PDA

View Full Version : Radius Arm Question... Stupid or Plausable

KeepItCrunk
12-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Ok... so heres what i thought of today. I was reading in on all that 4 link measurements and calculations etc etc. long story short....:smt119 :confused: :rolleyes: sums it up pretty good. Im pretty stuck on the idea of a Radius Arm front and a Wishbone 3 Link in the rear. I do just as much pre-run-fun as i do rocks, mud, trails, like, i want it all. Because kkeep in mind, this is going to be a daily driver (i hope). Anyways, this would be easier with a picture, but i have no way of getting one, so bare with me. I was looking as kraqa's radius arms in the front, and he knows whats up. Not using any of that stock mount shit, hes got the top and bottom links of the radius arm in line with eachother. Now, my question is... If i were to make my own axle mounts (which i am), Why can i not put the straight arm from the sub-frame to the TOP control arm mount and then have the short arm that adj. your pinion angle coming off aof the bottom and going to the lower mount. I have never seen it done and never really heard anyone throw around the idea. I mean, the way i build.. i don't think stress related breakage would be an issue... The only differance i see is that it would be higher clearance. Now, if you got any of that, you are a true master, because its wednesday and im already hittin 40 hours at work... My Brain=FRIED. Lemme here the verdict/opinions please. thanks dudes

Kraqa
12-22-2005, 03:06 AM
I know what you mean. it is totaly possible. The only problem is that with mounting long arms the clearance between the frame and the lower arm is very tight. mounting the arms down low on the axle or inline with the axle tube allows for just enoughup travel. Any higher and the arm will hit the bottom of the stock frame rail.

Now if you mounted your arms inbound of the frame (on the inside liek the Stock front Upper control arms) then you probably could get away with mounting your long arm on top of the axle and the lower connecting to it. The onyl problem i see with this is where does your exhaust and front drive shaft run? Its the small details that will kill you.

Some people make there arms in a J shape to gain clearance. this works well but you have to have room for it. it works especially well in the rear. I hope this helps. These are good questions for the TOTM thread.

Kraqa
12-22-2005, 03:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/untitled.jpg

ATL ZJ
12-22-2005, 03:32 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'd just build your lowers standard style using BEEFY ass tubing that you can really slide on (even 1/8" will work.. but I'd go for at least 1/4" wall).. clearance isn't a huge concern in relation to smooth links as much as it is with diffs, skids, etc.. I can almost see the adjustable "short" lower designed to adjust pinion angle causing more clearance issues as a rock could easily get caught in between it and the connection with the primary link.. Nevertheless, I like to see people thinking out of the box.

zjeepin
12-22-2005, 12:52 PM
another thing to think about is the amount of driveshaft protection provided by the LCA.

like everyone else said, its a plausable idea but there are a few details that may make it impractical

BigDaveZJ
12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV3/xjylink.asp

I think you'd be better off doing something like TnT does with their Y-Link if you're doing it for clearance. If you're not doing it for clearance, there isn't much reason to do it.

I've been talking to TnT and they will be releasing some things soon for ZJ's that I think you guys will like a LOT.

Kraqa
12-22-2005, 03:44 PM
THE tNt WAS THE j ARM I WAS TALKING BOUT.

KeepItCrunk
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Nice dudes. and thanks for the illustration kraqa lol. I see what you all mean. I wasn't doing it based totally on clearance issues, ebcause i planned on having the arms bent to make them high clearance, i was just "thinking outside the box" as ATZ ZJ said. Im definately going to consider this... i jsut can't wait till its a reality. thanks a ton

zjinprogress
12-27-2005, 10:46 PM
now you're just getting silly goody......but that's what i like to see. i wonder if we could bend 2x2x1/4 inch square tube or just kink it like the tnt stuff?

mike

KeepItCrunk
12-28-2005, 01:22 AM
well, silly goody is how i roll. hehe, i ben wondering the same thing, not like we have everything to build radius arms or anything...

Kraqa
12-28-2005, 04:35 PM
you can bend it. or miter it and then gusset it. there ar elots of options. but if your goign through that trouble i woudl go round. it is alot stronger when bent, well alot stronger then square.

zjinprogress
12-29-2005, 09:37 PM
kraqa,

i'm picking up what you're putting down, i was just adding to justin's (keepitcrunk) sillyness. round would defenitely be stronger in that application. but i am no where near ready for long arms......

Mike