PDA

View Full Version : rubicon t-case

delawhere
01-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I have the chance to get ahold of one and I just wanted to know if it will work at all I'm getting a 231 but if I can use the rubi t-case I would rather do that

ILikeMud
01-10-2006, 12:05 AM
As long as the input shaft has the correct spline count I don't see why not.

DND
01-10-2006, 01:01 AM
I swapped one into my 98 last spring. The input was the proper spline and length, for mine. Your mileage may vary, check to be sure. I don't know if it makes a difference if the Rubi donor is a manual or auto.

The case is larger than the 249 and as such it rested on the trans mount. I fabbed up a spacer to raise the trans/tcase a bit. If you run headers you may need to massage the firewall a bit depending on how much you lift it. Passenger side was too close for comfort for me.

Swap the otuput yokes according to what you will be running for D/S's. I swapped the 1330 front output and run it out back in place of the damper/flange set up. Up front I re-used the 1310 yoke from the 249.

The VIC switch needs to be swapped as the plugs don't match. I just re-used the one from the 249 with a spacer to match the depth of the 241 unit. That will be self explanitory when you see it. I don't know or care if the signal being sent is correct as my VIC is now a switch panel.

Shifter linkage I can't offer anything on as I went with the Novak unit.

The 4:1 is great if your wheeling style justifies it. Next you'll want to upgrade the brakes as it'll over power them in low range now.

Hope that helps.

ptownTSI
01-10-2006, 04:37 AM
why not just get an atlas? how much are you paying for the rubi case?

ggruszynski
01-22-2006, 09:55 PM
DND,
Any pics? Any more details? Just bought one and am looking at swapping in the next few weeks.

Gabe

delawhere
01-23-2006, 12:26 AM
No never got to do it I just put in a 241 insted

DND
01-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Sorry, I didn't take any pics, we were on a serious wrench fest time budget as we did the Tcase, Claytons LA's, steering, Tbar and swapped in new axles F&R (including a locker install, CA and spring mounts etc) in five days, on our backs in pissing rain. It looks just like every other tcase out there. The swap is really quite straight forward. The minor issues with the mount contact and VIC switch are easily dealt with and the yokes are a simple swap if you need to match your previous front shaft. I don't know if the 95 has the same style trans mount as a 98, you might be fine. You might want to check your speedometer connection style. Mine was the same but I've heard of others that had to swap to the Rubi style plug, again a simple fix, cut and splice.

Seriously, set aside a few hours and make sure you're feeling strong to bench-press and manipulate that thing into place. The only real challenge you might face that I didn't is the linkage if you want to use an OE shifter.

Hope that helps a bit,
Dave

Cody
01-23-2006, 02:23 AM
I seriously hope you didn't spend more than 6-800 on that.
FWIW, if you have the v8 it should be the same input shaft but you never know. just measure it before you put it in--there are 3 different input shafts that came in grands throughout the years but one is more common than the rest and it is the same as the one the 4.0 tj's have.

Cody

DND
01-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey Cody, I know what you're saying. I was about to go with an Atlas but the deal of the century for a new 241 presented itself. For me there was no decision to make. It's working fine for me, just no 2Lo options yet, oh well.

Cody
01-23-2006, 05:37 PM
it's not 2 lo that makes an atlas better. It's gear driven, more compact, stronger, and has front and rear selectability. Front digs is a godsend once you get used to having it.

Most people assume Atlas' are super spendy, but if you look around you can find them new for 1800 or even quite a bit less than that built to your specs.

Cody

DND
01-23-2006, 07:59 PM
For me it was two factors - The 241 was silly cheap, to the point I couldn't pass it up. It was less than half the price of an Atlas, plus I got a $250 core charge back for my 249. The there's the uni-body issue of how hard do I want to push this platform. Mine's still a DD/weekend wheeler that so far is getting me where I want to go while staying fairly straight and I'd like to keep it that way. If my wheeling progresses to the point of needing the benefits an Atlas offers, I'll build a dedicated toy with a frame and trailer it to the playgrounds. I'm more the expeditionary style wheeler with a destination in mind that offers camping or a great view for lunch as opposed to wheeling for the sake of the challenge. But that's just me and my situation at this point in time.