PDA

View Full Version : Throttle return spring

Jim311
12-28-2005, 07:04 PM
My pedal sticks about 1/4 of the way through the throttle range. In other words, when I try to accelerate, the pedal goes easily for a little bit, but then it "sticks" and when you try to push harder it pops a little bit and you've gone from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle and it's pissing me off. I traced the issue to the throttle return spring. I think the spring is binding on itself or something. I tried to find a suitable replacement part at Discount but they didn't have the spring listed. I'm wondering if it's even replaceable? Or perhaps a dealer part?

zjinprogress
12-29-2005, 09:55 PM
maybe a junkyard part? i might have one if you want to pay shipping it's yours, i'll have to make sure it's worthy first. ohh and are you sure it's the spring? i had my throttle plate stick inside the housing and the pedal would jam at like 3/4 to full throttle....scary stuff.

Mike

Jim311
12-30-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the spring, but I'll check out the inside of the TB and see if something might be sticking in there as well. Might have some junk in it or something.

TrojanMan
12-31-2005, 04:39 AM
my sticky pedal is back and I think my spring is the culprit as well.

Jim311
12-31-2005, 11:32 AM
It's pissing me off and I'm not sure how to fix it. Do you have a part number list or something? Maybe it's a dealer part you can buy. Otherwise I'll have to buy another throttle body, which would suck.

TrojanMan
12-31-2005, 08:00 PM
The FSM / parts list doesn't give a seperate part number for the spring, only the throttle body its self. I'm thinking about spraying it with PB blaster to break down any rust that may have developed then some kind of lubricant to hopefully keep things moving well. I also noticed that where the TV cable connects to the throttle body it gets a little stiff and when I jiggled the connector while the throttle was sticking it went down to normal idle. Try spraying it down and see what you get.

Jim311
12-31-2005, 10:16 PM
I'll give it a shot.

Jim311
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
I PB'd the spring and it didn't do a whole lot.. marginally better I guess. Still feels like it "pops" a little. The spring is binding somehow.

TrojanMan
01-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Well while pouring lucas tranny additive into the tube I decided to hit the throttle (engine off) to see if I could solve the problem. I pushed the lever down and it bound up every time. I turned my head and saw that the back end of one of the cables was catching on the intake tube. Looks like the tube shifted over a little bit, it was just enough to catch the throttle right at the same spot every time.

Jim311
01-08-2006, 02:16 AM
My problem is definitely with the spring though.. I checked the cables for binding.

mike6187
10-15-2010, 01:54 AM
jim311 wrote:
My pedal sticks about 1/4 of the way through the throttle range. In other words, when I try to accelerate, the pedal goes easily for a little bit, but then it "sticks" and when you try to push harder it pops a little bit and you've gone from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle and it's pissing me off. I traced the issue to the throttle return spring (http://www.thepartsbin.com/brands/mr_gasket/mr_gasket_throttle_return_spring.html). I think the spring is binding on itself or something. I tried to find a suitable replacement part at Discount but they didn't have the spring listed. I'm wondering if it's even replaceable? Or perhaps a dealer part?
Got that similar throttle response problems and ended up in replacing it with an OEM item. Well i prefer OEM than the aftermarket ones

getlost4x4
10-15-2010, 09:21 AM
i have an extra throttle body. its from a 1996. its all cleaned up and the spring is in good shape.

IndyZJ
10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Did you really bump a thread that hasn't been touched in over 4 years to say you bought something from a dealer?

getlost4x4
10-15-2010, 04:35 PM
i didn't see it was that old. ha ha ha:smt017

ratmonkey
10-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Awesome first post gump.

Did you search for throttle springs and pick the last one on the list?