PDA

View Full Version : Announcing GSSW 3 March 24-26th

nathaniel
12-20-2005, 10:47 PM
GSSW 3. Now in FJ(Florence Junction). Newer and greater. Bigger and Badder. Grab your stuff, wine and cheese, and get your grocery getter dirty for once. More info to come shortly.

No excuses I dont have my rig washed, its not ready, blah, blah

More info to come when we get around to it.

Snowman
12-21-2005, 07:38 PM
I will be there!

Snowman

GSSW 3. Now in FJ(Florence Junction). Newer and greater. Bigger and Badder. Grab your stuff, wine and cheese, and get your grocery getter dirty for once. More info to come shortly.

No excuses I dont have my rig washed, its not ready, blah, blah

More info to come when we get around to it.

Sandy R
12-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Basically find 3 motels. Haven't researched any ratings or prices. Does anybody know anything about either of these or are there others? Last year I snoozed until the last month and the recommended motel filled up, leaving me with about a 20 mile trip each way to and from the staging area. This year I want to book early if anybody knows anything about lodging in the area.

BEST WESTERN GOLD CANYON INNS
PAT TANNA
8333 E. SUNRISE SKY DR.
GOLD CANYON, AZ 85218
PHONE: (480)671-6000
FAX: (480)671-0013

BLUE MIST MOTEL
SAM PATEL
40 SOUTH PINAL PARKWAY
FLORENCE, AZ 85232
PHONE: (520)868-5875
FAX: (520)868-0660

RANCHO SONORA Inn & RV Park
9198 N. HWY 79; MILE POST 128
FLORENCE AZ 85232
TELEPHONE: 520-868-8000
1-800-205-6817
FAX: 520-868-8000
PARK: 520-868-8900
EMAIL:RANCH@c2i2.COM

Snowman
12-25-2005, 06:44 PM
My preference is
1) Close to the trails - I am there to ride.
2) Cheap - I am only staying a few nights I am not marring the place. I would rather spend my money of the rig or skiing then a motel.
3) Would like to stay where most of the GSSW is staying.

Snowman

Halfdoc
12-26-2005, 04:02 AM
Sandy and anyone else interested in early hotel bookings...

The Best Western is very nice and 10-15 minutes away (north) from the trail head/meeting area. It has an enclosed pool, complimentary breakfast, and a bar. Their is a restaurant within walking distance (across the parking lot), gas and grocery nearby. I think AAA pricing is around $110-115/night for a room.

The Bluemist is the budget option. Something like $65/night and in beautiful Florence. Plenty of fast food and gas near by. ? pool, I don't remember. It is also only about 15m away (south) of the meeting area.

I don't think I saw that particular RV park. There was a bed and breakfast (term used loosely) that was in Florence as well but I didn't get any info yet.

There is also a Super 8 that is a bit further towards Mesa. I think somewhere around 30 minutes to the trail head. Its has a description online.

We will be working on a group rate/block however I agree with Sandy that there are chances that the Best Western will not be available closer to the event.

Camping should be ok in or around the meeting area. We will try to get more specific locations for those who are interested as the event gets closer. A state land permit will be required.

For those not aware, please check out http://www.azvjc.org/OldSite/Default.asp for trail descriptions in the Florence junction area. Pre run selection is underway...

Look for much more information in the next few weeks.

Merry Christmas!

David

jeepnzj1
12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
rooms are going to be slim that weekend real slim best western allready has no rooms theres a pga golf thing going on that weekend right there i believe

Snowman
12-27-2005, 06:28 PM
rooms are going to be slim that weekend real slim best western allready has no rooms theres a pga golf thing going on that weekend right there i believe

Reservations are still available at the Best Western and Blue Mist as of this morning.

Where will most of the Grand Slammers stay?

Snowman

jeepnzj1
12-27-2005, 11:04 PM
there are no rooms at best western for that weekend others yes.

Halfdoc
12-27-2005, 11:27 PM
I will call to talk to the manager again, but I was told the PGA tourney ended the weekend before...and that we wouldn't have to worry about it.

David

EDIT: I just called BW: 4806716000. 18667593748. They have availability, but our block is not showing up yet. I will make an attempt to call in the am to get it confirmed. The block will be under "Grand Slam". Please don't call tonight...it is not up yet...

More than likely I will stay at the BW. We are working on the banquet...but it may be at the restaurant next door, maybe the bar AT the restaurant. The blue mist is really not that far of a drive so don't feel like you have to stay at the BW. Again Super 8 is an option.

Remember meet and greet will likely be thursday night at some where convienent. If that affects you arrival at all.
More to follow.

David

Cody
12-28-2005, 05:49 PM
what are you thinking in terms of extreme trails?

Also, somone tell Brian the Dentis I coudl deliver him my jeep that weekend and show him how it works ;)

Cody

Colorado 5.9
01-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Dave, what did you fine out about Best Western?

FearTheDentist
01-01-2006, 02:22 PM
what are you thinking in terms of extreme trails?

Also, somone tell Brian the Dentis I coudl deliver him my jeep that weekend and show him how it works ;)

Cody

I've PM'd you Cody

My wife would be thrilled if I'd stop killing the WJ. :D :D :D

Look forward to seeing you there!

Brian

Halfdoc
01-03-2006, 12:04 AM
My laptop is blue screened. I just got back from vacation and should be able to get more up now.

My recommendation for the short term is to call one of the three hotels and get a room reservation, just make sure it is cancelable with refund. As soon as we are able to confirm a block, you can switch to that if you choose. The Best Western doesn't really have to negotiate to fill rooms, so there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room.

As soon as the registration site is up, we can start getting an idea of who will be attending.

David

Snowman
01-10-2006, 08:14 PM
There is a registration method for GSW. Where is the registration for GSSW3?

Snowman

nathaniel
01-11-2006, 01:42 AM
There is a registration method for GSW. Where is the registration for GSSW3?

Snowman

We are lazy. it will be up eventually

Sandy R
01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
FYI, I just confirmed at Best Western for $102 per night (1 king bed, single occupancy). I told them that I have AAA and I'm part of a group. They never asked which group.

Snowman
01-23-2006, 04:07 PM
To repeat my last question. How and when do we register for GSSW3?

Sandy R
01-23-2006, 04:51 PM
To repeat my last question. How and when do we register for GSSW3?

I think the GSSW planners said not to sweat it. Just worry about getting the time off to actually get there. They will accommodate who shows up if they don't get around to a formal registration.

Snowman
01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
I think the GSSW planners said not to sweat it. Just worry about getting the time off to actually get there. They will accommodate who shows up if they don't get around to a formal registration.

Great. I have been holding my breath expecting it to be like signing up for GSW.:smt023

The ARBs have been in boxes in the back of the car waiting to be installed for GSSW. [Frankly, I have not had a problem with them when I have been off road with them there. I suspect that they may be more useful installed.]:smt043 Now I will have to install them.

Sandy R
01-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Great. I have been holding my breath expecting it to be like signing up for GSW.:smt023

The ARBs have been in boxes in the back of the car waiting to be installed for GSSW. [Frankly, I have not had a problem with them when I have been off road with them there. I suspect that they may be more useful installed.]:smt043 Now I will have to install them.

Unless you're really mechanically inclined, I don't think installing airlockers is a Do-It-Yourself job. Are you doing the install or having it done?

Snowman
01-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Unless you're really mechanically inclined, I don't think installing airlockers is a Do-It-Yourself job. Are you doing the install or having it done?

Thank you for your concern. Now that you mention it it may be more work than I would like to do myself. I will have an off road vehicle shop do the installation and content myself with rocket science, brain surgery or playing computer games.

Actually even if I had the tools, the space and the time I would still have good knowledgeable people who regularly do this kind of work do it.

Sample
02-01-2006, 08:37 PM
How far is Apache Junction to FJ? I am guessing 20 miles or so. Am I close?

Pitch
02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
So, in looking for a place to stay for the night, a friend of mine passed this on about the local motels (Remember the Blue Mist is right across the street from the Florence State Prison):

"The blue mist is supposed to be an Ok place. The rooms are a little small,
and the hotel is old. Also a little history. Back in the early 70's a prisoner
was about to be released so they were letting him out at night. His mother was staying with him at the blue mist, he ended up killing her and chopping her up, and he then placed her body parts around Florence, the most parts were found in the blue mist. So if you stay there I hope you have a restful night."

Sounds like my kind of place!! Camping anyone?

Snowman
02-04-2006, 04:55 AM
So, in looking for a place to stay for the night, a friend of mine passed this on about the local motels (Remember the Blue Mist is right across the street from the Florence State Prison):

"The blue mist is supposed to be an Ok place. The rooms are a little small,
and the hotel is old. Also a little history. Back in the early 70's a prisoner
was about to be released so they were letting him out at night. His mother was staying with him at the blue mist, he ended up killing her and chopping her up, and he then placed her body parts around Florence, the most parts were found in the blue mist. So if you stay there I hope you have a restful night."

Sounds like my kind of place!! Camping anyone?

Ok, color me stupid because I booked at the Blue Mist. What do I know?:rolleyes:

Should I stay at the Blue Mist or Best Western Gold Canyon Inn? Where are people staying for the GSSW?:confused:

Pitch
02-04-2006, 05:02 PM
I may just look for a place to stay when I arrive on Thursday night, with a camping option always a possibility. I believe that there are other small hotel/motel types in Florence, but I have yet to book any. The most reasonable rates that I have found online are here:

http://www.ranchosonora.com/rooms.htm

But, I need two beds for the weekend. As for the Blue Mist, what kind of rate did you get? I may just stay there (with the extra fingers and toes that are lying around), but would like to see it first. I have even inquired on local Jeep boards, but noone can comment on the Blue Mist.

-Eric

Halfdoc
02-05-2006, 12:42 AM
You can stay in either Gold canyon or Florence. Each are about the same distance from the trail meeting location ~15-20min. Gold Canyon is definately nicer and pricier, but I think most will prefer it. There is a Super8 that is not too much further west from Gold Canyon that would probably be cheaper than the Best Western.

Camping is certainly doable.

Blue mist is a decent place. It is the biggest hotel in Florence. There are some smaller bed and breakfasts in Florence as well.

David.