PDA

View Full Version : Moab Feb 23-26

XLSLC
01-03-2006, 02:34 PM
EDIT::

A group of us are planning to head out to Moab from front range CO on Thursday, Feb 23rd and return the 26th. We're running Golden Spike on Saturday, TBD for the other days.

Confirmed:
XLSLC
JohnBoulderCO
Z
Keith
Mike

JohnBoulderCO
01-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes!

zjmike4
01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah I def. want to get out there before GSW, maybe like a week before EJS. I went out for that last year, a little too crowded for me. I don't like Cops blocking every major trail entrance.

XLSLC
01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Awesome! Want to wait a while, or set a date now?

zjmike4
01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I'll have to wait at least a few weeks before I can set a date...

Z
01-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm needing to get to Moab, too. Still not sure what my work schedule will permit, probably late in February is better. Will know more in a couple days (hopefully!)

JohnBoulderCO
01-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Feb time frame would work for me. The Jeep has no rear axle at the moment, well it's under there, but not finalized yet. I also have a biz trip late January.

SuicideTireZJ
01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Count me in too fellas!

Michael
01-05-2006, 07:55 PM
i'm down if i get a rear axle first.

PassRunnerZJ
01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I'd be up for another trip to Moab towards the end of Febuary depending on work, if I get the taller springs in the ZJ, if I don't have to repair anything major after the 15-16 of January, and extra $$$. I'll keep an eye on the thread if that is OK. I'd just hook up with you as you go through GJ. Of course the house question come up and getting reservations, or is it still off season around $30?

Z
01-07-2006, 12:17 AM
How about Feb 17-19?

Super8's rates are $46 per night, so prices are on the low side of moderate this time of year.

Cody
01-07-2006, 12:30 AM
lol, 5 bucks says you can walk into super 8 and walk out with a room and 25 dollars poorer. You could get a suite this time of year for 48 bucks ;)

OverkillZJ
01-07-2006, 12:44 AM
For the record: I HATE YOU BASTARDS THAT CAN MAKE IT TO MOAB MORE THAN ONCE A YEAR.

That is all. Thank you.

JohnBoulderCO
01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Tom, my son has Feb 17th and 20th off school, I was planning on taking him skiing.

How about any of the other 3 weekends.
Feb 3-5 or Feb 10-12 or Feb 24-26

John

XLSLC
01-07-2006, 02:18 PM
I'd prefer the last week in Feb. but really any will work.

Z
01-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I'll have to re-arrange my whole life to accomodate you John, but okay, I can handle the last weekend in Feb.

:)

zjmike4
01-07-2006, 07:24 PM
I'll know by Tuesday if I can do that... I also need to get some things done on the ZJ before I could go, but shouldn't be a problem. I think if I go I'll probably camp. I don't think the cold will be a problem for me and I know a really nice free spot off the main end of Kane Creek trail.

JohnBoulderCO
01-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm cool with the last weekend in Feb. So that makes three of us!!!

Mtn WJ
01-08-2006, 12:59 PM
The last week of Feb may work for me as well. I need check my schedule but it should work.

SCAMPER ZJ
01-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Man, the 17th-19th would have worked perfect for me!!! However, I do have the 24th-25th off, and don't work until the evening the 26th, so I could drive back Sunday.

If we're doing the last week in Feb, any way you guys could drive out Thursday evening and wheel Fri/Sat? You mountain bikers could do your thing on Sunday!:)

What trails are we thinking of doing? I like the whole Gold Bar Rim/Golden Spike/Poison spider route. . .

Z
01-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Scamper - I WAS planning on arriving Thursday evening and wheeling on Friday.

I'd love to do Golden Spike, but its a long trail to do in the winter time when daylight hours are short.

jsteves
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
as long as i can get the long arms done by then i would be down to go last week of feb...oh and if i make it, i would wheel on fri.

JohnBoulderCO
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm up for driving over Thursday afternoon/evening and wheeling Friday.

If you don't mind the chance of some night wheeling, we could try to squeeze Golden Spike in on Friday or Saturday. With a small group, it will go faster. I still have the GPS co-ordinates loaded and I led the group in the dark for GSW. If Keith makes it, he has tons of lights on his rig, so he can play Rudolf and take the point.

jsteves
01-09-2006, 02:20 PM
i'm up for another night on the spike

SCAMPER ZJ
01-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Yup, Golden Spike's a long trail for sure - it'll be a good excuse to finally get those rock lights installed!!!:D

Say, got a friend with an FJ who is interested - mind if he comes along? Very experienced driver, and well-built rig:

http://www.calvaryefree.org/4wheel/Moab251.jpg

Z
01-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Yup, Golden Spike's a long trail for sure - it'll be a good excuse to finally get those rock lights installed!!!:D

Say, got a friend with an FJ who is interested - mind if he comes along? Very experienced driver, and well-built rig:

As far as I'm concerned, this is NOT a Grand only trip, so your friend is welcome. My only caveat (which does NOT apply to your friend) - if we're doing Golden Spike, we need to keep the group relatively small AND all rigs must be well built and debugged! (Of course, now that I've said that, my rig will be the one that breaks!)

We'll also need to get an early start I'd also suggest everyone come ready to camp if we don't make it off on time. (The last time I did the Spike we didn't get to GBR until after dark and even with 2 GPSs we couldn't find the damned trail, so I'll come prepared).

nate
01-14-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm probably going to go in April right after EJS if anyone is interested in going. We have about 5-6 guys going right now, mainly people that were stationed in AK and are now down in the states.

SCAMPER ZJ
01-15-2006, 06:03 PM
. . .if we're doing Golden Spike, we need to keep the group relatively small AND all rigs must be well built and debugged! (Of course, now that I've said that, my rig will be the one that breaks!))

Yeah, that's what Dave said last year, and then HE broke down!:D Actually, I'm surprised I didn't break my grand in half on the Golden Crack:

http://www.jeepsite.net/MOAB32.jpg

Anyway, it's all moot for me now, I just heard that my work needs me to cover that weekend, so I'm OUT, dang it - now I'm majorly bummed. Oh well, maybe someone will organize one for March, or I'll tag along with Nate's group in April!

zjmike4
01-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Doesn't bother me... I think my dad will probably tag along too, running a Rubicon w/ 35s.

If we are doing Spike, as long as we keep it under about 10 I can't see it taking too long. At EJS we were in a group from JP that had about 11 in it and we got through in around 9 hours. I've actually ran all three in 8 hours, last october. But it all depends on what happens and who breaks!

jsteves
01-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Anyway, it's all moot for me now, I just heard that my work needs me to cover that weekend, so I'm OUT, dang it - now I'm majorly bummed. Oh well, maybe someone will organize one for March, or I'll tag along with Nate's group in April!

earlier you mentioned the weekend before was open for you. that weekend would actually work better for me, so if you are still interested in that we may be able to head out that weekend. we would have a couple of zj's.

XLSLC
01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Im in for the last weekend in Feb. Driving out thursday the 23rd in the afternoon/evening and coming back sunday. I'm down for whatever trails you guys want to run. I'd prefer not Hells Revenge since I've done that before.

JohnBoulderCO
01-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Im in for the last weekend in Feb. Driving out thursday the 23rd in the afternoon/evening and coming back sunday.

I'm all set for the same weekend and driving times.

SCAMPER ZJ
01-27-2006, 12:50 AM
earlier you mentioned the weekend before was open for you. that weekend would actually work better for me, so if you are still interested in that we may be able to head out that weekend. we would have a couple of zj's.

Thanks for the invite jsteves, sorry I'm just now getting back to the post - things have been BUSY!! Actually, the rest of my Feb schedule filled up, but I will be going out with a group the last week of March.

John, make sure you have someone taking some pics when you go through Body Snatcher! :D

zjmike4
01-27-2006, 04:53 PM
It's official: I'm in. Probably won't be able to leave until around 11am Friday though.

skrracing
01-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I plan on being there for sure from Apr 21 -30 2006 with another group but it would to hook up with some of the other ZJ guys ...I am staying in the OK RV Park at the far end of town behind the Arena. Looking forward to meet some of you. later...Clint
http://lostkjwest.com/photos/skrracing/lostzjhill.jpg

XLSLC
01-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Mike: Sweet. Let's talk specifics (caravan, etc) the week before. I'm going to get a room at the Red whatever Inn.

JohnBoulderCO
02-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Almost time! So let's start firming things up.

Who is heading out Thursday? I am.:D

Some of you are heading out Friday, so I suggest doing Golden Spike on Saturday.

For those that are there on Friday, mabe two runs, one morning one afternoon, just in case some show up around lunch time and want to get an afternoon run in.

Thoughts/comments?

XLSLC
02-07-2006, 01:42 PM
2 runs on Friday sounds good. I'm down for whatever you think I could handle on Saturday. I'll be heading out at around 5 on Thursday I think, maybe earlier if I can get work off, but probably not. I'll be staying in a motel that night, maybe camping the others.

What time were you thinking of leaving on thursday, John?

So far it's just us 4 (me, john, mike, Z), if you PM your cell #s to me I'll relay that to the others.

Mike, is your dad still coming along?

JohnBoulderCO
02-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Keith is coming too.
I was thinking about leaving Thursday sometime between noon and 1pm. Does that work for anyone?

zjmike4
02-07-2006, 05:30 PM
As of now, my dad will not be coming. I'm trying to change that but we'll see. I should be leaving here early afternoon Friday so I might be able to make a later run, maybe something simple like fins and things and i can show you my suggested way of running the trail for GSW. Also does anyone going have some spare 30 and 35 shafts they wouldn't mind bringing along??

JohnBoulderCO
02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I would be interested in testing the shorter Fins and Things run.
Maybe Sunday morning before heading home? It would be just like the real deal, run it Sunday morning, then head home.

Friday, for those that are there, maybe Cliff Hanger, see if it is getting harder, Hell's Revenge???

Any other suggestions?

FYI Red Stone Inn for $34.95/night

zjmike4
02-08-2006, 12:33 AM
If I get in early enough on Friday (it all depends on scheduling that I don't know yet) I would like to run Moab Rim Friday evening. ITs a really great run to do just before sunset, see the sunset and then ride back down.. just a thought

JohnBoulderCO
02-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Moab Rim in the dark? :eek: Not too much after sunset I hope.

Mtn WJ
02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Well I am in. I will likely leave very early Friday AM and should be in Moab well before noon. I will be able to wheel on Friday afternoon and Golden spike sounds good for Saturday. Hows about we run Cliffhanger on Friday afternoon or maybe metal masher.

Keith

zjmike4
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I've ran Moab rim in the dark... fun stuff! But it really doesn't matter to me, I can't say for sure what time I will be there, but hopefully I won't have to pull anytime slave time in the office friday and I can be out early.

JohnBoulderCO
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Well, at least we all agree on Golden Spike for Saturday.

XLSLC
02-09-2006, 07:47 PM
The only trails I've run in Moab are Hell's Revenge and Top of The World (not really in Moab). I'd rather not do them again this time around, but I'm down for whatever you guys want to do, I'm there for wheelin and I don't care where.

As for wheelin on the rim after dark, let's see how clear the skies are first :eek:

zjmike4
02-09-2006, 10:53 PM
As for wheelin on the rim after dark, let's see how clear the skies are first :eek:

Yeah I agree with that, there is a major roll over potential point thats fun in the dark, but rainy would be suicidal.........

JohnBoulderCO
02-09-2006, 11:07 PM
We ran Moab Rim 2 years ago at GSW.

Kevin Fell got up on two wheels near the rim. You could clearly see his roof, ALL 4 tires AND look under his rig at the same time! Kevin needed a little time to collect himself before continuing on.:eek:

Moab Rim would not be on my list of trails for a night run, in the rain.

SCAMPER ZJ
02-11-2006, 12:08 PM
We ran Moab Rim 2 years ago at GSW.

Kevin Fell got up on two wheels near the rim. You could clearly see his roof, ALL 4 tires AND look under his rig at the same time! Kevin needed a little time to collect himself before continuing on.:eek:

Moab Rim would not be on my list of trails for a night run, in the rain.

John, do you have a picture of that? I may have to think twice about doing the Rim this year, my rig is built very similar to his. Was it a tire placement issue?

JohnBoulderCO
02-11-2006, 12:55 PM
No, it happened to quick for a pic. I only caught a quick glimpse when Jane yelled, "He's going over!"
Kevin was, as he said, "fooling around."

We were on the return trip (back down) and he was trying to put his driver side slider on a big rock, maybe for a pic. He didn't notice the even bigger rock his driver side rear tire was crawling up. He said he could feel his rig wanting to go over, when he let off the brake, it rolled forward and came back down on all fours. He was tipping toward the Rim, but we figured the first ledge would have caught him, worse case the next one, down by the road.:eek:

So, as long as you aren't "testing" your sliders, you will be fine. It is certainly a trail to pay attention on when driving. The Well's book gives a good decription of it.

Z
02-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Moab Rim is also where Cristi put her ZJ on its side (in the daytime while Corey was spotting but took his eye off for a split second). I personally wouldn't be too keen to do it in the dark. Heck, I'm not too keen on doing it in the light, but them again, I'm a wimp. It would be nice to see if Cliffhanger has gotten any more interesting.

I HOPE to be able to leave for Moab mid-day on Thursday, but it's Saturday and I'm at work (so much for my 40 hr/week, M-F job). So I might be able to join you on the ride out, John. However, you might not want to wait for my 4.0L to climb the mountains at 45 mph.

JohnBoulderCO
02-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I forgot that's where Cristi took a tumble, not the best run in the dark.
I'll wait for you Tom. It's nice to travel with someone. Yeah, I would like to take a peak at Cliff Hanger also.

BigDaveZJ
02-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm curious to see what Cliffhanger looks like as well. I'm definitely looking forward to reports from you guys. Hopefully it's been unpaved at least a little bit.

JohnBoulderCO
02-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I think Pam's new locker needs a test on Cliff Hanger. Come on, you can make the trip.:D

zjmike4
02-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Looks like rain is forecasted for the beginning of the week, won't know what the rest of the week looks like for a few days. My cash is tight so I'll probably be camping for free down by behind the rocks (hopefully not in the snow). whats everyone elses plans? Anyone planning on/ or wants to camp?

BigDaveZJ
02-12-2006, 04:40 AM
I think Pam's new locker needs a test on Cliff Hanger. Come on, you can make the trip.:D

Pam's new locker won't be in until Matt gets around to pull the carrier from his 44A and sending it to me!

tzumalt
02-14-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm considering heading up Friday night and meet up with you guys Sat Morning. I'v done the spike a couple times but I don't want to cross the crack alone (Not fully locked). I have not needed a strap yet but I always had good spotters. I want to get one good ride in before JS or GSW.

zjmike4
02-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Let me know when you are heading out, I'll probably be out past your area around mid afternoon friday if I cant make it out thursday night.

Mtn WJ
02-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I am planning on leaving around 5 or 6 AM on Friday. I want to be able to do an afternoon run on Friday. If anyone else wants to leave early on Friday let me know.

Corey and I finished my Front ARB last night. No more leaks yea. I only have one minor thing to fix which is my exhaust bracket came loose yesterday.

Z
02-15-2006, 04:04 PM
John - looks like I won't be able to get out of Denver until 4 or so on Thursday, so it looks like we'll both be driving out solo.

XLSLC
02-16-2006, 06:55 PM
I won't be able to leave Boulder until around that time Z, maybe we could meet up somewhere along 70.

JohnBoulderCO
02-16-2006, 10:43 PM
OK, I will see you guys Friday morning.

What time should we meet at City Market each day? Friday we want to get two runs in. Some will show up at around lunch time for the afternoon run. Saturday is the Spike run, so we don't want to start too late.

Around 8ish? Suggestions?

zjmike4
02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
I think an 8am start is good for the spike run. I won't be able to leave Friday until at least 11am............... So i probably wont get anything in Friday.

Mtn WJ
02-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I would like to run Cliffhanger on Friday Afternoon to see its progress or lack of depending. I fly back in from Orange County Thursday evening and will be in Moab by noon with the boys.

As for Saturday 8 am sounds good to me.

What trail you guys gonna run on Friday AM?

JohnBoulderCO
02-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Keith, we hadn't picked one yet for Friday morning. If you want to do Cliff Hanger Friday afternoon, I'm sure we can run it then and run something else in the morning. The Friday morning crew can decide at City Market. Give me a call Friday with your ETA and we can meet you for the afternoon run. John

Bustin' Loose
02-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Okay, to all you guys that are heading out to Moab next week, I need your help. If possible, can you please scout out/narrow down some locations for the Banquet on Saturday. you don't need to talk to people, work menu's and stuff, just get me some names of some places that look like they could handle a crowd of 75+/- people in a decent location. I'm trying to narrow down the places I call to see who can/can't help us out. Also, if you guys can find out if someone took over the location of the Broken Oar that would be fantastic. Get me names and numbers if you can.

Anyone willing to help out??

JohnBoulderCO
02-19-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm sure we can peak around a bit. I can swing by the Oar, see if it's been replaced.

Z
02-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I won't be able to leave Boulder until around that time Z, maybe we could meet up somewhere along 70.

I'm not exactly sure when I'll be leaving, so we should probably sync up Thursday afternoon via phone.

Okay, to all you guys that are heading out to Moab next week, I need your help. If possible, can you please scout out/narrow down some locations for the Banquet on Saturday. you don't need to talk to people, work menu's and stuff, just get me some names of some places that look like they could handle a crowd of 75+/- people in a decent location. I'm trying to narrow down the places I call to see who can/can't help us out. Also, if you guys can find out if someone took over the location of the Broken Oar that would be fantastic. Get me names and numbers if you can.

Anyone willing to help out??
Pam - I have this on my list of things to do.

Tom Z.

zjmike4
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
I went out and ran 21 road yesterday... lots of ice in the shaded parts of the trail... I don't know how much this applies to Moab, but thought it could since Moab is only 1 1/2 hours away.

tzumalt
02-19-2006, 04:52 PM
The Saturday Spike trail will meet at 8am. Where, The trailhead ot the City Market?

I'll be heading up Friday Afternoon and get in that night. If there are some dinner plans, I'd like to meet up then.

Z
02-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Friday Dinner - the usual? 7:30 @ Moab Brewery?

Regarding trail conditions, weather.com says we're going to have beautiful weather and steadily increasing temps through the week, so most snow & ice should be gone.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/pets/tenday/USUT0165?from=36hr_topnav_pets

zjmike4
02-20-2006, 12:25 AM
tzumalt- when are you planning on heading out there? I should be out of Greeley by 11am and making a stop in Evergreen to pick up some tools and camping stuff. Should be out of Evergreen around 1pm so Moab by 6:30pm, so we could caravan out there. Let me know.

Also, is everyone planning on Redstone Inn or.... I haven't decided if I want to camp or not....

Saturday. meet at 8am at City Market and then depart for Golden Spike.

XLSLC
02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Tom, I'll give you a call thursday to see when we could meet up for the drive.

Mike-- You can split a room at the red stone with me if you want. I may have one other guy with me.

zjmike4
02-20-2006, 04:55 PM
This weeks schedule has gotten changed so much I'm not sure whether its going to be a Thursday or Friday departure. Now its looking like it could be a Thurday afternoon. PM me your numbers, Scott or Tom, and I should know for sure by Weds evening and I'll give you a call. I'll caravan with you guys If I can make it out Thursday.

JohnBoulderCO
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
The week is warming up and it's almost time to go! :D

Mtn WJ
02-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Did you get your Ebrake going?

Lets hope the weather holds out. Afterall we are talking about Colorado and Utah.

Anyone drive I70 between Denver and GJ lately?

zjmike4
02-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I drove out to Grand Junction last Friday to run 21 road and came back Saturday. It was clear friday and snowpack from vail to georgetown on the way back since it was snowing pretty hard.

Should be great weather out there, sunny in the 60s!

JohnBoulderCO
02-21-2006, 03:55 PM
I started on the e-brake cables last night, but didn't finish. It's on the to-do-list for tonight.

Yeah, looks like 60's!:D

jsteves
02-22-2006, 11:48 AM
you bastids suck! Maybe I can at least finish mine up this weekend...wait, snow again

XLSLC
02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
My desktop at work starting today....

http://www.s-bomb.com/wheelin/iminmoab.jpg

tzumalt
02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Change of plans, I'll be heading out Thursday afternoon around 5-6pm. Anyone heading out then, send me a PM with cell phone #s.

JohnBoulderCO
02-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I decided I need another vacation day :D ...leaving Boulder tomorrow, before lunch, to get in a few Dump Bump climbs before dinner.

So, for those of you coming in late tomorrow, we will gather at 8:00am Friday morning, in the City Market parking lot to decide what to run in the morning. I think we all agreed to run Cliff Hanger in the afternoon.

zjmike4
02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Sounds good, I'll give you a call when we get into town tomorrow night, John.

JohnBoulderCO
02-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Mike, I thought you couldn't make it until Friday night. Cool, the Friday group is getting a little bigger. Give me a jingle when you arrive, most likely I will be sitting in the Moab Brewery.:D