PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Tellico Rule Changes

JeepinHank
01-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Guys in the Southeast:

The USFS is seeking to make some changes to the current rules and restrictions at the Tellico OHV Area.

Read about it here:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4943192#post4943192

Lets make our voices heard!

OverkillZJ
01-06-2006, 08:45 PM
I'll be writing my letter tonight and mailing it in.

PLEASE take the time to fight trail changes like this, we're losing this battle do to the "other side" being much more vocal and organized than ourselves. Write your letter. Prove you're a responsible wheeler so we can continue to enjoy this sport.

ATL ZJ
01-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for posting that up Hank.... I just wrote my letter. Please do the same, even if you aren't local to tellico. It's where I wheel 95% of the time and I'd really like to see it stay open.

Cam

Troy
01-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I'll draft something up and mail it in. Tellico kicks ass.

Pearce
01-11-2006, 02:41 PM
seems like this comes up once a year. I'll get a letter out this week.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-17-2006, 08:41 PM
wish i would have run across this sooner. what justification would they have for closing some trails down during the winter when they just jacked prices up another $5?

ATL ZJ
01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
wish i would have run across this sooner. what justification would they have for closing some trails down during the winter when they just jacked prices up another $5?
The trails continually become more and more eroded. You can see evidence of this on most trails, but might be most obvious at the tops of slickrock and schoolbus. I think the idea is that when it rains in the winter, there's less foliage and plant life to deflect water off the trail. This speeds erosion up in the winter months when the trail becomes a river and repeatedly washes away the top layer of soil that's been loosened up by tires. The forest service doesn't really maintain the harder trails at tellico that much, and the increased user fee isn't really deterring anybody from wheeling during the winter. Most people who can afford gas to go wheeling can afford the extra $5/day.. This is forcing the USFS to seek other means of controlling erosion.

People have create new bypasses all the time. Possibly the newest is the one at the ledge on lower 2. There are many others that aren't that old either. There was a good thread on pirate about a month ago about the issue.

I've found most of the jeep/toyota/buggy crowd is responsible, but the ATV crowd to have a lot more dumbasses. Tearing through the woods off the trail and pulling dumbass moves like we saw last time we were up there won't help keep trails open.

rob92xj
01-18-2006, 03:13 PM
I wrote my letter after getting an email from the carolina jeepsters about it.