PDA

View Full Version : NC trails...Uwharrie is closed, Tellico is too far...

zj-monster
01-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Uwharrie is closed for winter 2006 & April is a LONG time to wait...
http://p205.ezboard.com/fuwharriefrm74.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

Tellico is going thru a bunch of changes that shot my motivation all to hell. Tellico would be about a 4 to 5 hour trip for me to make anyway.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6739 (http://<a href=)

I've heard of the Brown Mountain OHV Trail. I haven't been there, dunno if it's open or closed for the season.
So, are there any other trails that I might be missing? Anyone else in the Carolinas feeling the same way I do? My area where I live is nothing but mud and beach sand, it gets very old...:(
:axe:
Seems that the majority of trials in NC aren't OHV friendly...I seriously doubt this website has been updated though it was revised on Dec 2005.
http://www.mountaintravelguide.com/North%20Carolina/North%20Carolina.htm

I just wanna go wheeling in the Carolinas on a weekend, someone please get me out of this foul mood.

JeepinHank
01-07-2006, 03:32 PM
The selection of legal wheeling areas in NC are sort of limited.

One private area that I know of is Devils Play Ground, which is up towards Uwharrie. It's an area for members of the muddevils or something like that, but they have occasional open rides. I've never been up there, but I know Stinkoman has checked it out before.

Other than that, you're pretty much relagated to mud & sand until April.

I use the downtime to make changes / repairs on my rig, and, with work and the Jeep this year, I've got plenty to keep me occupied until April rolls around.

We'll have to get up for a Uwharrie run when they open back up.

ATL ZJ
01-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Tellico is going thru a bunch of changes that shot my motivation all to hell. Tellico would be about a 4 to 5 hour trip for me to make anyway.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6739

Tellico is 3.5 hours from atlanta and over 4 hours for me when I'm at school... It's always worth the trip. And I drive my Jeep to the trail as well. The proposed closings at tellico aren't in effect yet. If anything, the proposal should make you want to wheel now more while the trails are still open. Also, the closings wouldn't affect anything you'd be running anyways, unless you're crazy enough to try lower 2 or slickrock on 31s.

I do want to hit up DPG sometime though.

zj-monster
01-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I use the downtime to make changes / repairs on my rig, and, with work and the Jeep this year, I've got plenty to keep me occupied until April rolls around.
We'll have to get up for a Uwharrie run when they open back up.
I agree about using the downtime to make changes & repairs. I definetly look forward to hooking up.

the closings wouldn't affect anything you'd be running anyways, unless you're crazy enough to try lower 2 or slickrock on 31s.
Hopefully I'll have a better set up by then. Since the closings aren't in effect yet then I'll make a trip out there during the middle of the month.

rob92xj
01-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Have you been to the "Dumps" in Hope Mills? I don't know where the place is but we have a few customers who keep talking about it.

zj-monster
01-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Oh yea, I have a few friends that talk about that place also. Thanks for the reminder...I'll ask around then check out the place, then post directions & pics.

I almost forgot about that place...I hope it really isn't a dump though.

:smt116

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-11-2006, 02:15 AM
devils playground is pretty badass and only 20 mins from where i live but is invite only.

uwharrie will be open in a couple months, and tellico is definatley worth a 4 hour drive. Brown mountain is lame, nothing but a couple dirt roads in the woods, same with Beech mountain. So suck it up and make a road trip or wait til March.

zj-monster
01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
So suck it up and make a road trip
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/z-monster/Unsorted%20Shit/Cry.jpg

Oh, all right...:smt033

Trancezj
01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
RIP Globe
RIP Crackers Neck

Trancezj
01-12-2006, 11:42 AM
both brown mtn and beech mtn are for atv's and dirtbikes.
there are only 2or3 trails that you are able to take an vechile.

PS. Puma what is the Devils playground? who invite the people?
Beech is closed now. Trust me there is more than 2-3 trails. lol. It's no tellico but it was a great place. I broke plenty of shit there.

StinkoMan20X6_
01-12-2006, 03:34 PM
You can always try your luck around texas lake area too. There are some challenging area for my nissan, but nothing that can really test my ZJ. I'll show you around when I get my jeep rolling again. Most of my trips around town are spontaneious and involve NO planning and also don't last very long.

The Dumps aren't that great unless you LOVE mud. But there are some fire trails to test flex or what ever. It was cool when I first discovered it, but now it's barely worth the 30 minute drive across town.

If you want to go to devils playground you'll need to go to the carolina mud devils' web site and possibly join OR you can wait for an open day. I don't feel like finding the web site for you right now. They usually spam fliers everywhere but the farthest they ever get in Fayetteville is over at Performance Offroad on Reilly. I know one dude who knows most of the Mud Devils' on a personal level but I haven't talked to him in months. I guess I should give him a call.

Let me know when you want to make a run. I get off of work at 5pm normally sometimes earlier. I think we're on the same side of town too so pm me and I'll give you my number.

Talk to you later

StinkoMan20X6_
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Beech is closed now. Trust me there is more than 2-3 trails. lol. It's no tellico but it was a great place. I broke plenty of shit there.

Trance it's good to see you on the forums still. I got that bumper on finally. I'm gonna wait a while for the cage though, heh. So are there NO trail systems near you anymore or just none that are worth a crap? Did you lift that Nissan?

JeepinHank
01-13-2006, 11:20 AM
You got your tranny issues figured out yet?

StinkoMan20X6_
01-13-2006, 11:34 PM
The Hughes kit came in today FRIDAY THE 13th SPOOOKY!!! Which is about a week earlier than they said it would be here since it was on back order. So I'm gonna bring it over to Rob in the morning so he can play with it all week. Can't wait to get it back again, heh. I think I read something about a sensor connector comming loose in the transmission that can cause similar issues though which makes me wonder if that's all it is. Guess we'll have to wait and see. This will be a great chance to change that rear main seal on the motor though.
How are the taxes going?

rob92xj
01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I down for the count over the next couple of days... Dr's orders nothing but bed rest for me. I was feeling like crap on Saturday and really bad on Sunday, went to work today took me all day to fix a V-8 lower plenum gasket on a truck, went to Dr's this evening and ordered to bed. Now I'm really mad I hate staying home with nothing to do and unable to do anything.

2KFLEXJ
01-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Theres always Callalantee in Mountain City, TN from Winston Salem, NC its only about 2 hours 15 mins and there's 5,000 acres to ride. Thats something for ya to consider. -steve

zj-monster
01-17-2006, 01:56 PM
I down for the count over the next couple of day.

Get better dude. :mrgreen:

BTW...I found out that the "Dumps" is next to Waldo's Beach in Hope Mills. I've been around that area before, if I remember it's all sand & mud. I'll go take my POS wheeling there & snap some photos. Maybe I'll find an old washing machine I can crawl over. :D

Out of curiosity, do you work at Hendrick on Raeford Rd?

rob92xj
01-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Get better dude. :mrgreen:

BTW...I found out that the "Dumps" is next to Waldo's Beach in Hope Mills. I've been around that area before, if I remember it's all sand & mud. I'll go take my POS wheeling there & snap some photos. Maybe I'll find an old washing machine I can crawl over. :D

Out of curiosity, do you work at Hendrick on Raeford Rd?
Thanks for the get well.
Yes I do work for Hendrick on Raeford Rd.

Trancezj
01-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Trance it's good to see you on the forums still. I got that bumper on finally. I'm gonna wait a while for the cage though, heh. So are there NO trail systems near you anymore or just none that are worth a crap? Did you lift that Nissan?
cool cool. No, I won't touch the nissan. Maybe once it's paid for and just for looks.

Trancezj
01-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Theres always Callalantee in Mountain City, TN from Winston Salem, NC its only about 2 hours 15 mins and there's 5,000 acres to ride. Thats something for ya to consider. -steve
there's like 2 good things to do there. Might be fun on 31's.

StinkoMan20X6_
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Sorry to hear about the illness Rob. I'm sure you'll be ok soon. Hope you get that guy's lift on there by the deadline!! Let me know if you want any help with that. I'm sure you won't need it but I can at least hand you tools or something.

Guess I should have mentioned that the dumps were next to waldo's beach...There is a place closer to Spring lake that's a little better if you've never been there. There's some mud but also some really slick hill climbs after it rains. That's where I was right before my transmission finally decided to die.

I've never been to Callalantee before. It's always fun going on new trails. But I think Winston Salem is at least 2 hrs from Fayetteville which makes the overall trip well over 4 hrs. It'd definitely have to be an overnight trip. I'd make the run if some others wanted to go along.

rob92xj
01-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I'd be down for a trip but I need to get over this damn virus, so I can get your trans built and gotta fix my floor in my XJ still.

StinkoMan20X6_
01-20-2006, 10:37 AM
What the heck is wrong with the floor?

rob92xj
01-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Northern rot is what wrong with my floor, typical northern XJ

zj-monster
01-21-2006, 10:26 AM
You definetly DO NOT want to go anywhere near the dumps in Hope Mills. That place totally sucks ballz.

1st: Some jack-ass calling himself the owner wants to charge $10 annually & he wants your name & address.
2nd: The place is mostly for ATV's & bikes. The ass-hat owner has been trying build a so called race track for them to use. $10 bucks annually doesn't seem to be doing much.
3rd: It's called the dumps for a reason. The place is a trash heap. Seriously, I ran over a futon frame & what was left of a busted-out front-end of a car just cuz I was bored.
4th: It's nothing but sand, mud, & tree stumps. A pimped-out S-10 can run it & they DO!

Don't even waste your time there. It's nothing exciting.

rob92xj
01-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the update man. I need to get Stinkoman's Jeep up and running again so he can show us a few other places he knows of.

StinkoMan20X6_
01-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Sounds like that place took a turn for the worse. The dumps never were that great anyway. If you look really hard there are some decent flexing spots. I've never heard of the owner being out there. That must be new or something..or some jack ass trying to rip people off. You're right though, some people do dump trash there and it is mostly sand and mud but that's how I describe southeastern NC generally.

rob92xj
01-26-2006, 08:09 AM
There have got to be more places open to the public to go wheeling.

StinkoMan20X6_
01-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I went out to the dumps last night with a pretty large group. There was a huge bonfire and there's gonna be another one tonight. There was nobody charging admission. I talked to some friends of mine who frequent there and they've never seen the admission guy??? There is A LOT more mud than there used to be and some of the holes are impassible by anything on lower than 36's. Just ask my completely stock nissan hard body. There was some dude with an XJ on 33's w/6" lift or so and he got stuck several times. Afterwards the jeep wouldn't start and his drunk ass went crazy and beat in the fenders with a hammer so badly that the hood wouldn't shut. I'm pretty sure he's retarded. Then he go towed home. I must say I was feeling very very sorry for the jeep. Not sure how often you guys check this but we'll be arriving around 10pm if you all wanna join us.

I almost forgot, there IS a really cool creek crossing area but it's extremely difficult to get to now that they blocked off the neighborhood entrance. I've been there once and it was really, really cool, but I haven't been in over a year. And it's the only real obstacle there.

StinkoMan20X6_
01-28-2006, 04:01 PM
There have got to be more places open to the public to go wheeling.

I've heard that a long time ago all the army dudes were pissed off that there were no legal places to wheel so they some how petitioned and got several areas on bragg opened up. These areas have since been closed for BS excuses like erosion control and also because of the Bragg lock down procedures after 9/11. I called the MP station just to make sure and they verified that there are NO legal areas to go wheeling on Bragg. I believe that Rob with the LJ said he knows somebody with some private land who may let us ride around but it's probably mostly mud.

zj-monster
01-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Bonfire at 10? I'll try to be there for that. Depends on if my wife will let me out that late. :smt079

When I was there a week or so ago there was a dude claiming to be the owner. He was there duing the day when al the bike & atv riders were out.Now I wonder if he really was? I had my doubts then and still do...

There is A LOT more mud than there used to be and some of the holes are impassible by anything on lower than 36's.
Call me an ass for not being too accurate but what I saw didn't impress me enough to go deeper in the woods.:rolleyes:

Here what the place looked a week ago while it was raining. What you see here is typical in North Carolina
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/z-monster/OHV%20Trials/DSC00463.jpg

rob92xj
01-29-2006, 04:07 AM
Damn man I just finished cleaning the damn turtle tank and it's 3 am. Oh well next time. I'm going to bed, gotta meet Rob with the Unlimited at work at 9 am to change his diff covers.

StinkoMan20X6_
01-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Weirdest thing happened on Saturday night out there. As soon as we arrived some drunk assed 4 wheeler dudes told us that some cops on ATV's and white unmarked cherokee's with blue lights on the roof rushed them from the woods. They did drug searches and then they all left. Their excuse for the search was that there's not supposed to be any fires after 7:00pm???

We just ingnored the drunken banter for a while and continued to build up the fire that had been going since the night before...probly longer. One of us decided to go tooling around for a while and saw some lights down towards the lakes so he rode on down there and sure enough it was some white cherokee with a blue light bar on the roof. The dudes had badges and everything. They talked for a while and after some questioning said that as long as nobody shoots any guns or anything (which isn't that out of the ordinary for those folks) then they wouldn't interrupt .

And they didn't. I'm not sure how long they stayed there, but I'm sure they enjoyed the show because that night since most everybody was too drunk to drive (even offroad) the girls ran through the super cold mud and it was a completely rediculous time. I left at 4am and the last of them left at 8am.

Can't wait to get the jeep back!!!

zj-monster
01-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Some odd things do happen at that place.

:smt032

2KFLEXJ
02-01-2006, 08:42 AM
there's like 2 good things to do there. Might be fun on 31's.
You haven't been there before have you, there are severl rock garden area's including the waterfall climb on welder's loop and a garden up and the cell tower new trails opening all the time there due to logging parts of the property out. -steve

rob92xj
02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Stinkoman I'm making progrees on your Jeep, got the other part in for the OD unit and the shift kit is installed in the valve body clutchs and drums are assembled, going back together, DC backordered another part on me.

benzj
02-06-2006, 12:22 PM
There are plenty of trails in SC........................

Trancezj
02-06-2006, 09:34 PM
You haven't been there before have you, there are severl rock garden area's including the waterfall climb on welder's loop and a garden up and the cell tower new trails opening all the time there due to logging parts of the property out. -steve
lol na never. :smt120 I said there was a few things.

StinkoMan20X6_
02-09-2006, 11:57 PM
There are plenty of trails in SC........................

Sounds like we need to take a trip then. How close to Conway are the trails? Could we ride all day and cruize the strip at night? Sounds like at least a weekend of fun right there.

rob92xj
02-10-2006, 06:34 AM
I hear a road trip coming to SC.

ATL ZJ
02-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Sounds like we need to take a trip then. How close to Conway are the trails? Could we ride all day and cruize the strip at night? Sounds like at least a weekend of fun right there.

Haha, you've got to be kidding me.. I go to school here in SC and this state has no trails to be found at all. Not even redneck powerline trails until you get up towards Clemson and Seneca... Conway's at the beach, you must be talking about sand and mud pits.

zjeepin
02-16-2006, 02:01 PM
callalante is pretty fun, there isn't all that much thats great but there is new stuff opening pretty regularly. if any of you guys decide to run there let me know, i'll make trance ride shotgun

Deltron
02-16-2006, 02:24 PM
im pretty sure the muddevils are having an open ride at devils playground at the beginning of march. I saw it on nc4x4.com I think. my rig isn't going to be able to go but someone should go and take some pics, I haven't had a chance to get out there yet. peace
-Dave

StinkoMan20X6_
02-19-2006, 10:36 PM
If my shit rolls by then I may go up there. It all depends though. I snapped a few pics from last time I went up there. http://photobucket.com/albums/y266/buttface20x6/Devils%20Playground/

rob92xj
02-21-2006, 01:00 AM
The Mud Devils are having a charity ride on March 11th got an email from the Jeepsters about it. Is anyone planning on going? My 4.slo is knocking really bad but I have the parts for a stroker waiting to be picked up.