PDA

View Full Version : AXLE/GEAR INSTALL

death-mobile
12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Has anyone replaced axles in a WJ? I want to re-gear but my front D30 has an integral carrier which cannot house 4.56 gears. So my only option I believe is to get a junkyard axle and make it fit. I just wanted to hear from someone who had done it before to give me some tips on the install. The CV axle shafts in that axle suck anyways, so I would rather swap out the entire assembly instead of just welding in a new carrier. The MAIN problem I see, is that the WJ axle width is strange and no aftermarket axles are really made for it.

LouisianaZJ
12-22-2005, 10:14 PM
around 65" right?
a hp44 out of a late 70's F150 is within a few inches of that

i dont know about the carrier but i know wj's have been regeared to 4.56 before on a d30

JohnBoulderCO
12-23-2005, 03:38 AM
Yes, you can put 4.56 gears in a WJ's D30, same gears that are used in a TJ's D30.

The width is 63.5" WMS to WMS.

WJ CV joints are bigger then the ZJ's and replacment axles are $85 at Checkers.

Mtn WJ
12-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I will have a carrier available in a couple of weeks if you want it I will sell it cheap. It is the 3.73 and up from a 2001 WJ with D30. You also need the rear carrier. I may have one for sale and even have an ARB for the non clip D35 found in WJs but I need to verify with someone whom I think has changed their mind.

Keith

death-mobile
12-24-2005, 12:21 AM
you don't need a new carrier for the rear on a WJ, just the front. and yea...i just ordered 4.56's and a new carrier for the front and 4.56's for the rear with master install kits...AND I ordered u-jointed axle half shafts to replace the CV shalfs in my D30. i can't wait to install them.

Mtn WJ
12-24-2005, 03:46 AM
What gear ratio is in your WJ now. If it is below 3:73s then you will need to change the rear carrier. Both the front and rear have two carriers one for 3.73 and above and one for 3.55 and below.

Where did you order the ujointed shafts for the front of a WJ? Do they come with the tone rings? Can you share how much they cost you?

death-mobile
12-24-2005, 04:20 AM
I was on the phone for a while with a tech from randys r & p and he said I wouldn't need a carrier for the rear axle. I'll be using the same tone rings over again. I got a pretty killer deal on it all since I got everyone at once.

Mtn WJ
12-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Well I am just curious then

What gear ratio do you have now?
Are the new shafts you are getting from Randy ujoint style intended for WJs?
How much are the shafts? By the way they tell everyone that you are geeting the just for you discount. They are a great place to buy stuff but they always tell you that you are getting a special discount even though you are not a dealer or mechanic and things like that.

Please elaborate I am just compiling more data for WJs.

death-mobile
12-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Well I am just curious then

What gear ratio do you have now?
Are the new shafts you are getting from Randy ujoint style intended for WJs?
How much are the shafts? By the way they tell everyone that you are geeting the just for you discount. They are a great place to buy stuff but they always tell you that you are getting a special discount even though you are not a dealer or mechanic and things like that.

Please elaborate I am just compiling more data for WJs.

I have 3.55s right now. The U-jointed shafts are from a TJ d30 and they will fit a WJ. He had one of the guys in the shop there measure and assured me that it will fit just fine. I explained to him that I was very skeptical because everyone on the forums were saying how it isn't possible, but he re-assured me it would work out just fine and that lots of people have called up for this axle swap/upgrade.

And a discount is a discount. I'm not going to badmouth a company just because they give everyone a break on prices by throwing in something they would normally need to pay for, for free...or by giving you free shipping for making such a large order.

Mtn WJ
12-24-2005, 11:54 PM
I was not and will not bash Randys I have spent a couple grand with them over the years. I was trying to explain that it would be ok to say what you paid because that would be everyones street price.

Very interesting hear that the TJ shafts will work. A TJ is apx 60 inches wide and a WJ is 63.5 wide. Well I hope we are all wrong and they fit. That would be amazing and great to know.

I would like to hear if the 4.56s worked on your D35 WJ with original Carrier for 3.55s. This is not normally the case either.

Who knows I have been wrong before and if I am wrong now I would like to know about it.

Keep us up to date.

JohnBoulderCO
12-25-2005, 01:16 AM
It will work. Randy has a new install tool, it's called an axle stretcher.

death-mobile
12-25-2005, 04:23 AM
If you go on Randy's site and look up an M35 carrier break it will show you why 4.56s will work with the carrier that is in there now. The D30 on the other hand needs a new one.