PDA

View Full Version : WTF Brakes???

SuicideTireZJ
12-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Driving on the highway a few days ago, I had to do a psuedo-emergency stop. It wasn't full on application of the brakes, but it was plenty harder than the average stop. During this, my E-Brake light flashed on, then off, then back on again. It's been on ever since. I can cycle my e-brake lever through it's entire range of motion but even when I push it back down to the floor, the light stays on. My Jeep is so slow as it is that I can't figure out if the brake is engaging lightly all the time or if something else is wrong. If I DO engage the e-brake, it will engage and I won't move.

And another thing: a day or two later I installed new adjustable LCA's in the rear. After the install, I've had horrible vibes between 15 and 20MPH. That's not a big deal because I think my swampers are out of balance and my pinion angle sucks because I didn't install longer UCA's yet. But when I'm coming to a full stop with any application of the brakes, I get this terrible vibration that almost feels like a grinding in the rear. I don't understand how this could be my brakes because I didn't touch them when installing the LCA's. Could it be that I'm binding the u-joint on my driveshaft? Or could that just be my tires? I think I'm gonna go get the tires balanced and rotated today and see if that helps.

Hurricane 4x4
12-26-2005, 06:50 PM
it could all be from the LCA's... when you hit the brakes the axle will rotate slightly, dropping the pinion down and worsening the pinion angle... this could be the cause of the increased vibration under braking..

the e-brake thing just sounds like a problem with the sensor being wacky

ATL ZJ
12-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Smack the hell out of the console a few times with the vehicle on. Sometimes the sensor falls out of place. Mine is taped back where it should be.. OEM crap like that you just have to rig sometimes... If that doesn't help, bleed your brakes. Air in the system will cause the light to stay on as well.

BigDaveZJ
12-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Low fluid can cause the light to come on too.

DR.BOOST
12-26-2005, 09:08 PM
IS THE FLUID IN THE MASTER CYLINDER LOW AT ALL? SOMETIMES THE SENSOR WILL GET STUCK IN THE MASTERCYLINDER. TRY FILLING IT IF IT IS LOW, BUT IT WILL BE LOW FOR A REASON. YOU MIGHT NEED BRAKES OR HAVE A PINHOLE IN A LINE SOMEWHERE. AIR WON'T ENTER THE SYSTEM WITHOUT A LEAK.

Krash80
12-26-2005, 10:48 PM
sounds to me like your braking noise is the driveshaft yokes binding. I had that problem at one point when i was running a stock driveshaft at like 6" of lift....time to lower the jeep or get a SYE or a CV driveshaft.

SuicideTireZJ
12-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Ya I kinda figured my pinion angle would change slightly upon braking. I'll throw on those uppers (FUCKING TORX BOLTS) and get the tires rotated, and chekc the brake fluid in the next few days and see if that fixes it. I can't think what else would be wrong with it, but then again owing a lifted POS Jeep is alwasy an adventure of what does and doensnt' work lol!

PS this is a drunk pooooost and I scan still spell better than 90% of you fuckers hahahahah! LoDo bars are neat