PDA

View Full Version : CPS replacement

zjeepin
12-27-2005, 08:47 PM
so im trying to replace the infamous crank position sensor on my 94 5.2, how do you get to that muthafawka? i've tried lowering the trans to get to it from below, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to get to it from above. i've searched and i know at least swampy has done it, fill me in.... please.... im tired of this shit

Jim311
12-27-2005, 09:19 PM
I squeezed my hand up the passenger side with a stubby combo wrench to get mine out. It's a real pain in the ass. Didn't have to drop the tranny or anything.. it just took some time.

zjeepin
12-27-2005, 09:26 PM
seems like the bolts are torx on mine.. were yours?

Jim311
12-28-2005, 12:20 AM
The inside of the bolt has a torx head, yes. But the outside is 1/2 inch. I guess you could use a torx bit to get it out, but the 1/2" was easier for me.

zjeepin
12-28-2005, 10:17 AM
The inside of the bolt has a torx head, yes. But the outside is 1/2 inch.

this isn't the case on mine, the outside of the bolts are smooth, like cap screws. plus reaching down reaching down between the firewall and the valve cover I can only reach the top bolt.. this is getting really frustrating.

gearhead313
12-28-2005, 11:42 AM
I just changed mine probably 2-3 weeks ago. I have a 93 v8.

The bolts are SAE 1/4" I think, cap screws. There is no way to reach them from the underside unless you drop the whole front exhaust system. I reached mine from above. It took probably 2 hours total and a total PITA!

I came up with a nifty rachet that you could insert the allen bits into. A regular allen wrench was too tall for me to get into it. I do have a signifigant tcase drop though...and actually it might have been easier with it up, im not sure.

...mine actually cracked in half somehow.

zjeepin
12-28-2005, 12:27 PM
did you have to remove the egr tube or anything else for clearance. i can cram my hand in there to get to the top bolt but i can seem to get my fingers to the lower bolt. any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated

Jim311
12-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I just changed mine probably 2-3 weeks ago. I have a 93 v8.

The bolts are SAE 1/4" I think, cap screws. There is no way to reach them from the underside unless you drop the whole front exhaust system. I reached mine from above. It took probably 2 hours total and a total PITA!

I came up with a nifty rachet that you could insert the allen bits into. A regular allen wrench was too tall for me to get into it. I do have a signifigant tcase drop though...and actually it might have been easier with it up, im not sure.

...mine actually cracked in half somehow.

I did mine entirely from beneath the vehicle. I reached my hand up between the Y-pipe and the body. Worked fine.

zjeepin
12-28-2005, 01:50 PM
I did mine entirely from beneath the vehicle. I reached my hand up between the Y-pipe and the body. Worked fine.

what year is yours? there seem to be a few differences in what your describing and what gearhead and i are dealing with

Jim311
12-28-2005, 03:29 PM
96 but it shouldn't matter at all.

gearhead313
12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
there is no way to get mine from underneath. I have small hands and I was lucky to get it from the top. I bet 96 has something different from it

I didn't remove the EGR tube, yet it probably would have helped. Thats just more time trying to deal with that though, so i kept focus just on the bolts.

zjeepin
12-28-2005, 05:52 PM
there is no way to get mine from underneath. I have small hands and I was lucky to get it from the top. I bet 96 has something different from it

I didn't remove the EGR tube, yet it probably would have helped. Thats just more time trying to deal with that though, so i kept focus just on the bolts.

i bet the 96 has something a little different b/c there is no way in hell to get to it from underneath.
i had a little piece of a 1/4 allen wrench and got one of the bolts broken free before i dropped the little piece and it didn't hit the ground...d'oh! i think im going to try to pull that egr tube to get some room. im about to push this pile out in the street and let a truck hit it.

zjeepin
12-29-2005, 10:58 AM
removing the heat shield from the manifold, and taking one end of the EGR tube loose and moving it up and out of the way gave me just enough room to get that bastard out of there and get the new one in but guess what... the damn jeep still doesn't start. back to square one i hate this shit.

Tommy
12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
When I did mine it was a PITA ass as well. I dropped my crossmember and took of my DS's. Much easier for me. But then again it was at my dads shop and on the lift.