PDA

View Full Version : Wipers are acting up???

KeepItCrunk
01-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Well, ym heat has been really ghetto lately. It like, shuts off, then i hit it and it comes back on... but that won't work forever. i was plannin on switching out the hvac controlsbecuase it seems to be int here because everything else has fine connections and voltage.... anyways... It was snowing today, so obviously i had the wipers on. I had them on the first setting, you know, one wipe every 1/2 minute or soimething like that. It made a swipe as normal but it made like a bump kidna noise. One of those noises from when u hit a bump on the highway. Actually, mroe of a thud i guess. Now they only go half the speed. I checked them out... alot... in the snow... at night... in the driveway... theres no damage that i can see, and theres power, and idk what else to check. They work fine, delay, speed, etc, they jsut go half as fast. its really odd. anyone have similar problems??? great thing to do at 3:20 am on new years morning... blah, maybe i need to rest and try again :smt120

CurtP
01-01-2006, 07:06 AM
:confused: What? Engrish please :flipoff2:

Manual or ATC HVAC controls?

Was the snow dry? I've had my wipers drag slowly across the windshield when the snow isn't melting enough to keep the windsheild wet. Does it speed up if you hit them with washer fluid? Are you at idle when they're running slowly?

I don't have my FSM in front of me to check the troubleshooting procedures. I'd suspect low voltage to the motor or improper/insufficient lubrication on the pivots. Could be that the motor is just worn out.

KeepItCrunk
01-01-2006, 07:59 PM
sry for the engrish... 3am new years dude...:smt030

But anywas, i didn't remember what i checked last night so i tried to check it again today, and my amp meter is dead... i left it in the friggen car and it must have gotten too cold. But i tried hittin the washer and it still went slow as hell, i actually think its slower then half speed cause on the fastest setting its going way slower then it would be on the normal setting. wow that sounds confusing. I compared with another zj to make sure. The motors doesn't heat up or anything either, because i ran them for a 1/2 hour today and it wasn't any hotter then its been, not hot at all actually. Nothing seems to be binding either. I hate stupid little shit like this...:smt093
On my yj, a piece of metal from INSIDE the windsheild frame fell down and jammed the linkage. That in turn heated the motor up like woah, which went back through the harness and melted the plug, which lit on fire and burned the inside of my dash a little bit. (1st of the 3 times my yj was on fire... gotto love jeeps :rolleyes: ) Im hoping that my yj incident won't happen on the zj. Im gonna go see if i can find anything else thats screwey. I really just need to find out what that thud was before the wipers started going screwey...:smt102

KeepItCrunk
01-02-2006, 11:53 PM
It started to snow out today like a BIOTCH. i flipped my wipers on and i was like ooh fawk... but they were fine? Everything works perf? wtf? :confused:
(me):smt068 jeep... lol

CurtP
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
You lucky bastard. I've been hoping to get some snow and all we've got is some rain. Today is 45-50 degrees out and all we're calling for is more rain tomorrow :(
I should have broke the convertable out of the garage today :D

As far as your wipers go, NO idea. Consider yourself a lucky bastard there too. I guess only time will tell if it continues to work correctly or not. Maybe it's the electrical gremlins that '96 ZJ's get (or all Jeeps for that matter). I have a couple right now myself - half my gauge lights didn't come on a couple weeks ago when it was really cold outside. By the time I got to work, they were fine. Hasn't done it since. It also seems like on occasion my driver's side heated seat doesn't light off. If I turn it off, then back on high, it seems to work again. Maybe I'm just not giving the seat time enough to warm up :smt108

Maybe the *thud* was a coincidence to the wiper problem...