PDA

View Full Version : front end popping

skout4lyf
12-14-2005, 04:40 AM
I got a 98 with the 5.2 and a 4.5" lift on 33's, my problem is that whenever I turn, or accelerate.... hell, even braking sometimes, I can hear and feel a popping noise. I first thought it was my trac bar, because the bolt has been ready to die at anygiven time, so I replaced it with a kevins trac bar upgrade... nothing! I sounded all my bolts with a hammer, I checked all my tre's and dle's they all appear to be fine. I was told it might be something in the front diff. so I pulled the cover, checked everything out, and once again.... nothing! It's starting to get embarrasing pulling into parking spots sounding like I'm in compton during a shootout. I need help!:smt056

fr3db3ar
12-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I got a 98 with the 5.2 and a 4.5" lift on 33's, my problem is that whenever I turn, or accelerate.... hell, even braking sometimes, I can hear and feel a popping noise. I first thought it was my trac bar, because the bolt has been ready to die at anygiven time, so I replaced it with a kevins trac bar upgrade... nothing! I sounded all my bolts with a hammer, I checked all my tre's and dle's they all appear to be fine. I was told it might be something in the front diff. so I pulled the cover, checked everything out, and once again.... nothing! It's starting to get embarrasing pulling into parking spots sounding like I'm in compton during a shootout. I need help!:smt056

First guess......bad CV joints in your axles...either rebuild or replace.

zjcrazy
12-14-2005, 01:06 PM
worn bushings maybe?

DND
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
This may sound like it's coming out of left field, but - I searched for a popping sound for a while too. It turns out there is a TSB for an upgraded T/Case shifter linkage bushing. $20CAD at the dealer -15 minutes install - no more popping. In my case the popping seemed to be coming from just under the drivers feet.

skout4lyf
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
First guess......bad CV joints in your axles...either rebuild or replace.

already swapped to the u-joint style, with same results:smt063

skout4lyf
12-14-2005, 03:51 PM
This may sound like it's coming out of left field, but - I searched for a popping sound for a while too. It turns out there is a TSB for an upgraded T/Case shifter linkage bushing. $20CAD at the dealer -15 minutes install - no more popping. In my case the popping seemed to be coming from just under the drivers feet.

that's exactly where the popping is coming from! I can't believe a shifter bushing would have that adverse of an effect. You got any more info on that part? Hopefully that'll be all it is! :supz:

DND
12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't have the part # for the repair kit, but I did find the Technical Service Bulletin # 21-09-98. The dealer can provide the kit with that. It's the bushing, spring and pivot shaft from the uni-body to the TCase.

zjcrazy
12-15-2005, 01:21 PM
is it just one pop? or many pops?

skout4lyf
12-15-2005, 05:27 PM
is it just one pop? or many pops?

it's one pop, that occurs many times during braking, cornering, and heavy acceleration. It's especially worse in 4wd.:popcorn:

K2
01-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Does it happen on some bumps, or if you go forward and then reverse? I have that now and it is driving me nuts. Front left kinda feels like it is under your feet. You can feel and hear it. It sounds like a loose shock to me. I will look at the shift linkage. Thanks

K2

Krash80
01-05-2006, 05:10 AM
my guess: crappy D30 unit bearing hubs

Jim311
01-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Tigthen all your jamb nuts.

fr3db3ar
01-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I've kinda got the same thing now. Snap....Pop. Always on a sharp slow turn.....parking...whatever. Occasionally on Accel/Stop. New Bushings, everything is tight. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Mostly it's right under my feet with the occasional sounding rearward. I can't find any indication that my wheel bearings are even remotely worn or ball joints. I'm at a loss. It's bugging the crap outta me cause I just can't see any just cause for it :shrug:

skout4lyf
01-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I've kinda got the same thing now. Snap....Pop. Always on a sharp slow turn.....parking...whatever. Occasionally on Accel/Stop. New Bushings, everything is tight. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Mostly it's right under my feet with the occasional sounding rearward. I can't find any indication that my wheel bearings are even remotely worn or ball joints. I'm at a loss. It's bugging the crap outta me cause I just can't see any just cause for it :shrug:

that's exactly what's happening. I can't stand it! I've tried everything I can think of. I think the only thing left is to check out that tsb that someone mentioned. I'll post my results with the new parts. Hopefully in a few weeks, stupid alaska shipping!:smt067

OverkillZJ
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
I don't have the part # for the repair kit, but I did find the Technical Service Bulletin # 21-09-98. The dealer can provide the kit with that. It's the bushing, spring and pivot shaft from the uni-body to the TCase.

I know what you're talking about, but I dont' know if I can see that causing this kind of popping.

My money's also on the unit hubs, if not ball joints.

skout4lyf
01-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I know what you're talking about, but I dont' know if I can see that causing this kind of popping.

My money's also on the unit hubs, if not ball joints.

yeah I'm still skeptical about it too, but I'm all out of guesses, I've already swapped out both hub assemblies. This is getting to be time and money consuming, and a huge pain in the ass! :fart: kinda like that.

DND
01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
yeah I'm still skeptical about it too, but I'm all out of guesses, I've already swapped out both hub assemblies. This is getting to be time and money consuming, and a huge pain in the ass! :fart: kinda like that.

I too was a total skeptic when I heard about the TSB for the linkage, it just doesn't make sense. But after rebuilding all my Johnny Joints, fresh CA bushings, Track Bar rod end, I figured for about $20, why not try it. End result, no more popping from under my feet. I'm not saying the other items were a waste of time as it tightened the rig back up nicely, but it still popped until I did the TSB repair.

As always, your mileage may vary.......

DougMangi
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
i have the popping too, its the bushings in my RE controll arms...

fr3db3ar
01-13-2006, 10:48 AM
i have the popping too, its the bushings in my RE controll arms...

Are you sure?

I don't think the TSB will solve mine as it's not always from the same spot. It's very distictive....sometimes from under my feet....sometimes from the passenger side.

skout4lyf
01-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Are you sure?

I don't think the TSB will solve mine as it's not always from the same spot. It's very distictive....sometimes from under my feet....sometimes from the passenger side.

Mine does that evry once in a while too, I almost want to take it into the dealer..... oh wait, there isn't one here... son of a!:smt073

I guess I just ned to stop being lazy and make some fone calls to different dealers and see if they've ever had this problem.

BigDaveZJ
01-13-2006, 05:57 PM
One thing to check with popping noises like this is control arm mounts on the unibody side. NOT something you want to have go out on you while on a trail. Cuz I have NO experience with that or anything . . . . . thank you Keith for being prepared and having an on board welder!

fr3db3ar
01-13-2006, 07:04 PM
I've checked for cracks...scratches....any visable evidence that something could be moving. I'm out of options. I find no way that a single thing could be moving or broken....yet the noises remain.

an example: today leaving work. 90* turn out of the parking space.....moved about 10 feet...left side....pop...another foot....right side POP, like something is shifting.....but haven't a clue.

skout4lyf
01-13-2006, 11:12 PM
I've checked for cracks...scratches....any visable evidence that something could be moving. I'm out of options. I find no way that a single thing could be moving or broken....yet the noises remain.

an example: today leaving work. 90* turn out of the parking space.....moved about 10 feet...left side....pop...another foot....right side POP, like something is shifting.....but haven't a clue.

I've done the same thing, I've checked, and rechecked all my mounts with a finetooth comb and nothing! I thought it might be my trac bar bolt, but after the KOR trac bar conversion(which kicks some serious ass!:smt023 ) it still does it.

fr3db3ar
01-14-2006, 02:54 PM
FINALLY: :rolleyes: I figured out my popping on the front. My axle is still just slightly off center to the passenger side so............my passenger spring is rubbing in the center on the bumpstop tube and on the driver side the spring is rubbing in the body.

Justifaction to put some spacers in to pull the front a little to the driver side :D before I get the front adjustable track bar I've been waiting to lose it :supz:

It's always good to be able to justify more lift to the wife :D

skout4lyf
01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
FINALLY: :rolleyes: I figured out my popping on the front. My axle is still just slightly off center to the passenger side so............my passenger spring is rubbing in the center on the bumpstop tube and on the driver side the spring is rubbing in the body.

Justifaction to put some spacers in to pull the front a little to the driver side :D before I get the front adjustable track bar I've been waiting to lose it :supz:

It's always good to be able to justify more lift to the wife :D

dang, I hope that's all thats wrong with mine! :smt105

OverkillZJ
01-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Ya................................................ .................................................. .............................. assumed you'd looked ;)

fr3db3ar
01-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Well....I had.....but sitting static it didn't appear to be an issue.....now enough rubbing and a few spots of rust made it apparent. It's weird...I'm back to my stock TB location with 3" of lift to make my axle centered :rolleyes: