PDA

View Full Version : RE Fronts in Rear???

Greg95zj
01-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Thinking about swappin my Front RE 4.5" spring to the rear and putting RE 7.5" XJ spring up front... any thoughts?? Also need some help with shocks for that set up (I'm runnin front JKS eye style conversions), I'm running 35 12.5 on my own long arm 4 link rear. Thanks

Cody
01-02-2006, 11:51 PM
sounds like an awesome idea to clear 44's. I ran 4.5" RE XJ coils in back at one point and had enough room to fit at the very least a 37--probably more with some trimming.

Fro 35's, I'd say 5-6" of lift is perfect. Those coils would get you probably 8-9" of lift which is counterproductive for achieve greater off road ability.

Cody

Tommy
01-03-2006, 12:45 AM
I think they would be rather stiff in the rear as well. I think you should run the XJ 4.5" front in the rear. They were soft and with my TR bumper and 35" spare seemed to be perfect.

Greg95zj
01-03-2006, 02:50 AM
guess I should add in this detail, my rear bumper is made of a 2x4x3/16 square tube, some channel, and the tire carrier is made of 2x2x3/16 with a GY MTR 35X12.5 and hi lif on it. Point being I'm not sure what that will net me out back since I know its saggin back there. I'm hopin to net about 7.5" total.

Krash80
01-03-2006, 02:58 AM
I've got the RE 4.5" ZJ fronts in the rear of my rig. In the front I've got RK 7" springs with a couple spacers to try to level it out, but the ass-end still sits way higher than the front.

From my experience, XJ and TJ springs will net you about 1.5-2" less lift than a comperable ZJ spring, so a 7.5" XJ spring will probably only net you about 5.5" in front and won't even come close to leveling the rig out.

The ride of the RE front springs in back actually isn't too bad, and the axles articulate in a very balanced manner (ie. if i climb up a rock with a front tire, the front and rear axles flex about equally in opposite directions). Unfortunately though my rig is way too tall and narrow (my axles are only 63" wide) with my spring/axle combo. If you're running fullwidths (ie. 67"+ axles), i'd say those springs wouldn't be bad in the rear, but at my width, it's scary tippy and i'm actually surprised it hasn't rolled yet. So i'm thinking about cutting a coil or two out of the rear springs and getting some wheel spacers or different wheels with less backspacing.

For shocks I have the RK 7" shocks to match my springs in front, and in the rear I have OME long travels (with my rear shock mounts on top of the axle).

HTH,
-Ron-

Cody
01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
the 4.5" XJ springs I ran in back gave me a measurement of 26.25" fender to wheel center.

but I didn't have anything of weight in back like a bumper or big spare tire.

Cody