PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 242 transfer case chain...

BC98
01-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey, everyone. I'll be replacing the chain in my transfer case this weekend and had some questions as this is the first time I've cracked a transfer case open.

1. Can I replace the chain with the TC still in the vehicle?

2. Are there any special tools I'll need (i.e. snap ring pliers, etc.)?

3. Any tips from those who have done this before?

Thanks for the help.

BC98
01-20-2006, 10:37 PM
I started digging into this tonight. I've got the transfer case pulled out of the ZJ and I'm following the FSM (thanks again, Dirk) for the disassembly portion.

The FSM list some special tool (looks like some kind of gear puller) to pull a slinger off the the backside of the output shaft. My question is: how do I get that damn slinger deal off the output?

I'd really appreciate some input from anyone who has cracked into a 242 case before. Thanks.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-20-2006, 10:42 PM
get a decent set of snap ring pliers. also it takes 15 mins to pull the tcase out, just go ahead and pull it, your life will be alot easier.

BC98
01-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Got the snap ring pliers so I'm set there. Just not sure about this slinger deal that's on the output shaft. I can't get it off with my caveman style of auto repair (beat the shit off with a hammer) and it looks like there's a snap ring or two behind this thing.

What the hell do I do with it?

Cue-Ball
01-21-2006, 01:10 AM
No problem, glad the manual is helping somewhat.

NewMexZJ
03-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey BC keep us updated man. I'm on my second 242 right now and it started makeing that loud clicking noise yesterday. So I would like to rebuild my original 242 with heavy duty parts. Also where did you buy your new chain?

BC98
03-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I finished the chain swap a while ago and all seems to be well. I still have to replace the o-ring on the speedo sensor housing because I ripped the old one. I would definitely recommend ordering the rear slinger, and whichever seals come off the tailshaft before you can get to the chain.

Also, make sure you have the correct style of snap ring pliers. I didn't have the right ones and it turned a half hour job into a 3-day job because I had to order a new snap ring from the dealership (I twisted one of the old ones). Also, make sure that you have a good seal install tool. I didn't but I made due with two pieces of 2x4 (don't ask).

My old chain had actually worn so much that I could almost squeeze it together. Plus the centering connectors on the links had worn so that the chain could slide around on the sprockets and rub on the inside of the case.