PDA

View Full Version : Heat Won't Work... AGAIN!!! HELP

KeepItCrunk
01-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Ok, so my heats been busted. I did everything boost said and its in the switches, err im pretty sure. When i have the ehat on high, the fan won't turn on. In the beginning, id notice if the AC button was lit up, and i turned it off, the heat would come on. IDK if this was a complete coincedence or had something to do with it. Then that didn;t work, so I would hit the fan controls with my hand pretty good, and the high speed would kick back on. Now it won't come on at all. high speed it totally broke, i mean, i can live with the first 3, but trying to warm the car uptakes longer, and so does thawing out the windsheilf (i live in massachusetts). The motor is new, and all the terminals are clean and corrosion free, so im guessing its most likely in the speed control itself. maybe the switch is bad. Lemme know if this happened to any of you. And if any of you have that speed/heat/zone control from the dash... i may be interested lol.:confused: :confused: :confused: (me):smt071 Jeep(again)

Krash80
01-11-2006, 02:17 AM
have you tried swapping out the variable resistor (the big one under the passenger side dash...looks like a baby amplifier, has a black face that plugs into a harness, is held in by 3 screws and has heat-sinks on it) to see if that fixes it? Those resister cause the heat system to do crazy things. Craziest part is that it's a Delco part...now wonder they screw up so much.

CurtP
01-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Does yours have manual controls or ATC?

KeepItCrunk
01-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, ill go to the junkyard this sat morn and maybe grab a set of controls and that variable resistor you were talking about. Im guessing i have ATC controls... beucase there not manual, im a new bie to the whole heating system thing... my yj was pretty much as simple as u can get. You can actually see all the parts, see them work, and see how they work by looking at your feet. Ill let u know if its any diff saturday... but thats depending on how cruddy its gonna go, and where my patience is gonna run out.:smt099

CurtP
01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
ATC has a digital display, manual doesn't. I've changed mine from manual to ATC. If you go to the junkyard to get a resistor, you'll have to get one from a vehicle that has the same system as you have. Probably one of the first things I'd do is go through the fuses to make sure they're all good, then pull the HVAC controls and reseat the electrical connector on the control panel and all sensors.

The ATC has several sensors that can go bad too. There's on up on the dash (in the middle, dome shaped). There's one beside the VIC behind those little openings towards the passenger side. That particular sensor has air drawn over it constantly and the thermisistor in it will get covered in crap. It can be cleaned if you're careful.

If you're going to go find parts at the junkyard, I'd try to pick up all four major parts - the sensors, the resistor and the control panel. If yours is manually controlled, then all you'll need is the controls and the resistor.

FWIW, the fan resistor isn't variable. It has different resistance depending on which pin is used which gives you the different fan speeds.