PDA

View Full Version : Decided to can the D300 and go with an Atlas

ptownTSI
12-11-2005, 02:49 PM
So which kind should I get? I like the 4.3:1 but should i get the heavy duty 32 spline output? and what kind of yokes should i order? some guys get the 1350's non cv should i get 1410's?

we are going to run 5.38 gears in front/rear D60's with 42"x14x17 irok's.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-11-2005, 02:54 PM
honestly i think you're getting in way over your head. but regardless to that if you are dropping serious money into this rig (as it looks like you are) look at the new Stak 4 speed case. Definatley has a diverse ratio range but no overdrive so it would suck on the street but so will 42's. :finga:

BigDaveZJ
12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Is this what you're running because it's what all the cool/rich kids do?

Do you have any idea what any of those numbers you spewed out even mean? If so, do some research, and get the shit you need.

From what I know of you, you have very little seat time in a capable off-road vehicle, so I'm guess you're going to floor it a lot. So I would get the heavy duty 32 spline output.

ptownTSI
12-11-2005, 02:58 PM
i dont need streetable stuff. it will never be driven on the street. i know i'm over my head and thats OK, i was going to do this alot slower but the guy i'm goin in on halfs with for it is getting anxious and wants it done now...more or less to my dislike. but his dad needs it out of the garage that its in at his house, and i cant keep it at mine so thats how it goes.

was looking at high angle driveline's shit, any idea how much a couple driveshafts cost at that place? they have a 15% off sale right now, and then can fit the atlas with cv style yokes.

BigDaveZJ
12-11-2005, 03:00 PM
i dont need streetable stuff. it will never be driven on the street. i know i'm over my head and thats OK, i was going to do this alot slower but the guy i'm goin in on halfs with for it is getting anxious and wants it done now...more or less to my dislike. but his dad needs it out of the garage that its in at his house, and i cant keep it at mine so thats how it goes.

So why not take all of the money you're dumping into this project and buy your own place with your own garage?

was looking at high angle driveline's shit, any idea how much a couple driveshafts cost at that place? they have a 15% off sale right now, and then can fit the atlas with cv style yokes.

How about you call them and ask them? Do you think we're your secretary or some shit?

JohnBoulderCO
12-11-2005, 03:39 PM
How about you call them and ask them? Do you think we're your secretary or some shit?
Come on Dave, get your note pad out, take a message for this guy and give them a call. :D

I second buying a place with a garage, to work on this project.

Why stop with the 4.3:1 don't they have a 5:1 now? I'd get some Unimog portal axles to lower the ratio some more.

Cue-Ball
12-11-2005, 04:01 PM
I actually spoke to Jess at HighAngle the other day. For a rear 1310 CV shaft for my 231 to 8.8 it's about $300, the 1350 CV (1-ton) shaft is about $500. These are ball park numbers mind you.

ptownTSI
12-11-2005, 04:25 PM
ummm overkillzj have you ever looked at housing prices in California before? median is going for 600k+...

not going to just go "get my own place"

ptownTSI
12-11-2005, 04:26 PM
yeah i'm going to give them a call on a fuckin sunday and get through with pricing info. i appreciate the help, not the snide comments.

BigDaveZJ
12-11-2005, 04:40 PM
yeah i'm going to give them a call on a fuckin sunday and get through with pricing info. i appreciate the help, not the snide comments.

You can't wait till tomorrow to get a price on it? Gimme a fawking break.

OverkillZJ
12-11-2005, 05:14 PM
ummm overkillzj have you ever looked at housing prices in California before? median is going for 600k+...

not going to just go "get my own place"

Why are you talking to me, I didn't say anything in this thread. :cool:

What, someones giving you a hard time so you assume it was me?:smt063

On topic: building a vehicle to "share" and splittle funds just can't end well. Especially if you're already disagreeing on the time frame of the build. I think you might want to step back and re-evaluate exactly what it is that you want to do...

BiggerZJ
12-11-2005, 05:28 PM
lol, its awsome here
sounds to me like you are on the right track, go with the atlas, despite what others here think, if you do the pricing for the 300, by the time you get a used 300 do the flip kit(asuming your sticking with an axle with driver pumpkin), and something like JBs low range kit you are knocking on the door of buying an atlas anyway. as far as the 32 spline output, my atlas doesnt have it and im also still running 1350 cv front shaft and play hard, never had either break. however i have alot more gear in my axles to take some of the stress off the rest of my drivetrain, with 5.38s and 42s you will be putting alot of stress on yours so i would recomend the heavy duty output and the larger cv front yoke.as far as the rear i think you will want to run the flange to give you more sizing options on rear cvs. if you can afford the 4.3 get it, but if you want to save a little money and are running an automatic the 3.8 is plenty

JohnBoulderCO
12-11-2005, 05:34 PM
You can't wait till tomorrow to get a price on it? Gimme a fawking break.

I want it now damn it!!! Now now now.

OK, I have had my fun for the afternoon. Time to grab some beer and get in the garage.

ptownTSI
12-11-2005, 06:06 PM
its not really a big deal that its getting built right now. i've just had to really figure out how much everything is going to cost.

sharing the build on something like this is perfect for me. may not be for you, your buddy, or some friend of yours that had something like this go down the toilet.

i have a contract written up that we are both going to be signing that says if a disagreement were to occur that cant be solved and we want to break the partnership the vehicle will be sold and profits split on a percentage of invested dollars.

for round #'s. it costs 10k to build (not saying it will, probably alot less).

i pay 6k, marc pays 4k.

we sell it for 8,000

i get 60% of 8,000 and he gets 40% of 8,000.

so i get 4800 and he gets 3200.