PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem w/ my transmission/hydraulic system A-FVCKING-GAIN!

5 Speed ZJ
12-13-2005, 04:33 PM
and it may not be good for the transmission in the long run.

I went to meet David (trojanman) today Gaffney, SC to get some 96+ f/r bumpers that have not been molested, as mine have. On my way up I cruised at an indicated 75+ the whole way, 5th gear turning just less than 3,000 rpms. When I got in to town, I noticed it was hard to put in every gear. Not too hard, but I had to push the shifter harder to get it in gear. I was like oh fvck it. On the way back I cruised at like an indicated 90, and a little more when I rarely got away from traffic. My RPM's were 3,000 at least, and 3,250 at the most. (I tend to drive fast). Anyways, when I got back in to town, I could NOT shift gears at ALL. I had to cut the Jeep off to put it in 2nd gear, and I had to drive in 2nd gear for about 15 minutes, not taking it past 3,000 (30mph). S**t like this makes me want to set the Jeep on fire and collect insurance money. So I was wondering if the hydraulic fluid got too hot (even though it is brake fluid, and doesn't effect brakes).

The master cylinder, slave cylinder, flywheel, and pressure plate, and clutch was JUST replaced (my first pressure plate broke and that ruined the clutch and flywheel, and the internal slave). I would like to shift gears once I got off the highway and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions (except to slow down, because even if I cruise at an indicated 70 the problem still occurs, not as harshly though, but enough to concern me). TIA.

I own a true turd. Thanks fellas

JpRngr
12-13-2005, 05:06 PM
First thing to do is check fluid level. If that's ok, I would crawl underneith and check to see if there's a sight plug you can look through while someone else pushes the pedal. Check to see how much travel you're actually getting.

Also, after rereading your post, it almost sounds like it returns to normal maybe? Does it only do it after driving on the freeway?

Corey

5 Speed ZJ
12-13-2005, 05:42 PM
yeah, it always does it after I drive on the highway. and i haven't driven it in an hour, and it still is messing up. i may have hurt it bad. i don't really care though. i hope i ruined the pressure/clutch/flywheel (which cost near $700 including labor last time) and it can be an excuse to get a newer vehicle. :)

I will def. check fluid level. Last time this happened I had no fluid. I didn't check it when I parked it at my house b/c I was tired of it and wanted to get away from it. haha.

ATL ZJ
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Buy Paul Keith's 42re he has for sale. That'll fix it.

5 Speed ZJ
12-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Buy Paul Keith's 42re he has for sale. That'll fix it.

42re = pos unless it is built. plus I like a manual.

zjeepin
12-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Harry, the only problems i've had with mine were when the fluid was low. what fluid are you using anyway? I've never had mine to completely not shift but i do notice that it gets harder to shift when it gets real hot. I don't drive mine the way you do but i've put quite a few hiway miles on it and this has never happened. drain the tranny and check for metal in the fluid, you may even want to take a little pen magnet and stick it in the drain hole and see if you get any metal. T

5 Speed ZJ
12-19-2005, 06:58 PM
i forgot what brake fluid i use but it "exceeds" DOT or whatnot. i called you back and left a message for you trey. why do you think ours do this? i bet yours would he you cruised like i do haha.

zjeepin
12-23-2005, 01:01 AM
i'll just about bet its the fluid we're using. im running a synthetic gear lube, i've heard of the OE mtf making a difference. it may be worth a try if its causing you such problems. hasn't bothered me that bad yet and the ax is on its way out of my rig. i'll try to give you a call in the next few days.. just busy like always

gonecheenin
12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Manual transmissions normally shift easier hot, even with dino oil in them
(i personally run full synthetic Amsoil 80w90 in mine and it even shifts great below freezing immediately after start up)
Sounds like your getting the clutch hydraulics hot maybe which is allowing the fluid to by pass the master piston?
Is it fairly new? being plastic they could wear out internally

I've run mine pretty hard for a hour or better everyday at 75 mph with no troubles, But i made sure when i did the conversion that i routed the line as far away from the down pipe as possible and that the heat wrap was centered on the plastic line beside the exhaust pipe so it deflected as much heat as possible.
I also purchased my clutch master/slave assembly complete & bled out with resevoir straight from chrysler and i have no idea what kind of fluid they would have used in it.

5 Speed ZJ
12-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, my master and slave are brand spakin new. Well if it comes down to I it I will go by the Dealership and get some OE stuff for teh AX-15. And Gonecheenin, I should look in to some heat wrap as well! I don't know why I didn' think of that. Where can I get some?

KeepItCrunk
08-17-2006, 09:31 PM
thats really odd. My i've popped 2 AX-15's but neither of them, even after they have pooped themselved were ahrd to shift, i drove arouind on bad tranny for almost a year. I recently took a trip to cape cod which for me was like about 130 miles there and i did 70ish on the waythere and held at 80-85 the whole way home. I didnt notice my rpm but i have 3.55's and true 31's so you can do the math if it matters... but anyway, she acted normal the whole time, never ever expirienced anything abnormal other then her feelin a wee bit hot when i finally got back down to around town driving dropping my friend off in suburbia. ill keep asking for opinions but everything they have covered already is what i woulda checked. Mine now gets fully stuck in gear almost every time i want to hit 3rd. unless i go mad easy itll grind and then be stuck so hard i almost need 2 hands to get it out... shoulda swapped with a nv3550... w/e, im still happy, it was a workin ax15 for 150 bucks. ill get back to you