PDA

View Full Version : Gears and Axles came today

death-mobile
12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Now...there has been a lot of talk that the WJ axle width on the D30 is a bit wider. The measurements on the axles that just came are:

LH 22.7" overall 16.6" inner axle d30
RH 38.5" overall 32.4" inner axle d30

I'm pretty confident they will work with the d30 on my 00 WJ because the guy from randy's R & P convinced me and had guys in the shop agree with him, but after seeing these numbers and ones I have read on this forum I'm a little nervous. So anyone that knows for sure the dimensions of the CV axles on a WJ, either convince me more before I yank my old ones out, or let me know if I should call Randy's and return them. THANKS.

Mtn WJ
12-29-2005, 07:35 PM
I will measure my spares tonight and let you know.

death-mobile
12-29-2005, 07:40 PM
thank you sir

I dunno if it matters what model WJ and with what options does it?

Mtn WJ
12-29-2005, 07:46 PM
The only difference I am aware of with WJs is whether or not you have quadra drive or not. The Quadra drive axles are longer on the right side by 3/4 of an inch and shorter on the left side 3/4 of an inch than the non quadra drive axles. I assume since you have a 4.0 Laredo that you do not have qdrive. Most of the Q drives were with a V8. However some 4.0s came with quadra drive.

otherwise there were no other differences in the WJ axles up front. The rear ofcourse offered both a D35 and 44A and both had different axle shafts depending on if you had quadra drive or not.

I am about to leave for home so if you could post whether or not you have quadra drive or varilocks as some people call it..

Mtn WJ
12-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Well I hate to be the one with the bad news for you however these are the measurements from end to end per axle

LH axle overall 24 3/4 inches
RH axle overall 40 inches

Many places confuse ZJs and WJs.

With WJs it is best to see it to believe it. A lot of bad information out there.

Good luck

keith

death-mobile
12-29-2005, 09:54 PM
yeaaaaa...damn. Mistake on their part. I'm shipping them back at no charge and they said they will make me some. I just have to take some measurements from the end of the splines to where the center of the u-joint would be...more or less, bend the axle at the cv-joint and measure it as if it were two halfs.

Mtn WJ
12-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Keep in mind if you plan to run ABS afterwards the WJs have a different diameter tone ring than the ZJ or TJ and they will have to do some light machine work to get the WJ tone rings to fit. The stock WJ CVs are bigger and therefore the tone ring diameter is different. In addition WJ tone rings have 48 teeth while the others have 54. Therefore you will need to use WJ rings to keep your abs in sync with the rear tone rings. Oooorrr you can just pull the ABS fuses and not worry about ABS working.

Trusty
12-31-2005, 12:39 PM
See if they will give you a deal on 2 sets, if the price is right I would go in on them with you, I have the same WJ as you. Thanks

death-mobile
12-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok. Right now I have to wait for the return tag, so I can ship the wrong ones back. Then once I do the gears and have the axles pulled out, I'll take some measurments and see what Randy's can do for me. After a while though...I dunno if it is even worth it. The CV joints on WJ axles are actually extremely durable. The main benefit of switching to U-joints would be a better turning radius. Once all is said and done though...I might just hold off since my axles are in strong working condition, and just wait untill i'm ready to do some serious axle work. I.E. -re-positioned spring perches, bigger spline axles, ARB locker...stuff like that.

Trusty
12-31-2005, 06:03 PM
I thought thats what you were going to do.(super 30) I would't want just replacement u-jointed axles, either. If you ever have some custom chromos with bigger splines and ARB to fit our WJ's I'll go in with ya.. Thanks

death-mobile
12-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Soon enough. Do you have any pictures of your rig? Clayton is the way I'm going to go when I go that route.

Trusty
12-31-2005, 11:52 PM
I can get some pics to you if you tell me how to post them.