PDA

View Full Version : Brake issues

mckeonm
01-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Hello,

I just got done with my axle swaps. I upgraded to a 8.8 w/disk brakes in rear, replacing my 35c w/disk brakes and a HP44 up front.

When working on the rear I ran all new brake lines from the hard line mounted to the undercarriage to each of the calipers. After getting the job done I bled the brakes got all of the air out and the petal was still soft. If I pumped the petal several times in a row I would get a firm petal. Waiting just 5 seconds the soft petal would return.

I replaced the MC and bench bled it before installation. I Rebled entire system and the issue remains. Any ideas?

JohnBoulderCO
01-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Check to make sure the bleed fittings on the 8.8 brakes are on the top, above the banjo brake line fittings. The brakes sometimes get swapped and if the bleed fitting is below the brake line fitting, the air won't come out. If this is your case, swap the brakes, left to right and bleed again.

LouisianaZJ
01-09-2006, 01:42 AM
ditto above

also, did you have drum brakes before? switching to discs you should change the proportiong valve. the rear calipers need more fluid than with the old drums. might be part of the problem

mckeonm
01-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys,

I finally got my ZJ on the road...... Now for the trail...