PDA

View Full Version : rancho rsx shocks

Justheman80
12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
I am finnaly going to do the front to rear swap. I have the 4.0L and I am going to use RE 3.5 springs and rancho shocks (I can get rancho shocks cheap where I work) I have two questions.

1. How well will the rancho rsx shocks work since they are 3inch shocks when I will most likely net 4inches of lift?

2. How is the ride going to be with the 4.0L springs and rancho rsx shocks when compared to stock (smooth,stiff, or hard as a rock)?

norton
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
2. arent those the adjustable ranchos? i gots em and fawking love em. I can make em really stiff (but dont) or make em really soft for off-roading flexage. they adj from like 1-9 or something (1=soft, 9=stiff) ive been keeping mine on 3-4 for street use and its pretty comparable to stock when cruising down the road, but is MUCH nicer when it comes to big bumps.

:mrgreen:

DJJordache
12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
2. arent those the adjustable ranchos? i gots em and fawking love em. I can make em really stiff (but dont) or make em really soft for off-roading flexage. they adj from like 1-9 or something (1=soft, 9=stiff) ive been keeping mine on 3-4 for street use and its pretty comparable to stock when cruising down the road, but is MUCH nicer when it comes to big bumps.

:mrgreen:

your thinking of the 9000x's I have those too and yeah they work great!
I think the RSX's are "auto adjusting" so I dunno for sure how they will ride but I have had 5000 series and even the old 7000 series in the past and love em too

Justheman80
12-09-2005, 09:46 PM
How is the ride of a front to rear swap with the 4.0l coils? I think I read some where that the V8 coils were really stiff. Im just curious i am going to do the swap anyways.

PassRunnerZJ
12-10-2005, 12:10 AM
I am finnaly going to do the front to rear swap. I have the 4.0L and I am going to use RE 3.5 springs and rancho shocks (I can get rancho shocks cheap where I work) I have two questions.

1. How well will the rancho rsx shocks work since they are 3inch shocks when I will most likely net 4inches of lift?

2. How is the ride going to be with the 4.0L springs and rancho rsx shocks when compared to stock (smooth,stiff, or hard as a rock)?

If I'm reading it correctly, you will be limiting the amount of articulation drop if you are running too short of shocks, but then that might be OK unless you extend your brake lines. As far as the Ranchos go I haven't had a bad set and I'm on my second vehicle with a set. The Deochtech's on my Land Cruiser are great too, but if you can get Ranchos for a a good price...

I have yet to do a spring swap, but it is in the process once I can get to Denver, the lift, and sets of springs. That said, the V8s will run a bit firmer than the I6 springs, but it will help with the body roll and tippyness on off-camber trail sections, or at least it should. If your stock springs have a lot of miles on them like mine, then even the RE springs will seem stiff. You should match the rear springs to the front springs in my mind so that one end isn't too harsh unless you need stiffer springs in the rear for heavy loads or a trailer. Just my thoughts until I start swapping springs.

zjoe
12-11-2005, 12:13 AM
I had rsx's when I put 3.5 superflex on mine. When I added a one inch spacer and started looking around at shock length I realized that those ranchos are super short.
They don't ride that great, but you might not notice with the f>r swap. I'd go with something else unless they were free. Then I'd probably still go with something else.

norton
12-11-2005, 07:30 AM
I had rsx's when I put 3.5 superflex on mine. When I added a one inch spacer and started looking around at shock length I realized that those ranchos are super short.
They don't ride that great, but you might not notice with the f>r swap. I'd go with something else unless they were free. Then I'd probably still go with something else.

ya, to tell the truth, when i put on my BB with the ranchos, the ranchos where only about 1" longer than my stock shocks. this hasnt caused any problems though. Even at full flex they still dont become over-extended. im fucked up im done talking tech now because if i try to go into any more dsetail ill prolly say something stupid

nathaniel
12-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Ranchos unless made for a different vehicle ie the ones they spec for 0-3" of lift are worthless on any lift. They will limit your flex a lot.

Justheman80
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I just ordered the ranchos on saturday, so I am going to have to stick with them. I am currently running 3inches of bb lift in the front and 2inches of bb in rear on stock shocks, so any longer shocks will be better than what I have now. And I think the ranchos will perform okay when I do the F>R after X-mas.

Thanks for the replies.

nathaniel
12-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I just ordered the ranchos on saturday, so I am going to have to stick with them. I am currently running 3inches of bb lift in the front and 2inches of bb in rear on stock shocks, so any longer shocks will be better than what I have now. And I think the ranchos will perform okay when I do the F>R after X-mas.

Thanks for the replies.

i'm pretty sure that they are the same length as stock or maybe 1/2" longer.

Justheman80
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Are you comparing them to upcountry shocks? Or are rancho stock height replacement shocks a half inch longer?

I would asume rancho 3inch lift shocks would be 3inches longer than regular stock shocks.