PDA

View Full Version : D44a aftermarket axle shafts?

Jim311
12-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I've got a bad wheel bearing, and my shaft has some pitting on it. Normally the ladies love that :smt112 but this is a different scenario. Anyway, does anyone make an aftermarket shaft for it? Ideally I shouldn't use a used axle shaft with new bearings, right? I want to replace both sides while I'm in there so I don't have to fuck with this again.

Oh.. and Merry Christmas everyone ;)

ATL ZJ
12-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Dutchman should be able to make you some custom alloys for it.. I got some for my 8.8 for under 300 when I needed to swap it to 6 lug. Their website is www.dutchmanms.com (http://www.dutchmanms.com). That would give you a definite strength increase..

Or if you don't want to spend that much, just grab used shafts from a junkyard. As long as they aren't pitted (OD of shaft matches the ID of the bearing), there is no reason not to run used shafts..

OverkillZJ
12-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Why shouldn't you reuse an axle shaft with new bearings!???

Jim311
12-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Why shouldn't you reuse an axle shaft with new bearings!???

If they're pitted/etched or worn you'll fuck up your brand new bearings.

Jim311
12-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Dutchman should be able to make you some custom alloys for it.. I got some for my 8.8 for under 300 when I needed to swap it to 6 lug. Their website is www.dutchmanms.com (http://www.dutchmanms.com). That would give you a definite strength increase..

Or if you don't want to spend that much, just grab used shafts from a junkyard. As long as they aren't pitted (OD of shaft matches the ID of the bearing), there is no reason not to run used shafts..

Hmm.. 300 bones eh? Not sure I wanna put that much money into the axle. Any idea where I could find some stock ones for cheap? The boneyard near me never has V8 ZJ drivetrain parts.

ATL ZJ
12-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I am a big fan of the PullaPart chain. They have two locations in Atlanta, one in Charlotte, one in Birmingham I believe, and one other IIRC. You probably don't want to drive that far though, and I doubt many people on this board are going to know yards local to you... Check www.rockauto.com for new OEM parts online.

OverkillZJ
12-25-2005, 07:38 PM
If they're pitted/etched or worn you'll fuck up your brand new bearings.

Right, but the way you worded it implied you didn't think you could ever re use axle shafts, kind of misleading :cool:

Jim311
12-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I am a big fan of the PullaPart chain. They have two locations in Atlanta, one in Charlotte, one in Birmingham I believe, and one other IIRC. You probably don't want to drive that far though, and I doubt many people on this board are going to know yards local to you... Check www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) for new OEM parts online.

It lists the axle shaft for my Jeep as a Chrysler 8.25 with 27 spline shafts. I'll check LKQ or one of the local salvage companies. They'll have one but it will have to be shipped here I'd imagine.

MikeyM
12-31-2005, 05:20 AM
I got a pair of Yukon axles as replacements with bearings, seals and studs from Randy's for about 225 or 250 awhile back. They say their stronger than OEM but they seem pretty good and the price wasn't bad.

Mike.

Jim311
12-31-2005, 11:21 AM
I got a pair of Yukon axles as replacements with bearings, seals and studs from Randy's for about 225 or 250 awhile back. They say their stronger than OEM but they seem pretty good and the price wasn't bad.

Mike.

Yeah, that's a hell of a lot less than you could buy an OEM shaft for.

MikeyM
12-31-2005, 05:18 PM
I heard that. One of our local dealers wanted like 400 bucks per axle alone. I hung up on them - wasn't trying to be rude, althought I probably succeeded in doing so - I was just in shock. Next call was to Randys.

Jim311
12-31-2005, 10:17 PM
I heard that. One of our local dealers wanted like 400 bucks per axle alone. I hung up on them - wasn't trying to be rude, althought I probably succeeded in doing so - I was just in shock. Next call was to Randys.

I'm definitely going to look into those alloy shafts. I'm not trying to polish this thing, but if I can upgrade something for less than a stock replacement I'm definitely going to consider it :smt017