction in turning radius?

Jim311
02-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I was under the impression that the Waggy/J10 boxes were NOT the real deal unless you got them straight from a J10 that had an OEM steering box.

Matt
02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
That was the J20 boxes I believe, which are better than a Waggy box if you can find one.

jfowlzj95
02-02-2008, 04:10 AM
I was under the impression that the Waggy/J10 boxes were NOT the real deal unless you got them straight from a J10 that had an OEM steering box.

Yeah the J20 box is the one that's hard to find, most auto part stores will give you the Waggy/J10 box if you ask for the J20.

skrracing
02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I just picked up a waggy box from NAPA as well. They told me the std waggy is still a 3 bolt setup but the 85 grand waggy is a 4 bolt. I will get it installed this week and report back. I have got 12 in of snow and just believe I want to go out to deal with it today. My stock box is WORN OUT and leaking bad. It drives like a snake going down the road. I can not wait to get this done. I just got back from a 3 week trip and at least need a days break. I will report back this week. Later...Clint

death-mobile
02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
This totally sucks...I was looking into the PSC because I thought it was going to be a worth while upgrade but after reading this I will just get a Waggy box.

Let me get this straight, I need a Waggy box from a 1980 or newer Wagoneer? With O-Ring style what? I am new to this steering box upgrade stuff so any input will be greatly appreciated. My 97 box is toast, I tried adjusting it and its nothing but slop on the road I can turn the wheel probably a complete half turn before anything happens...not good

RockZJ

The gear box on my jeep is leaking pretty bad, and it's a little sloppy at this point. Two questions for you guys:

Is the waggy box that much better than the box from my 00WJ?

Is the waggy box a direct replacement for my 00WJ?

skrracing
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
OK, Got the new steering box installed and it works great. I have not added the 4th hole mount yet but will get it done very soon. When I pulled the pitman arm... The guts fell out of the old box... Man that thing was a lot worse then I knew.
The box I ordered from NAPA was part number 27-6528 for a 85 Grand Waggy.
Bolted right in. everything was the same except it has the 4 mounting holes and I am told that it is a much better (stronger) box. I have a 94 ZJ so I am not sure what esle it fits but it sure wirked great in the ZJ. Hope this info helps some of you out. Later...Clint

BigDaveZJ
02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Clint, is it any easier to turn the wheels with the new box?

EDIT: Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did the new box run you? Can't find it on NAPA's website.

death-mobile
02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Has anyone done this with a WJ? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

jfowlzj95
02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
EDIT: Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did the new box run you? Can't find it on NAPA's website.

When I got my box I think it was around $160 from NAPA.

skrracing
02-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Yea I think about 160...My wife picked it up while I was out of town. The steering is very easy but no leaks now and the steering slop is gone. Man it was all over the road. It's nice to have some good steering again. Be sure to go through the correct purge to get all the air out of the system. Later...Clint

gonecheenin
02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
After thinking about it awhile, is it possible that the PSC box was simply destroying itself turning locked big tires with an assist cylinder?

All that extra turning effort is directed straight at the sector shaft bushing/bearing, so maybe whats so great about the PSC is also causing the problems & those who have no problems are turning smaller tires or not wheeling as hard?

death-mobile
02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15144

I started a thread because I originally had a plan to have PSC make a box for me, but seeing as how it is as expensive as it is AND that is seems to have problems, I wanted some feedback on what's up with the WJ stock steering box. It seems to be superior if some people are wheeling 39's without issues.

gonecheenin
02-17-2008, 09:14 PM
The steering is very easy but no leaks now and the steering slop is gone. Man it was all over the road. It's nice to have some good steering again.

Does the steering feel easier then the when you had the ZJ box?

I installed a reman 4bolt YJ box with Kevins steering brace on my zj this weekend & everything worked out fantastic as well as massively increasing the stability & control on the highway

But the damn thing is harder to turn the tires then the ZJ box was?????

All I changed was the box, bled it out & everything before putting it to use etc.....

Checked the gear mesh & their doesn't seem to be any binding there at all

Would the YJ box have a much smaller piston then the ZJ box which is smaller then that Grand Waggy box??????
I'd really like the grand to steer effortlessly on the road like my old late 70's early 80's Chevy truck's did

Anyone have a link or resource to saginaw steering box specs?

gonecheenin
03-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I did some research on NAPA's website today & according to their website YJ's and 80's J10's, Grandwagoneers, and J20's all use the same part# box (which is what I have on my Grand currently)

My problem must be due to them selling the same box to cover so many varying vehicles, so I have two options go back to the 3 bolt ZJ box (which should work fine with my Kevins steering brace)

Or mod the pump to help the current box work as easily as the previous ZJ box (which doesn't make much sense since the ZJ box is supposed to have a 12.7:1 quicker gear ratio compared to the YJ's 14:1 gear ratio-the damn YJ box should be slower but WAY stronger)

When I say easily though I'm refering to the "turn in effort" (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221200&highlight=saginaw+effort), perhaps there is an issue with the "T-bar" in my new box being so much stronger for use in short AND long wheelbase rigs compared to the original ZJ box's "luxury" design (and hopefully its replacement)

BigDaveZJ
04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Added a final update. The PSC box has been replaced with a Waggy box and the PSC is now a trail spare since that's about all its good for.

Sudz
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Added a final update. The PSC box has been replaced with a Waggy box and the PSC is now a trail spare since that's about all its good for.

dave, i would open up the PSC and find out what’s wrong with it – should be repairable – worst case you just clean it up and put it back together - it’s a damn shame you couldn’t get PSC to step up to the plate and back their product

BigDaveZJ
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Eh, it was out of warranty anyways, so I can't blame PSC too much for not covering it. But under the rather light use it saw it should've lasted longer. In another PSC thread somewhere I read that PSC even admitted they don't have the proper equipment for QA to make sure this kind of stuff happens. If I paid retail for the box and had this happen I'd be pretty pissed, but oh well. Now I've got a blingin paperweight!

Sudz
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
i emailed kelvin a link to this thread - his email reply to me:

I read through the post. If Dave would send the box back to us I would find out what the problem is and get it fixed and 90% of the time no matter how old it is all you have to do is pay freight to us. Every Gear is tested and road simulated. I asked for the Casting # off of the Box for this reason, the #26055055 Durango box which everybody searches for is not all it is cracked up to be. There is no sector shaft support like the earlier #962 castings that we use. It is however a large piston which in a stock sized tire vehicle works fine but put it in a large tire locked situation and the sector shaft will walk in the housing. We did use the #055 casting for a short period of time until we saw this issue rear its ugly head. Now the #055 gears, if one comes across our path, is gutted and the housing hits the scrap pile. Anytime a customer calls with a problem with one of our gears and they are found to have the coveted Durango box I have them send it in and I replace it. Thanks for the heads up Ron. Please feel free to post this on the site and have anybody with any problem with our product call. We don’t bite like the competition.

Kelvin Jackson
PSC Motorsports
817-270-0102

dave, i say give him a shot at fixin' this thing :best:

BigDaveZJ
04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
I've tried contacting them twice already with no response, not really sure it's worth it at this point. Best case scenario now I guess is if they do end up fixing the box I can put it in Pam's ZJ and keep her stock box as a spare since with the high # of ZJ's I wheel with the chances of a box breaking are pretty high.

ATL ZJ
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Wow GREAT info about the DUNGrango box... All along my gut told me that it sucked.. After all, how is a THREE bolt box even close to an upgrade? :confused:

fpkites
07-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I did some research on Napa's site, and it looks like the current waggy box part number is NSP 88277079 (Reman)

Figured that would help folks that are checking for parts store replacements.

ZJ TINS
07-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Thought I would bump this. This winter I had my box replaced (due to cold/wet, not a drivway thing I would do). Anyway they replaced it with a AC Delco ZJ unit. Upon replacement the turning was more difficult at near-zero speed. I have Kevins support. It was never that difficult before the support (with a worn steering box). I am begining to wonder if the stock mounting actually flexes a bit, and any additional support forces the steering to take the full stress. At least that theory fits all the comments to date. I plan on looking into the pressure mod where I read about drilling out a couple holes internally to increase flow.

DJJordache
07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
could just be a bad reman job, I had that happen on my brothers XJ (same box as our ZJ's) so I went and got ANOTHER reman and that one was fine.

BigDaveZJ
08-24-2015, 09:02 PM
So my Waggy box has now fully shat itself as well. Significant lateral play in the sector shaft, AND my pitman arm is cracked. Now to find a receipt for the box from 7 years ago, lifetime warranty!

Ted_Z
08-24-2015, 09:57 PM
3+ years, not quite the oldest thread revival. Good job but better luck next time...

Ted_Z
09-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Epic old thread revival...

only because I likely have a steering gear swap in the near future. I'm currently on my second box, 3-bolt, with a brace. Currently getting some strange noises from the box, and some sector shaft play. Looking to go to a 4-bolt waggy/J-10 box. Do the 4-bolt now, and add hydro assist this winter. PN I'm looking at is LARES 1182.

Edited to add, Actually looking at ACDelco 36G0052 now. Application is for:
JEEP CHEROKEE 1980-1983
JEEP GRAND WAGONEER 1984-1991
JEEP J10 1980-1988
JEEP J20 1980-1988
JEEP WAGONEER 1980-1983
JEEP WRANGLER 1987-1995

Ted_Z
09-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Well, it seems I cannot find any supplier that has a post 1980 wagoneer or J truck steering box available.

Does anyone know an alternate 4-bolt box with o-ring fittings that would work? I read that the Durango box would be an "upgrade" but only has 3 bolts.

BigDaveZJ
09-03-2019, 08:00 PM
I've gotten my 4 bolt boxes from Napa, let me see if I can find a PN.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigDaveZJ
09-03-2019, 08:03 PM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190904/fc0aef6812979424055ac621f0cfaba6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yjsaabman717
09-04-2019, 06:33 AM
RockAuto is showing availability of the ACDelco part number.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1984,grand+wagoneer,5.9l+360cid+v8,1182305,st eering,steering+gear,7416

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ted_Z
09-05-2019, 11:42 AM
RockAuto is showing availability of the ACDelco part number.

hmmm, says "delayed"...

I found a used one, $100 shipped. I can get a rebuild kit for ~$20 and I'll be tearing it down anyway to tap for hydro assist anyway.

Yjsaabman717
09-05-2019, 12:31 PM
hmmm, says "delayed"...

I found a used one, $100 shipped. I can get a rebuild kit for ~$20 and I'll be tearing it down anyway to tap for hydro assist anyway.Drop ships from the rebuilder, not one of their warehouses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk