PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problems....

ILikeMud
12-15-2005, 07:28 PM
So my tranny is starting to have issues. Should be a 42RE.
When cold it won't shift to 3rd unless I left off the gas, when warm it shifts hard and it's slipping a bit.
So I've decided it's rebuild or swap time.
I haven't found much in the way of aftermarket/performace parts for the 42RE.

What other auto trannies could I swap in? AW4? TF999? I'd like a 4spd cause I need want to keep it driveable on the hwy.

Or should I say screw the auto and toss a 5spd, ax15, into this thing?

KeepItCrunk
12-26-2005, 09:51 PM
I have a 42RE as well. I was TOLD it was rebuilt 30k befoer i got it, but if the receipt was real... they did a shit job. I put 5k on it and the other day i was driving and i noticed the jeep vibrating (had the music up loud, cant hear alot over my stereo) i looked down and it was boucing off the rev. idk waht in gods name happened... then i got to my girls house and put it in park adn it rolled backwards when i got out. good god damn thing i caught it cause her driveway is wicked steep... long story shot. Im swapping my spare AX-15 in soon as summer comes, casue my garage is like 20 degrees right now. I got 2 spares both w/ 231's. flywheel, clutch, all you need is the bellhousing and slave. wanna buy one?????

ILikeMud
12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
I would but saving for my long arm right now :D

I think I'm just gonna do an ax-15 swap. Screw this autotragic shat.

zjeepin
12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
yep, i had my 42RE rebuilt and 20k later it was acting funny again and had metal in the pan. long story short, ax-15 swap..

rob92xj
01-21-2006, 02:14 AM
So my tranny is starting to have issues. Should be a 42RE.
When cold it won't shift to 3rd unless I left off the gas, when warm it shifts hard and it's slipping a bit.
So I've decided it's rebuild or swap time.
I haven't found much in the way of aftermarket/performace parts for the 42RE.

What other auto trannies could I swap in? AW4? TF999? I'd like a 4spd cause I need want to keep it driveable on the hwy.

Or should I say screw the auto and toss a 5spd, ax15, into this thing?
There are plenty of aftermarket parts for the 42RE, I would recommend Hughes performance for the overhaul kit, Trans GO shift Kit, if you wheel it use a stock RPM converter.
Hughes as well as APS persision make udated planetaries and some other parts for them too.
Sounds like you have a worn front drum which was common on 94-98 XJ's with a 42/44 RE transmission. I'm going to be building Stickoman transmission over the next few days or so.

ILikeMud
01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm not even gonna bother with my auto.
I've already started to buy parts for my 5spd conversion.