PDA

View Full Version : Rusty's kits

Derek33
12-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't hear alot about people using rusty's kits. The only bad thing i have heard about them is that thier springs sag more then usual.
The rusty's bolt on long arm kit looks nice, it has a nice price too. If bad springs is the only downside to rusty's kits, buying his kit and using some RK 7" springs inplace of the 5.5" rusty's springs sounds like a cost effective LA kit. easy install too.

what are your opinions? just curious.

DougMangi
12-12-2005, 11:40 PM
bolt on.... bolt on.... bolt on... bolt on it for bumpers, sliders, and SPOILERS..... a bolt on long arm suspension seems.... dangerous, i would think it would be the weak link, and you know the saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. i wouldnt want my strength to be limited by bolts through the unibody... thats my .02

OverkillZJ
12-12-2005, 11:49 PM
I'd highly suggest avoiding RK and Rusty's long arm kits. It's "produced for the masses" junk that you won't find me riding in.

Jim311
12-13-2005, 12:03 AM
I think they make pretty good stuff for XJs but anything else is questionable. A couple friends of mine run his longarm kits on their XJs and I'm usually pretty impressed with how well they flex. I have pictures if you're really interested.. even some of his ZJ longarm kit that a friend of mine runs.

Mtn WJ
12-13-2005, 02:35 AM
There is an article in this months 4wd and Suv mag that shows the Rusty's long arm kit being installed. There is no real reason you couldnt just weld it up after the bolt in process. For the most part Rusty's stuff is based on someone elses kits with a couple of their tweaks. I do not know who makes this kit for them.

Check it out. Buy one. Wheel it. Then let us all know what you think.

Just kidding but sometimes that is the only real way to get an educated opinion is from someone who is running the same set up.

Jeepinparrothead
12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Is it my understanding from Rusty and some other that work with/for him that the kit was designed to be weld on, but that Rusty was trying to get a kit that would work for as a bolt. You know, make it more of an option for people that can't/won't weld. It will work welded on. Never seen it in person welded but no reason it shouldn't.

Jim311
12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Is it my understanding from Rusty and some other that work with/for him that the kit was designed to be weld on, but that Rusty was trying to get a kit that would work for as a bolt. You know, make it more of an option for people that can't/won't weld. It will work welded on. Never seen it in person welded but no reason it shouldn't.

Yeah, the Rusty's ZJ kit CAN bolt to the frame, but my friend's started to tear off the frame rail. If it were welded it wouldn't have been a problem, but he ended up building his own crossmember to mount the arms to. Other than that, the only problem with the kit is that it doesn't seem to be 4.5 inches like it was claimed to be. Flexes really well though.

StinkoMan20X6_
12-14-2005, 12:32 AM
I'd like to see those pics, jim

Jim311
12-14-2005, 12:39 AM
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/259143/fullsize/Jeeptoberfest05%20029.jpg

^ Rustys. He was very close to winning a ramp contest. This pic isn't very impressive, but I believe it was 1300 or so on a 20 degree.

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/259168/fullsize/Jeeptoberfest05%20038.jpg

My friend's XJ with Rusty's longarms... also in the 1300s or so.

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/259166/fullsize/Jeeptoberfest05%20036.jpg

Just for comparison.. above is the RK longarm kit. Last weekend he ramped almost 900 on a 30 degree ramp before the ramp tipped over.. haha.

StinkoMan20X6_
12-15-2005, 07:36 PM
The RK fitted ZJ looks like it's flexing more than the red one with the Rusty's but I guess it's the numbers that matter. Nice pics man. Got any of the other side?

OverkillZJ
12-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Honestly I rarely find the numbers to matter, it depends on too many factors, and too much "judgment" that hypes those numbers up. I've ramped anywhere from 900-1350, it all depends on who was doing that math!

Honestly though, assuming your shocks aren't to short and nothing majorly binds, a long arm system is going to flex like a long arm system. RK, claytons, RE, rustu's, kevins, etc... they're all roughly the same length, they will all look about the same on the ramp.

What matters is how it really works (HOLDS UP) on the trail.

Ramp measurments... the ultimate in mallcrawlin! :finga:

ILikeMud
12-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Here's a link to the article that 4 Wheel Drive did.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/instructions/4wdsuv_1-06.pdf

steves88vb
12-15-2005, 11:11 PM
lets see some pics of ramp flex with claytons/ kevins with about 4.5-6.5 inch lift range

Jim311
12-16-2005, 01:37 AM
The RK fitted ZJ looks like it's flexing more than the red one with the Rusty's but I guess it's the numbers that matter. Nice pics man. Got any of the other side?

It is flexing more. I didn't have the numbers handy for that particular ramp in the pic I posted, but I think it was 1400+ on the 20 degree pictured. Last weekend he ramped on a 30 degree, and scored almost 900 before our ramp started to tip over backwards! The RK kit flexes fucking awesome, and that guy wheels the shit outta that ZJ too. The only thing on the kit I've seen broken was the trackbar mount.. cracked at one of the welds I think. I trailered his ass home from the trail that night.