PDA

View Full Version : Weld/Bolt on sub-frame

KeepItCrunk
12-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, i've been looking around and i couldn't find any articles that concentrated completely on the building of sub-frames. There have been many articles that had little parts showing them and one really good one about welding on your uni-body, which i used, thank you guys btw. If you have covered this, please tell me so i don't use space up. But i was wondering if you guys could give me some good advise or maybe even a tech write up on building bolt on or weld on sub-frame for the zj uni-body. I plan on getting a old beater zj ( i got a good deal on the current one i own, and cutting it would make me cry) and making it a retarded piece of sheet metal and tube. Stroker (halfway there), HP44 and ford 9, 231/300/whatever i get a better deal on haha, and 35's because the trails ehre are tight and i used to have a YJ that fit through them all no prob. I have pretty good skills fab and repair wise becuase i built my YJ for a few years... Ive done axles and long arms with friends before. And i build rail for ski/snowboard parks, and work on and drive groomers and other heavy machiners. Thanks for all your help guys.:confused:

nate
12-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Just 4x6" tube and cut it in half on the 6" side to make a U.

AprilzWarrior
12-18-2005, 01:54 AM
Just 4x6" tube and cut it in half on the 6" side to make a U.

4x4 3/16" works too.

zjinprogress
12-19-2005, 10:09 PM
i think naxja might have a few writeups....yes i know they are xjs but they would still be helpful.

Mike

Troy
12-19-2005, 10:40 PM
4x4" box tubing is what I did...

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Long-Arm-Build-Axle-Upgrades/IM000802_JPG.jpg

Album is here: http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Long-Arm-Build-Axle-Upgrades

ILikeMud
12-20-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm guessing you stitch welded the tube on?

Troy
12-20-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm guessing you stitch welded the tube on?

Nope, completely bolt on. I ran (I think) 4 carriage bolts from bottom up in strategic places using fender washers on the inside of the vehicle with the nuts. I've seen many others put the bolts horizontally rather than vertically. The box tubing is hammered on there good to start with. With the thickness of box tubing I used I feel that I'm not getting much flex from the subframe. It's your call on how to set it up - I'm not an engineer and really can't speak to what would be the absolute best way to set it up as far as box tubing thickness and bolt placement. But what I've got seems to work well enough.

Kraqa
12-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Check out the topip of the month thread i have a few good pics of my subframe.

nate
12-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Mine is welded and kinda bolted on. Welded all the way around the ends and they a few places around the tops and plug welded along the sides... it's not coming off!