PDA

View Full Version : BIG DUB Is Done (Flex Pics Added)

SLO MO
12-30-2005, 11:44 PM
After about 8 months I'm done for now with my 2K WJ.
I don't have any digital pics of it stock (we all know what they look like),
but I started off early in '01 with a 2"BB then about 6 months later built a long arm that is nearly identical to Clayton's. I scaled Adam's pics from his website when he was the only one with Clayton's kit. I ran 7" with 33" ProComp Xterrains. Got the bug to go bigger and badder after Henley, Anton and Rizzo.
Spring '03 I bought a ProRock center.

SLO MO
12-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Over the next year I built my parts for the rear diff. Custom housing ends for Set20 bearings and 1/2" retainer bolts with custom retainers. I also modded a set of backing plates to work with all this. Custom 35 spline axles from Moser.
65" width. I originally set it up for tone rings but decided to run the speedo swap instead.

OverkillZJ
12-31-2005, 12:02 AM
I want that press.

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 12:05 AM
I also did my own SYE. I didn't like the way Tom Woods' SYE for the 242 just used a tapped hole to hold the yoke on. I bought a used mainshaft and output housing and went to town. I forgot to take my camera to work that night though:(. I cut it down and splined it but left enough on the end to turn it down and thread it for a 7/8" fine nut the same as the fornt yoke nut.
Here's how it looks. I decided to just run a single joint shaft with the high pinion rear. I don't forsee any problems as it ran great with the D35 at 7".

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 12:08 AM
I want that press.
I'd like to have it too. I don't work in that shop any more. 50 ton :smt033

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 12:32 AM
For the front I actually started to build a "609" but then my fiance` got me the Rockcrusher for Christmas last year so....

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Here's the diffs after gearing and ready for brackets.

nate
12-31-2005, 12:41 AM
My brother about got a hard on looking at all the machining equipment since he does that sort of thing. :)

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 12:43 AM
I pushed the diffs out so I had to do the ZJ tank swap. I couldn't find much info on this except for a very little bit from Anton's old posts and his printroom pictures. When Dave's ready for write-ups I'll do one for the tank swap.
I made a 1/8" thick skid for the tank and moved it as far up and back as possible.
I also decided to do a trap door in the floor to have access to the fuel pump. Its a very good idea. Anyone whos tried to remove a mostly full tank will know why:shake:

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm now running about 9" of lift. I built 1" of lift into the coil mounts and am running Rockkrawler 8" coils. In the front I didn't cut upwards into the fender as I figured it was more important to be able to turn when stuffed. There is also limited room between the pumpkin and trackbar. I have about 4 1/2" uptravel, but can turn lock to lock at full stuff. I moved the front diff forward about 2 1/2" from stock. Here's some trimming shots and the trackbar.

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 12:59 AM
Out back I had to move the coil mounts back about 2" and ditch the rear sway bar. I will be looking at an Anti-rock type sway for the front and rear soon.
Had to trim a little bit outta the back too. I moved the rear back about 3" from stock. Final wheelbase is about 111".

ogdak
12-31-2005, 04:42 AM
Very impressive.
Nice machiney to work with.

JohnBoulderCO
12-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Very nice! You have been busy in that garage!:D

Kraqa
12-31-2005, 01:41 PM
so when you bringign that thing out to BC?

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Very nice! You have been busy in that garage!:D
Yeah. I started on it at the end of May and by early Aug. was ready to blow it up with a stick of dynamite:). I took a break until Oct. when I realized that I couldn't drive my other truck much longer.

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 02:27 PM
so when you bringign that thing out to BC?
We will be coming to GSW this year.
My brother was telling me about some new event they started at Apex on the Canada Day weekend. If I have enough funds left after GSW I might consider going.
My brother should be going to that with his toy

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Before I forget, I have to send out big props to my buddy Layne for volunteering the last month of his life to help finish my ride;).
I changed some of my front suspension too. I'm trying out a single long upper on the drivers side. So far it seems ok the ride is nice and it handles great. Slight shimmy at about 80kmh (55 ish for you US guys;)) 39.5" unbalanced Irocs tend to do that. I have an extra bracket made if I need to add a passenger side arm. The body side mounts just in front of the lower mount and is braced against the lower with a gusset.

SLO MO
12-31-2005, 02:53 PM
I spoke with Andy at CRS about 6 months ago and decided I would try tapping the stock steering box for assist. Thats what they did on RJs. I have a second box sitting in the garage but need to clean up in there before I start that little project.
Andy couldn't recall exactly where they tapped it but I think I've got it figured out though and will share once its done and tested.
As for things left to do: the steering box, make some new extended brake lines for the front, I've got some Bilstein 7100s coming.
As for the shocks I ordered the 14" Short bodies for the front. With the way I have the bumps and mounts set I should be able to drop a 39 below the rocker and fully compress with a little room left to spare on the shock. I however made some errors on the rear in regards to shock mounts and will probably need to make some changes when they arrive.
Bad thing is now I have to get some stock tires from the wreckers so I can get the damn thing in and outta the garage:smt102.

ZJARCHER
12-31-2005, 10:24 PM
We will be coming to GSW this year.
My brother was telling me about some new event they started at Apex on the Canada Day weekend. If I have enough funds left after GSW I might consider going.
My brother should be going to that with his toy

Thats a SICK XJ, I watched the build on POR... such clean work on the tail-end ("bed", tails, etc..)

Good lookin dub, too! lets see some action pics asap :thumbsup:

rob92xj
01-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Thats a really nicely built WJ so far where are the finished pics?

Cue-Ball
01-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Very nice.

SLO MO
01-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Thats a really nicely built WJ so far where are the finished pics?
Here you go.

ATL ZJ
01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Looks like one big bad grocery getter. Let's see some sliders and trail shots.

SLO MO
01-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Looks like one big bad grocery getter. Let's see some sliders and trail shots.
Relax man:flipoff2:, its only been on its own weight for about 4 days. Sliders and finishing the steel rear bumper are on the list of things to do once the garage is cleaned up. I won't be wheeling it until I get the hydro assist done either. Don't worry people I'm not another Rizzo or RJ. Still some things left to do just takes time.

SCAMPER ZJ
01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
That WJ is just SICK!!! I am SO jealous of your skills. It's going to be tough to find a challenging trail!!:) Very nice.

ATL ZJ
01-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Relax man:flipoff2:, its only been on its own weight for about 4 days. Sliders and finishing the steel rear bumper are on the list of things to do once the garage is cleaned up. I won't be wheeling it until I get the hydro assist done either. Don't worry people I'm not another Rizzo or RJ. Still some things left to do just takes time.

Ha, I'm pretty relaxed... Glad to see somebody building one like that on their own. Good fab work definitely does take time, I'm just anxious to see what it can do. What size ram will you be using?

ILikeMud
01-01-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure which is hotter to me some of the machines or your WJ.
Damn nice man.

SLO MO
01-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Scamper, theres lots of challenging trails around here. Most of the stuff is like the Tank Trap in TTC, washouts, lots of mud and muskeg. There are a few good trails though but because of the Greenies we're going to have to find some new trails over the next couple years.

Atlanta just keepin ya in line;). I'm going to try a ram from a local supply store, I think its 1 1/2" x 8". My brother has been using the same one on his XJ without issue so we'll see how it goes. I'm also looking at getting a PSC pump and making a custom mounting bracket. That'll be in a month or two. The wife's starting to get on me about the money pit :), gotta work some OT soon to replenish the funds.

ILIKEMUD I've worked as a machinist for 13 years. It definately helps with building my projects.

Thanks all for the compliments :). Will have some more pix tommorrow.

Gstone
01-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Very nice work...

ILikeMud
01-02-2006, 02:29 AM
ILIKEMUD I've worked as a machinist for 13 years. It definately helps with building my projects.

Awesome man.
I'm going into my last semester of tool and die/cnc machining. Now I need a job in the field.

ATL ZJ
01-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Atlanta just keepin ya in line;). I'm going to try a ram from a local supply store, I think its 1 1/2" x 8". My brother has been using the same one on his XJ without issue so we'll see how it goes. I'm also looking at getting a PSC pump and making a custom mounting bracket. That'll be in a month or two. The wife's starting to get on me about the money pit :), gotta work some OT soon to replenish the funds

Thanks all for the compliments :). Will have some more pix tommorrow.

If money is an issue, I did my hydro assist for under $100 following BrettM's and Ashman's writeups over on NAXJA.. All the parts came from surplus center. My ram is 1.5" x 8" and the stock pump turns 37s just fine. Only when I'm really bound up on the trail and try to turn really fast at idle do I feel any lag. On the street it's great. I did pick up a used PSC box for cheap, so I didn't have to bother with tapping my stock box or a waggy box.. PSC stuff is super nice- I've been pleased.

SLO MO
01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Awesome man.
I'm going into my last semester of tool and die/cnc machining. Now I need a job in the field.

I've actually spent about 6 of those years in tool & die but most people think you make screwdrivers and wrenches when you say that:rolleyes:.

SLO MO
01-02-2006, 04:06 PM
If money is an issue, I did my hydro assist for under $100 following BrettM's and Ashman's writeups over on NAXJA.. All the parts came from surplus center. My ram is 1.5" x 8" and the stock pump turns 37s just fine. Only when I'm really bound up on the trail and try to turn really fast at idle do I feel any lag. On the street it's great. I did pick up a used PSC box for cheap, so I didn't have to bother with tapping my stock box or a waggy box.. PSC stuff is super nice- I've been pleased.

I'm hoping that the stock pump will be ok. I have another box that I'm going to tap. I'd love to have a PSC box but the WJ box is really different, not even close to a Saginaw. Its kind of like a mirror image of a Toyota IFS box. I'll post a pic later.

ILikeMud
01-02-2006, 07:23 PM
I've actually spent about 6 of those years in tool & die but most people think you make screwdrivers and wrenches when you say that:rolleyes:.

hahaha, it's true though. What are you doing now a days?
Great to see people making parts instead of buying everything off the shelf.

SLO MO
01-02-2006, 10:28 PM
hahaha, it's true though. What are you doing now a days?
Great to see people making parts instead of buying everything off the shelf.
I'm working in a big service shop now that rebuilds stuff for Caterpillar. I run a vertical boring mill mostly.
I sure miss having a CNC mill though. The T & D shop that I managed I used to use the NC mill to cut all of my brackets. Hole saws and zip discs just don't look as pretty:(.

Kraqa
01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
our shop is getting a CNC High Def plasma table. I can't wait.

SLO MO
01-03-2006, 01:40 AM
our shop is getting a CNC High Def plasma table. I can't wait.
I wish!
My buddy Layne has connections so if I really need something that needs to be done accurately he gets it watercut for me :).

Kris, I was out in Vancouver this summer. I thought about lookin you up but we were on such a tight schedule I couldn't:(. Would've liked to check out your stuff and shoot the bull.

Krash80
01-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Nice rig man!

Man all you guys with your CNC/tool & die schooling/plasma tables/etc make me feel like I'm in the stone age with my old lathe and mill and cutting crap with torches and a bandsaw....geesh!

ILikeMud
01-03-2006, 03:29 AM
hehehe....the machines we've got today are awesome.
Still some of it hasn't changed much in over a 100 years. A manual lathe from today is similar to one from the earily 1900s believe it or not.

When you gonna hit some trails in that thing? You guys got much snow out there?

SLO MO
01-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Ron, if I could have even a mill and lathe at home I'd be a happy man. Then maybe I could make some side cash by making stuff for other people. I'd love to start a business building diffs but people around here are too cheap. They figure they can find custom shit in a junkyard for next to nothing.

SLO MO
01-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Anthony, won't be hitting any trails til I get the steering box done. We have basically no snow here. Hell it was +15 on Christmas day......stupid global warming!

ANLPROBE
01-03-2006, 03:47 AM
We have basically no snow here. Hell it was +15 on Christmas day......stupid global warming!
I will vouch for the no snow... gee... sure glad I didn't buy the winter tires for the Ford while the WJ gets put under the knife. Dude, sorry I didn't make it over tonight, damn grocery shopping at Costco. Guess I will get over there when you switch back to days.:)

ANLPROBE
01-03-2006, 03:54 AM
My buddy Layne has connections so if I really need something that needs to be done...
Yah... the boys, they will take care of you... concrete shoes if you know what I mean.:smt072 ;)

ILikeMud
01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Shat that's warm. We've got no snow either, I swear to god if it hit +10 I'm taking the doors off.

rob92xj
01-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Sweeet WJ make me want to get one.....I'll keep my XJ awhile longer(it's paid for)

SLO MO
01-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I've had some requests for some more specific shots so here we go.
This is my long arm suspension shortly after I built it back in July '02.
I used solid 1 3/8" for the front arms and solid 1 1/4" for the rears. Johnny joints on one end and stock XJ rubbers on the other end. I also used 5/8" heims on the radius arms. Its pretty much identical to Clayton's but cost me alot less:).

SLO MO
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Found this old pic. It was the first day out with 33" Xterrains and 7" lift. Funny I look at that now and it looks so goofy with that much lift and that small of a tire. Compared to 9" and 39.5s:rolleyes:.

SLO MO
01-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I've pretty much made a mess of this build-up but....
I also ditched the 247 case back in '02 for a 242.

SLO MO
01-06-2006, 05:22 PM
My original setup was an OX locker up front with a Detroit out back in my D35. I had no issues at all with the infamous D35. I think the combination of mud and non c-clip axles helped though.

ANLPROBE
02-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey buddy... how come no posty of the new shocky's... dems nice.

SLO MO
03-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Well i felt ambitious (sp) today and took some more pix.
With the kind of terrain we have here I couldn't remove my stock airbox to make way for the ZJ washer bottle. So I decided to move the battery to the back and put the washer bottle where the battery used to be.

SLO MO
03-04-2006, 08:14 PM
For the battery I couldn't decide on what battery to use. I've read so much bad stuff about Optimas I didn't want to chance the money. I've had 3 Orbitals in my minitruck and they've been shit too. I looked at an Odyssey but they are about the price of 2 Optimas. After reading alot on Pirate I decided to go with a Deca Intimidator. Its supposed to basically be a cross between a Red top and Yellow top. Its supposed to be a good starter battery and have some deep cycle ability as well. I mounted it in back on the passenger side with a Taylor battery relocation kit. I'm so far impressed with the battery but have not run my winch with it yet. I also think I will have to build a shield of some sort to protect it for when I get all my camping gear in the back.
If anyone is interested I may do a review on this battery as I think it will be a better option than an Optima and cheaper than an Odyssey.

SLO MO
03-04-2006, 08:19 PM
And as ANALPROBE pointed out my shocks did finally arrive from Shaffer's. Luckily the shipper only put the value at $100 so I didn't get raped on brokerage fees.
Anyways, here's a shot of a 14" travel short body. These will be going up front and I have some 12" standard bodies for the rear.

BlaineWasHere
03-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Ok... that IS the biggest dubbleyoujay I have EVER seen! all I have to say is... NICE WORK!

SLO MO
03-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Finally got off my lazy ass and went out for some urban wheelin'.

SLO MO
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
All in all I'm pretty happy. I spent alot of time during the build figuring things out so I wouldn't have to change too much later on.
I do have a few minor things that need addressing but thats the way she goes;).

SLO MO
03-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Here's some shots of the passenger side.
The second pic is with the wheel turned to left lock.

SLO MO
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Here's some good front droop. This is with a cheap 29 1/2" Pro Comp maxed out. My Bilstein 7100 will allow another 1 1/2" of droop. I forgot to check the draglink at the pitman but Im pretty sure its gonna be okay (K5 part).

SLO MO
03-12-2006, 10:23 PM
And here's a shot of my front passenger coil. With the extended bumpstops it stays relatively straight. With my 33s the coil was damn near folded in half. Please disregard the booty fabbed bumpstop spacer:o.
And yeah I know, no disconnects. I'm looking at a Speedway Engineering sway bar very soon.

SLO MO
03-12-2006, 10:28 PM
And lastly my rear shocks are a major problem. I put the lower mount in the same spot as stock but higher up on the axle tube. I need to move it down for the Bilsteins and inwards about 1 1/2". Right now about 1" fom bottoming out on the bumpstop the stuff is stopped because the tire hits the shock body. With the lower shock mount moved it will be right behind the lower control arm mount and will be protected with that.

SLO MO
03-12-2006, 10:33 PM
And a couple more with the front up.

DJJordache
03-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Thats HAWT! your WJ give me wood:D do you have any more details on how you did the homemade sye? I really like that idea vs the RE H&T. How did you modify the rear housing on the 242?

SLO MO
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Thats HAWT! your WJ give me wood:D do you have any more details on how you did the homemade sye? I really like that idea vs the RE H&T. How did you modify the rear housing on the 242?
I've been a machinist for 13 years so I just got another output housing and mainshaft from an XJ. I then shortened the mainshaft and resplined it to fit a bolt on yoke. Instead of drilling and tapping a hole like Tom Woods' kit I turned a 7/8" fine thread to match the front output. Then just used a stock nut on it to retain the yoke. Pretty simple with the right equipment;).

BlaineWasHere
03-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Those tires look HUGE on that WJ. Nice work!:smt045

jeepnzj1
03-16-2006, 01:03 PM
very nice pics and jeep

WJJEEPIN
02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
That WJ looks PIMP!!! Too sick for words. :prayer:

Cant wait to see more Wheeling Pics...
:popcorn:

corrupt143
11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Thats one bad ass WJ!

tywilson88
11-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Those tires look HUGE on that WJ. Nice work!:smt045
those tires ARE huge on anything 40's baby

froggo27
11-29-2007, 09:11 AM
thats a very nice set-up you got there, great looking and its actually going to be used to go off road :eek: :love:

D-FRESH WJ
12-09-2007, 10:22 AM
thats a very nice wj man what kinda frunt bumper u got on there

Jeeperoni91
12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
looks custom built.

sick wj btw

SLO MO
02-17-2008, 06:29 AM
thats a very nice set-up you got there, great looking and its actually going to be used to go off road :eek: :love:

Thanks.

It was my daily driver until a couple of months ago, and yes it goes offroad.
Been to GSW twice. 3000+ miles roundtrip.

I have mostly video from last year's GSW. I'll see what I can dig up.

nierace
02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Diggin up your old build thread that hasn't had updated pics since 2006 :D

Did you ever get around to doing a write up for how you did the hydro-assist on your steering ?

faststang1
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I've been a machinist for 13 years so I just got another output housing and mainshaft from an XJ. I then shortened the mainshaft and resplined it to fit a bolt on yoke. Instead of drilling and tapping a hole like Tom Woods' kit I turned a 7/8" fine thread to match the front output. Then just used a stock nut on it to retain the yoke. Pretty simple with the right equipment;).

U want to build me a SYE for my 242...:smt082

downtowncb
03-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Do you have any shots of your front shocks installed?

death-mobile
03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
amazing WJ you have there

what brand/size coils did you end up using?

SLO MO
03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Holy back from the dead Batman.

No I never did do a write up on the hydro assist. Answered lots of questions recently though. Dig around, search my username.
I don't have the front Bilsteins on now but will in about 2 months. They don't like winter and salty roads so I just run Procraps for the winter.
I am using the 8" Rockkrawler coils before they quit selling them. They're actually holding up pretty decent.
Haven't wheeled alot in the last year. I pretty much have a 6 hr drive to the nearest good wheeling. In fact the Jeep hasn't even run since October.

Soon though, soon.

Brett

Goosed76
04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Nice Dub man...