PDA

View Full Version : Need Me A Welder

ILikeMud
01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Well I think it's time I get my own welder since I'm gonna need it for doing the build on my ZJ.
I'm just unsure what to get, looking at a Miller 175 or a Hobart Handler 180. Both are similar in price. I just want something that will handle everything I'll need to weld to put my long arm and swap my axles out. Plus build bumpers.

Which is a better welder for my cash?

ATL ZJ
01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
I own a Hobart 180 and love it. My wheeling buddy had started to use it some and ended up getting a Miller 175 very recently. Both are great machines. Many of the parts are identical. The gun on my hobart even says miller, and is identical to the one on the Miller 175.

A couple of things distance the Miller 175 from the Hobart, though. I've been told it uses higher quality parts, so if you're looking to get lots of years out of it, that would be a plus. Also, the miller offers infinite voltage control, which is a very nice thing to have. On my Hobart, sometimes I want something in between and just don't have that option.

The Hobart wins in the area of cost.. I found mine on Ebay brand new for an absolute steal.

Hope that helps some. You can't go wrong with either. They're leaps and bounds better than the Lincoln machine of the same caliber I've used.

OverkillZJ
01-05-2006, 02:34 AM
I also have a Hobart 180 and have been extremely pleased with it. The miller has a better transformer, and metal instead of plastic rollers. If they ever failed on your Hobart though, you can replace them with the Miller parts!

I do wish I had the variable voltage control, but I guess I've never "really" needed it.

Hell even the Hobart gun has Miller stamped on it.

ATL ZJ
01-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Just a quick addition-- my buddy wheels an FJ40 and is a sucker for the top of the line sort of thing. Even though he's a broke college student like me, he can't keep himself from springing for the best parts for his rigs regardless of cost (ARB, OME, etc.)

Is the Miller a better machine? Yes, it probably is.
Will the Hobart do everything you need it to do. Certainly.

it's a tough call though.

Tommy
01-05-2006, 02:51 AM
I am also looking into getting a welder. I sold the old CJ in my garage and got some more money for tools so I can start not to depend on other people. Do you think a Miller 250 or 251 is overkill? I have some gusseting to finish up, a roll cage, hydro-steer, and some work on my trailer I want to do. Will the 175 or 180 be plenty a welder for me to get projects like this complete. You will have to excuse my lack of knowldege on welders etc. I am a big time newbie when it comes to these things.

norton
01-05-2006, 05:19 AM
i have a lincoln crap welder and dont use it, but ive been using a Miller 225 TIG and have only needed 80(goes to like 300?) amps to weld anything up to .095 (i can stomp the pedal and not burn a hole if im not moving too slow). im sure anything that goes to 175/180 will handle up to .120 which is prolly the standard for any sliders and bumpers your gonna make.

o ya, people say TIG is hard, but they lie because they never tried it or they suck at life. :booya: get a TIG welder, i know i am once i have my own garage and have the capacity for it i am gorna.

JeepinHank
01-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Tommy - 175 or 180 would be plenty for what you're planning. A good rule of thumb is 180 can weld 1/4" or 3/8" and a 251 can weld 1/2".

Duty cycle can become an issue if you use the welder maxed out for long periods of time, but for the work you're describing, that won't come into play.

ILikeMud
01-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I don't really see myself need a TIG right now. A MIG will be fine for what I'm doing.

So because of the varible voltage control the Miller would be nicer to have eh? Though I'm sure the Hobart is just as nice.

ANLPROBE
01-05-2006, 03:07 PM
o ya, people say TIG is hard, but they lie because they never tried it or they suck at life.:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :smt038

Its not a matter of whether TIG is hard... its a matter of whether the operator has patience for it and doing it properly. It is a lot slower going than a MIG. TIG is more expensive no matter what way you look at it. First off a TIG machine is double the price of a MIG of equal amperage. Argon is a little under double the price of CO2, tri-mix gas is 2/3 the price of Argon. Tungsten is pricy. Now, you have not even started welding yet, at 2.5 times longer time spent on welding your project with TIG. What is your time worth?:smt002

I do have TIG250/stick and MIG 175 at home. I am not going to cram myself into a position where my TIG torch and my hand barely fit and the other hand is holding the part. Now try to get filler rod in there.
TIG is nice for welding threaded inserts into arms, is necessary for welding a "NHRA/IHRA certified and approved roll cage". MIGing a cage is fine for non-certified stuff. The only reasons that I would TIG is if it was asked for, it is necessary, or you are a good buddy of mine like the last one that I did was XTREMEXJ94's exo cage. Check out Pirate at: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415385&page=3

For the home once in a while fabricator... yah buy a MIG. :)

Unless you feel the yearning to blow $1700.00 on a base package Lincoln Precision TIG 185. Then buy Tungsten, a $200.00 cart, TIG gloves, Argon... and a nice little garage stool to work at your bench all comfy with an exhaust hood to draw the excess gas away from your lungs so that your not coughing up globs of goo while you are tipped upside down to get the heavy argon out of your lungs.:smt118

Anyways, thats my bla bla... take it what ever way you want. :smt052 :smt102

ILikeMud
03-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Bringing this back.

Called a place that sells Hobart and Miller today, prices are in Canadian btw.
Hobart Handler 180 - $829
Miller 175 - $925

Not too much of a difference between the two. Should I drop the extra ~100 on the Miller?

Deltron
03-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Bringing this back.

Called a place that sells Hobart and Miller today, prices are in Canadian btw.
Hobart Handler 180 - $829
Miller 175 - $925

Not too much of a difference between the two. Should I drop the extra ~100 on the Miller?

I would go ahead and spend the extra bucks, I used to use a hobart and it was a fine machine but when it comes down to it the miller is just better. I actually use a lincoln and like it just fine but comparing miller and lincoln is like comparing ford and chevy

OverkillZJ
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
o ya, people say TIG is hard, but they lie because they never tried it or they suck at life. :booya: get a TIG welder, i know i am once i have my own garage and have the capacity for it i am gorna.

You've laid like two beads with tig. To my knowledge you didn't even cut them open.

You've never actualy built anything with Tig, and probably not even Mig either.

Yes Tig takes more patience, but I'd hardly consider you a source of advice on purchasing a welder. :cool: