PDA

View Full Version : i f-ed somthing up...FOUND WHAT IT WAS

BlackDiamondBound
12-11-2005, 04:48 PM
i wheeled the heap pretty hard the last two days, and everything was good until i got off the trails and on to flat ground. if you were to take a 2x4 and strap it around a tire and start driving....thats what my jeep sounds like. (maybe not as loud, but you get the idea) only when i am on the gas though, at any speed. the second i take my foot of the gas it goes away. other then the noise everything is fine. any ideas? is the 249 finaly on its way out

BiggerZJ
12-11-2005, 05:39 PM
can u put the axles on jackstands and have someone drive it with the tires off the ground? should be able to better locate where the noise is comming from that way, but ive had a problem like what you are talking about, it ended up being worn out pinion bearing it took me awhile to find because it wasnt like a bad bearing sound, it sounded like what you are describing a steady flop,flop,flop you get the idea so maybe grab your yokes and see if there is any play.
really want be able to tell until you have a better idea of where the noise is comming from.

BlackDiamondBound
12-11-2005, 06:37 PM
could that be caused by bad pinion angles? that would make sense. my pinion angles aren't the best. but then again i only drive the jeep to and from wheeling once or twice a month. its either coming from the t-case or the rear axle. i'm leaning toward the rear axle.

i was doing a river crossing and the back end got sucked into a water hole, as the front of the jeep was climbing up out of the bed. the rear was under water, and as i was being pulled forward the dif took a beating on a rock but i dont think that is what messed it up.

there isnt a bearing in the t-case that would make that sound when it goes out is there?

thanks for the help

LouisianaZJ
12-11-2005, 08:17 PM
how do the ujoints look?

ATL ZJ
12-11-2005, 09:44 PM
can u put the axles on jackstands and have someone drive it with the tires off the ground? should be able to better locate where the noise is comming from that way, but ive had a problem like what you are talking about, it ended up being worn out pinion bearing it took me awhile to find because it wasnt like a bad bearing sound, it sounded like what you are describing a steady flop,flop,flop you get the idea so maybe grab your yokes and see if there is any play.
really want be able to tell until you have a better idea of where the noise is comming from.

Did that end up being the outer or inner pinion bearing? Was it on a standard spicer axle or was it on the rockwells? I've got a noise/vibe like that, might look into it.

AprilzWarrior
12-12-2005, 12:08 AM
i wheeled the heap pretty hard the last two days, and everything was good until i got off the trails and on to flat ground. if you were to take a 2x4 and strap it around a tire and start driving....thats what my jeep sounds like. (maybe not as loud, but you get the idea) only when i am on the gas though, at any speed. the second i take my foot of the gas it goes away. other then the noise everything is fine. any ideas? is the 249 finaly on its way out

I want to know what it is. Do you have CV shafts ? or Ujoints ? Check the axle and see if somethings broke. Try grabbing the pinion yoke and wiggle it see if its loose. CV drive shaft ? could be toast. Might have to drain the diff and see what else could be going on.

AW

ptownTSI
12-12-2005, 09:58 PM
thrashed a CV joint. front axle or front dirveshaft possible. unless its coming from the rear.

BlackDiamondBound
12-13-2005, 01:37 AM
i have u-jointed shafts. i went to take a closer look right now and the cv boots are fine. i grabbed the front ds and there was no play in it at all, when i checked the rear there was a little play, i could rotate it 1/4" or a little more. the rear input shaft of the t-case would move with the ds if that matters. if it was a u-joint though wouldn't it make the noise all the time though even when i'm not on the gas?

thanks for all the thoughts guys

Krash80
12-13-2005, 05:37 AM
To help locate the source of the noise, first figure out if the noise occurs once for every time the tire goes around or if it sounds like the noise occurs about four times as fast as the the tire is spinning. If you hear it only once per tire revolution, your problem is somewhere in your axles between your ring gear and you tires. If you hear the noise about 4 times for every one time that the tire goes around, your problem is somewhere between the pinion gears of the axles and the t-case.

BiggerZJ
12-14-2005, 01:33 AM
it was the inner pinion bearing on a dana 44, still wouldnt belive it if i hadnt seen it

BlackDiamondBound
01-06-2006, 02:24 AM
hey everyone. i took out the front ds, and found all my vibes are coming from the rear (along with that noise mentioned at the top of the tred) when i step on the gas the jeep lunges back, and when i'm driving along and take my foot off the gas it sinks foward. i want to make my uca's long in the rear to fix this right?

nate
01-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Pull the rear driveshaft off and run with just the front one, see how that works out for you.

BlackDiamondBound
01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
wont the fluid inside the t-case start spraying out the back where the rear ds was?
thank nate

nate
01-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Ah... I forgot that some rigs still have slip yokes... my bad.

rob92xj
01-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a pinion bearing problem, What axles dou you have under you Jeep?

BlackDiamondBound
02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
well found what was making the noise. . . 2 teeth from my ring gear broke off......but dont worry i jb welded those SOBs back on there and its good as new

OverkillZJ
02-13-2006, 12:29 AM
LOL, nice.

Cue-Ball
02-13-2006, 11:16 AM
well found what was making the noise. . . 2 teeth from my ring gear broke off......but dont worry i jb welded those SOBs back on there and its good as new

JB weld and duct tape, what would the world be without those two products.

luvthejeep
02-13-2006, 07:39 PM
JB weld and duct tape, what would the world be without those two products.

for one this fourm probbally wouldent be running...:flipoff2: