PDA

View Full Version : 12" or 14" Travel Shocks?

SLO MO
12-08-2005, 04:44 AM
Who's runnin 12" or 14" travel shocks up front?
How much downtravel is useful?
I should have 4-6" uptravel (not sure yet) and just trying to figure if there is any need to squeeze a 14" travel shock in there or if a 12" is enough.
Just finishing up and trying to figure out what shocks to get.

TIA for any useful info.

Brett

JeepinHank
12-08-2005, 09:57 AM
How much lift are you running, what suspension setup, and what size tires? If you can squeeze the 14" shock in with the suspension fully compressed, then go for them. If not, the 12" travel shocks should be enough. I'm running a 12" shock on my ZJ, and they're a little short, but I didn't want to risk bottoming out a 14" shock when I fully compressed the suspension.

SLO MO
12-08-2005, 03:30 PM
9" lift, long arms and big tires :D.
I'd like to run FOX 2.0s but I can get a 14" Bilstein 7100 with a short body res. thats about 1/2" longer than a FOX 12".
I haven't done the axle side mounts yet so I can play around with my compressed length.

Did some reading on Pirate and popular consensus seems to be 40up/60down on travel.

Will go do some more measuring and post up.

zjeepin
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
9" lift, long arms and big tires :D.
I'd like to run FOX 2.0s but I can get a 14" Bilstein 7100 with a short body res. thats about 1/2" longer than a FOX 12".
I haven't done the axle side mounts yet so I can play around with my compressed length.

Did some reading on Pirate and popular consensus seems to be 40up/60down on travel.

Will go do some more measuring and post up.

What do you need 9" lift for? Insurance that you'll roll everytime you go out?

SLO MO
12-09-2005, 04:37 AM
I'm running a 12" shock on my ZJ, and they're a little short,

What is your setup and what is your collapsed length of your shocks?

With extended bumpstops and at my full compression there is only 19" or so of room.
I did some more measuring and figure I'll have about 4 1/2" of uptravel and then its my choice of either 7 1/2" or 9 1/2" downtravel.

JeepinHank
12-09-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm running ~5.5" of lift w/ longarms and 35" tires. I placed my bumpstops to keep my tires out of the fenders. Front is a single radius arm setup. Rear is a XX 4-link.

I've got about 30" extended and 18" compressed up front. My shocks / BPEs and the JKS loop conversion measure out to be about 29" extended and 18" compressed. At static height, I've measured it out to be 22", so that's like 4" up / 7" down. So I'm pretty close to the 40/60 up/down ratio.

The rear is a different story. I've got some work to do with my axle side shock mounts before they'll be good to go, but I'm planning on running the same rancho 5010s in the rear.

I hope to be able to eek out enough clearance later on for the 5012s (14" travel) up front in the next year or so, but that will require at least another 1-2" of lift.

HTH