PDA

View Full Version : Couple Problems

weiln12
01-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey Guys, could use a little help. My 96 ZJ iw having some issues, and I wanted to clarify what's going on.

I have a 96 ZJ with the 5.2, and have recently replaced the CV shafts, because the boots were completely torn away. However, on the drivers side there is still a detectable wobble, mostly noticable when turning right. Going straight and turning left, nothing detectable, but serious wobble when turning right. There is also noticable wheel play on the drivers side wheel, and it appears to me that the cv shaft is moving slightly inside the hub. Does this sound like I need a new hub?

Second issue, it sounds like the passenger side rear wheel bearing is bad, it sounds like a metallic sound coming from that side that is constant, and increases with wheel speed. Doesn't sound like grinding, but does sound like metal on metal. My dad listened and said it's bearing growl, and that we just need to replace the bearings. However, I haven't received my FSM yet, and the Chiltons doesn't make it look that good. Sounds like a difficult process and I'm concerned about the fact I have a Trac-Lok on a Dana 44A. Do I need to remove the carrier in order to remove the shaft, and would that light metallic sound be a bearing? The truck has 133K miles on it and was very abused before I bought it.

Next, and lastly, there is a hissing sound coming from the engine compartment. I can't locate exactly what it is or where it's coming from, but it definitely sounds like an air leak. I've recently replace the MAP sensor, and the TB gasket and everything is connected correctly and tight, so I'm not sure where the air leak would be coming from. I'm concerned it has something to do with the TB, since the MAP sensor is still reading low from the PCM as monitored with a computer (however the voltage is correct), so I'm not sure if there is an air leak that I'm not seeing. Any ideas, or places to look?

Sorry for the questions, I'm eagerly awaiting my FSM so I don't have to bother you guys with these questions...

Thanks for all your help guys...
Nathan

Swamp boy
01-16-2006, 03:04 AM
Sounds like you might have a bad unit bearing on your front... Jack it up til the tire is off the ground grab the tire at 9 and 3 and wiggle.. If it wiggles you have bad bearings then grab it at 12 and 6 and wiggle.. If it wiggles you have bad ball joints..

And as for the back.. You do not need to take the carrier out to pull the axle but you will need to take the diff cover off and pull the center pin out.. Then pull the C clip out of the axle you are going to pull .....

To remove the center pin you will need a 12 point 8 mm wrench.. to take the retaining bolt out.. Then tap out the pin.. You should then be able to push in on the tire and pull the c clip.. Then pull the axle out...

Now go do it.....

weiln12
01-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Is that the same center pin that is snapped and holding up the process of putting in the Aussie Locker? The pin that seems to be very fragile? If I have to take that pin out, is there a better replacement bolt for the center pin?

Thanks,
Nathan

DCHZJ
01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Same pin. Maybe you will lucky like me and it feel apart in my hands. Got a new one. Check the Thread for the part number in case you need it.
That type of pin is a problem on most C clipped axles. just ask the 8.8 guys. When i rebuilt my 8.8 in my bronco it was broken like Dave's.