PDA

View Full Version : XJ d44 teraflex disc conversion???

97trxuszj
01-03-2006, 01:23 AM
I did this swap on a 89 xj rear d44 and I used stock everything there was no special spacer or anything with the kit I got longer studs and pressed them into the shafts kept the stocks shafts bearings and seals, well after its all together my axles on both ends are spraying and dripping 80-90wt out of the ends what could be the problem just seals? what should I do?

SLO MO
01-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Wasn't there an article just recently in one of the mags. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something about a spacer. Maybe your kit was missing some parts?

OverkillZJ
01-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Probably the wrong retainer plate. Look through my rear axle pics in the old phoenix threads, plenty of how ZJ or Rubi discs fit on an XJ or TJ 44.

You actually opaid for a kit by the way? You just need ZJ discs and different retaining plates for it to seal properly.... Save yourself like $400.

97trxuszj
01-03-2006, 04:46 AM
so a rubicon d44 retaining plate and new seals will mke it stop leaking? I got a better deal on the kit than I could find at the junkyards for zj discs I sold my old AL44 complete

OverkillZJ
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
It depends on the 44XJ pattern on the retaining plate. Sometimes they're different than TJ/Rubi. If it's the same, you can use rubi plates. If not, get a rubi plate, take it to a machine shop, and have them make you one with the correct bolt pattern.

Does the retaining plate you used have a lip on it?

97trxuszj
01-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't know if it has a lip I know that it is a diff pattern than a TJ 44 because teraflex sent me the wrong disc backing plates at first