PDA

View Full Version : bent d35? or just worn out?

Hurricane 4x4
12-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Over the last 3000 miles or so i've noticed a little bit of noise coming out of my rear end when going over bumps. I figured maybe I had a worn out bushing somewhere or something and never thought much of it. Today I was adjusting my new rear trackbar and I noticed that there is a tiny bit of play in the rear wheels. If you grab them and pull/push them in and out, there is a little bit of play, just enough to make a little noise. I have not gotten a chance to pull the rear cover but i checked the fluid thought the hole and it looks good, no metal shavings or anything like that.

From what I understand (I have never really taken one of these all the way apart) is that the axles are held in place with c-clips that rest on the carrier. I do not think these are moving parts, but is it possible that the c-clips are worn so that the axles have a little in/out freeplay? Or maybe my wheel bearings are worn out? It does not seem to have any up/down play though, just sliding in/out.

I have 31's and am relatively easy on the pedal (I have never really thrashed it out of fear of the d35 breaking) but is it possible i have a bent housing?

One more question... I am probably not going to put any money into this axle to fix it, since it is such a weak peice of shit. And now that you can buy a locker for a d44AL, it seems like a good swap, espically if it is a direct fit (brakes, suspension mounts etc... ) can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

BiggerZJ
12-07-2005, 08:54 PM
yes your 35 is a c clip axle but no your c clips are fine or your shafts would be falling out, im guessing you have an open carrier, there are washers inbetween your side spidergears and your case, sounds like those are worn out/missing. or it could be a broken center pin in your carrier. and yes the 44 is a direct bolt in, even if it doesnt come with the brake line from the frame to the axle yours off your 35 will still work

nate
12-07-2005, 10:02 PM
A little bit of in/out movement is quite normal

Hurricane 4x4
12-07-2005, 10:45 PM
loud noises are not!

its not an alarming amount of movement really, but I think the loud clunking the rear end is making is resulting from excessive play....

i did a cursory check of the shock bushings/ CA bushings and trackbar bushings and all seemed tight and in good shape, but i'll double check them tomorrow to make sure

JeepinHank
12-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey man,
Like Nate said - a little play isn't unusual. And like BiggerZJ said - you MAY (however unlikely) have a broken cross pin in the carrier which could allow a bit more play.

I'd double check the shock bushings, particularly the axle side bushings. You'll definitely hear a bit of clunking if there is some slop or open space in the bushings. You'll have to remove the control arms to check if the bushings are worn. They can look/feel tight, but may be pretty worn out. If this has just started since you installed that rear track bar, check it out for any signs of it hitting the diff.

Good luck with it... I'll try to give you a call tomorrow.

JH

Hurricane 4x4
12-07-2005, 11:42 PM
its not hitting the diff... it was happening before i put in that trackbar

its good news that a little play is normal... means i can go wheelin this weekend

nate
12-08-2005, 01:49 AM
My D35 had like 3/16" in and out on each shaft and nothing was broken or worn. Housing was bent a bit, but not much. My 8.8 has about 1/8" in and out on each shaft. That's with the thickest C Clips ARB has too.

Hurricane 4x4
12-09-2005, 09:18 PM
thanks

I did some work on the shocks today... pulled both of them and checked the bushings, everything looks good there, think it must be a ca bushing somewhere