PDA

View Full Version : Drag Link Length

JHKolb
12-09-2005, 12:37 PM
OK, so I have a new KOR HD Tie-Rod to install so I figured I would get the WJ aligned with the old one first before I took it off to have as a good spare, then do a new alignment with the new Tie-Rod installed.

BUT

The dealer that I use (Dodge) told me that because of my lift height, there is not enought threads from the rod ends into the drag link for them to safely do the alignment? So I just thanked them (and thought to myself WTF, never heard of this situation before) and left.

Has anyone run into this before.

(Reference - WJ specs in signature below)

JohnBoulderCO
12-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Never had that problem. I do my toe alignment myself and adjust the draglink.

jsteves
12-09-2005, 01:28 PM
it is possible to run out of threads for adjustment, however, I would not think you would be maxed out at 4" of lift. do as John said, align it yourself, then you will know if you still have enough threads left.

OverkillZJ
12-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Lift height doesn't make near as much of a difference on that adjuster as you'd think. Think about the geometry. Even going from stock h eight to 6" of lift, it's only a few turns of that collar to center the steering wheel.

I bet the guys, confused, maybe turning the wrong direction, or could even be an entire rotation of the steering wheel off. There's more than enough threads, best solution is probably to pull the end off of the pitman arm and thread it in further to have "more room to play with."