PDA

View Full Version : found a set of 2.0 18" air shocks

ptownTSI
12-12-2005, 10:29 PM
this is probably a stupid question and could go in newbie tech, but w/e. If 18" is the travel, how much lift does this give you, or is it dependent on where i mount the shock too? i.e. if i make a shock hoop that is higher up from the axle than a different shock hoop is then i would have less lift from the air shock, correct? I could technically make a bracket with like 3 different points on it for different range of lifts.

OverkillZJ
12-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Depends on the spring...

You really need to start using the search on this forum and others. I fyou had, you'd already learn that 1: dana 61 is an evil bastard axle and 2: air shocks are going to be too soft for a ZJ buggy.

ptownTSI
12-12-2005, 10:50 PM
everyone "says" the 61 is so "bad" but if theres a spacer that works, i already have a D61 to use.

however i'm trying to sell the D61 for 100 so i can just go out and buy a 60 for cheap. theres one locally from a 1979 F-350 rear for $115.

ptownTSI
12-12-2005, 10:51 PM
how are they too soft if they are good enough for a TJ to run with portals. i posted a pic of the rig a couple days ago in the "mini control arm" thread.

OverkillZJ
12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Why do you want a 60 rear? Are you upgrading it to 35 splines?

60 rear in stock form is not really that desirable.

Also, odds are that 60 rear you're talking about will be a dually. I've got one in my backyard I don't think I could give away.

I posted this in the wrong thread thoug, got them mixed up since you started so many :finga:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-13-2005, 01:22 AM
how are they too soft if they are good enough for a TJ to run with portals. i posted a pic of the rig a couple days ago in the "mini control arm" thread.

because its gonna weight alot more than that TJ. go with some coilovers.

Kraqa
12-13-2005, 01:24 AM
the shock has 18" of travel. You can have what ever ride height you want with it depending on yoru pressure and valving. If you run a tall upper mount you need to extend your shock along way to keep the desired ride height. This means you will have tones of up travel and very little down travel. If you run a lower hoop you can run your shock more compressed, this will result in litte up travel and tons of down travel. It is your job as a designer to consider this and find a happy medium. This is why if you see most peopels mounts they have multiple mounting locations for CO's and AS's.

Cody
12-13-2005, 01:48 AM
the shock has 18" of travel. You can have what ever ride height you want with it depending on yoru pressure and valving. If you run a tall upper mount you need to extend your shock along way to keep the desired ride height. This means you will have tones of up travel and very little down travel. If you run a lower hoop you can run your shock more compressed, this will result in litte up travel and tons of down travel. It is your job as a designer to consider this and find a happy medium. This is why if you see most peopels mounts they have multiple mounting locations for CO's and AS's.

thank you.

getting the valving right on air shocks isn't exactly easy. Took my over a year get the coilovers dialed into where I wanted them...

Cody

ptownTSI
12-13-2005, 03:11 AM
overkill, i cant run a stock ZJ rear end on the back if the front is a D60. and i wont buy a dually rear axle, i didnt buy a dually front axle. i know the difference.

nathaniel
12-13-2005, 06:09 AM
overkill, i cant run a stock ZJ rear end on the back if the front is a D60. and i wont buy a dually rear axle, i didnt buy a dually front axle. i know the difference.

He meant if you are going to get rid of the 61 go buy a 14bolt or d70 should be about the same price.

Its possible to use the 2.0's on the rear of the zj but not the front. If you want air for the front use the 2.5's or maybe thesehttp://www.desertfab.com/images/bhshock2.jpg

http://www.desertfab.com/bighorn.htm

http://www.desertfab.com/images/bhshocks.jpg

OverkillZJ
12-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Dually front axle? What the hell? Just because you run a 60 front doesn't make a 60 rear the right axle. Do you realize a 60 rear in stock form is no stronger than a Dana 44 while it's still in stock form, just with a MASSIVE ring gear? They have 30 spline shafts. They can be upgraded if you bore out the spindle, but that's not possible for all versions of the 60.

If you searched, you'd have found that out.

14 bolt is an option, 70 is an option, MODIFIED 60 is an option.

Please stop making my head hurt.

TrojanMan
12-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Please stop making my head hurt.

I think that's the irish coffee's fault:smt038

Krash80
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
...a 60 rear in stock form is no stronger than a Dana 44 while it's still in stock form, just with a MASSIVE ring gear .

actually it's probably weaker....the 60 rear that i've got here has shafts that are barely bigger than d30 shafts, and substantially smaller than TJ 44 rear shafts.

The 30 spline 60 rear was not intended to handle high torque loads but instead to hold a lot of weight. It's basically not much of an improvement over a d35 rear, except your broken axleshafts will be much easier to change since it's FF.

ptownTSI
12-13-2005, 02:20 PM
i was planning on doing the 35 spline upgrade with the rear D60.

ok so i could run those air shocks on the rear then...perhaps i will buy them!

ptownTSI
12-13-2005, 02:24 PM
i would run a D70 or a 14b, just need to find a 14b that can take 5.38's (i think randy's has a set for one of them in that ratio but it needs to be the 11.5 ring gear. and i havent found any D70's locally.

Kraqa
12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
personally i htink the d70 is a extremly nice option. 35 spline shafts stock. it doesn't have the third pinion bearing support tho. but i have yet to see enough people break a pinion on the dana 70. and the gearing options are way more open.