PDA

View Full Version : toyota front axles

jeepnzj1
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
any one know how strong these are i know i had a 84 toy 4x4 and that fucker held up through lots of abuse never had axle probs. im doing a 9'' rear right know and have access to some toy axles just curiouse what you guys think.

KeepItCrunk
01-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, a friend of mine.... let me rephrase... a kid i know has 3 landcruisers all with front solid axles, obv. One has like a 6 inch superlift and he bought it with 35 14.50 16 thornturds. He swapped em out for 33 12.50 16 BFG a/t's. One day he was tellin me my yj sucked (33 12.50 mud terrains, locked rear, 3.5 inch fabtech, 5 speed), so i told him 2wd whatever he did in 4wd. He was climbing a hill,and then he drove up in between two piles and there was a snap and he was back in 2wd. so we check the hubs, etc etc etc, and i pulled him out. they took the axle apart the next day and he had broken an inner shaft. screwey thing was... it was like a 6 spline or something wicked weird like that, and then he took that shaft out of another one of his cruisers, and it was a 20-something spline, and then in his parts cruiser, that was another spline count. Im not aware of the exacts, but all 3 are within 3 model years of eachother. 69, 71 and 74 i think, id have to ask him on the spilne count, ill get back to you ohn that. all three has i think a 230 straight 6, and one was a 4 on the floor, the other was a 3 on the floor and the OTHER was 3 on the tree... Hard to beleive someone made somethin more ghetto then jeep :D . Hes a wicked yota man, so ill have to ask. ill get abck to you for sure

scottb
01-11-2006, 03:33 AM
stock 85 toy axles are somewhere in strenth around a dana 44 i believe. they did an axle test on pirate. they hold up to 33's no problem stock and with longfields they will hold like 40's and up i've heard.

jeepnzj1
01-11-2006, 02:03 PM
thats what i thought or also heard and seen toy axles are strong have a 9'' and may put a toy axle in the front i like the hole 3rd member deal. NO C CLIPS they suck it makes for a mess when you brake c cliped axles on the trail that sucks.

KeepItCrunk
01-11-2006, 10:54 PM
"thats what i thought or also heard and seen toy axles are strong have a 9'' and may put a toy axle in the front i like the hole 3rd member deal. NO C CLIPS they suck it makes for a mess when you brake c cliped axles on the trail that sucks."

Thats why im buil;ding a 9 for the rear and hoepfully a custom 9 for the front... 3rd member=:smt040 no c-clips=:smt026
lol. go for it man, i would.

zjinprogress
01-12-2006, 12:15 AM
yota's are strong shit...if you get the right ones. i don't know about old school cruisers but the fj-80 has some pretty stout parts on it. and the 84 and 85 axles are fairly well gusseted and like any other axle can be built to the hilt, but keep in mind it may be fine for a yota on 35's but i would imagine our jeeps weigh more up front than a 4 popper yota.

Mike

jeepnzj1
01-12-2006, 01:53 AM
right on guys thanks for the input.