PDA

View Full Version : Diff breather leaks???

97trxuszj
01-08-2006, 04:31 AM
I drilled and tapped my diff cover with a 1/4" NPT pipe tap and threaded in a 1/4" fitting with 1/4" push to connect air line and ran the air line up to the floor of the jeep and tied it off my problem is thats its leaking out of the hose what can I do? will legthening this help? also I drilled the fitting on the opposite side of the ring gear so whats the deal?

CurtP
01-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Sounds like it's getting slung off the ring gear and forced up the breather line. Most of the ones I've seen have the breather located on the axle tube.

nate
01-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Yeah sounds like that's what's happening. My brother machined a nice vent for me that fit where the 8.8s ABS sensor goes. Put 2 small vent holes on the side so they were in line with the axle tube when installed. I thought it would be ok, but it just pumped gear oil out of the vent, which is all the way up by my gas filler.

I ended up having to drill the tube and put the vent there. Has been fine since that.

97trxuszj
01-08-2006, 11:25 PM
hmm so you guys would recomend drilling and tapping my diff housing? if so I guess I should drain all my diff fluid out, I also over filled my diff, so that might be part of my problem

CurtP
01-09-2006, 01:00 AM
No, I'd recommend drilling and tapping your axle tube.

97trxuszj
01-09-2006, 01:14 AM
thast what I meant sorry, easiest way is to pull out the shaft and stuff a towel in there drill it and pull the shavings out? are a few shavings bad in the diff will they fuck anything up?

CurtP
01-09-2006, 01:47 AM
I'd drain the diff and pull the axle on the side you're going to drill and tap. Put grease on the flutes of your drill and tap to keep fallen shavings to a minimum. Drill slowly to prevent slinging metal shavings down the inside of the tube. Stick a magnet down the hole and probe around when your done to get any stray pieces of metal (a flexible magnetic tool retrival tool would be good for this). Reassemble, refill. Drink a beer, call it a day. Reflect why you didn't post in Newbie Tech :flipoff2:

97trxuszj
01-09-2006, 05:24 AM
thats very true I should have posted in newb tech oh well