PDA

View Full Version : Detroit for a daily driver??

nate
12-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Think a Detroit Locker would be "ok" for a daily driver, non-wheeling rig?? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to replace the open carrier in my 98 Dodge diesel pickup.

The only limited slips I've found for the D70 are the Track Lock and Power Lock. The Track Lock is bascially a cheaper and weaker Power Lock as I was explained and won't hold up with a diesel.

Power Lock is $560. Detroit is $580.

LouisianaZJ
12-10-2005, 12:16 AM
i like mine on the street. very controllable. just got to use light gas on turns
i have an auto. ive run this one it about a yr

it wold be alittle sloppier in a manual b/c the play in the detroit makes it feel like you have excessive backlash.

ATL ZJ
12-10-2005, 12:33 AM
With a detroit, you're getting so close to the price of an ARB that it hurts. That's a lot of the reason why I bit the bullet and went for the selectable. ...And I'd just finished my OBA and had to use it for something. Since you're so concerned about streetability, I'd keep that as an option too.

Otherwise, maybe a detroit? Why do you need this in your DD/ non wheeling rig?

nate
12-10-2005, 12:35 AM
If it was the ZJ, I would not even consider a limited slip. But on the truck, it's not going to be wheeled. I'm looking for something because I'm tired of the one wheel peel. It's bad enough when the roads are wet that I almost need to run 4wd sometimes.

I'm just trying to figure if the strength and reliability of a Detroit is worth the tire wear compared to going with a Power Lock.

The Power Lock is what comes stock with the D70 that have limited slips BTW... I've never heard of one breaking, even with guys running 400-500hp and 1000ft/lbs torque in their trucks.

nate
12-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Oh, and ARB for the D70 is about $800.

ATL ZJ
12-10-2005, 01:02 AM
My ARB was 700. The d70 one isn't even 13% more expensive. :flipoff2:

that is a bit more than a detroit though, I will admit.

nate
12-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Yeah I'm not really considering ARB just because it's not like I'm hitting a trail and I'll lock it in, then unlock when I'm hitting the road. I guess I could lock it when I want to do a burnout or whatever, but it's not as practical.

It would nice to make an OBA system for the truck though. Could put some air bags in the back then too...

BUT... Power Lock or Detroit are the 2 cost effective ones at this time. I'm leaning toward the Power Lock as it will be a bit less aggresive then the full blown locker.

LouisianaZJ
12-10-2005, 01:30 AM
i dont have any extra tire wear

OverkillZJ
12-10-2005, 02:10 AM
ARB = 700 plus pump, solenoids, problems, etc (don't get me wrong they're the bomb, but not "just a little more cost" than detroit. Detroit for a 44 is about $460...

Anyway, I'd say yes, it's fine for a DD. Atleast the latest bread. Some of the old ones were pretty clunky and BANGY.

ATL ZJ
12-10-2005, 02:17 AM
ARB = 700 plus pump, solenoids, problems, etc (don't get me wrong they're the bomb, but not "just a little more cost" than detroit. Detroit for a 44 is about $460...

Anyway, I'd say yes, it's fine for a DD. Atleast the latest bread. Some of the old ones were pretty clunky and BANGY.
Ooh I can argue this one too, just like I can about 14bolts, haha.. ;-)
He's talking about a d70, not a 44. So $460 isn't even in the picture. The solenoid is no extra cost. It's included with the locker, as is the blue line, copper line, and switch.

The compressor is the only other thing you need, but you can run it off C02 for relatively little if you get creative with that setup. But yes, I do agree that they are less foolproof than the detroit. There's just more to go wrong. You're probably looking at more like $850 in parts once you factor in your air source. I just wanted to argue.

OverkillZJ
12-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Ah, not sure where I got 44 from, my bad. I'm drunk, you should just be thankful I can use spell check!

If I were in an arguing mode, I'd argue that either one of them in this application is, well... Overkill?

Troy
12-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Given your case and the costs you have posted, I'd go full locker with the Detroit. The rigs I've ridden in with Detroits didn't do too badly on the street but they were all Jeeps and not 3/4 ton trucks.

Tommy
12-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Think a Detroit Locker would be "ok" for a daily driver, non-wheeling rig?? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to replace the open carrier in my 98 Dodge diesel pickup.

The only limited slips I've found for the D70 are the Track Lock and Power Lock. The Track Lock is bascially a cheaper and weaker Power Lock as I was explained and won't hold up with a diesel.

Power Lock is $560. Detroit is $580.

Nate

I know it is used but, I have the stock Trac Lock if you want it. Came out of my D70 when I put my ARB in it.

nate
12-13-2005, 10:14 PM
I was told by everyone that I asked the Trac Lock wasn't strong enough for a diesel.

I ordered a Detroit today anyhow. 4.10s, master install and Detroit for $1300. Not too bad.