PDA

View Full Version : Official UNF Freeze your nuts off run!!!

JeepinHank
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
That's right everyone! Uwharrie National Forest will be officially closing for the winter season on December 15th, and will not re-open until April 1st.

This is your last weekend to go wheeling at UNF this year. I'll be heading up Saturday AM, and camping out that night. Day wheeling, Night wheeling, freezing weather, and lots of rain leading up to it. This is shaping up to be a great / challenging wheeling trip.

Campsite and CB Channels to be determined...

Open invite!

Post up if your interested!

JH

zjcrazy
12-06-2005, 11:28 AM
I will be there!! I will be rollin in about 9 or 10AM and wheelin with a couple friends up there. Lemme know what cb channel you are on and I will try and get up with ya'll

JeepinHank
12-06-2005, 01:27 PM
cool deal...

I'll post up the CB channel whenever I find it out. If you've still got my cell #, you can give me a buzz on that as you're coming into the area. You might have to leave a message, but at least I'll know to keep an eye out. You camping out?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-06-2005, 01:30 PM
I will also be down there this weekend camping. With all the rain we've been getting lately it should be nice and slick for us. Where are ya'll camping? i think we're going to be at Arrowwood. I've stayed there a few times and its pretty nice provisions for $5/night.

JeepinHank
12-06-2005, 02:23 PM
We usually try to snag a spot along rocky mtn loop, but that's always a toss up.

I sort of like hunt camp just for the accessibility, or I'll pay a bit extra to stay at canebrake horse camp for the hot showers.

Tenatively, I'm betting on a site on Rocky mtn loop. I'll know more and update everyone tomorrow.

JeepinHank
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Its looking like we're going to try to catch a camp site on Rocky Mountain Loop. If that falls through, I'm look for us at Hunt Camp. Look for a big 40' blue tarp with a couple of tents under it. Saturday it will be me in the ZJ, Mark in the red XJ and Rob in a white XJ.

CB Channels are same as the last run - We'll start out on CB Channel 15 and switch to channels 25, 40, and 1 (in that order) if a particular channel is full of traffic. Holler for JeepinHank. Last time traffic was pretty light, so we stuck on 15, I'm expecting the same this time around, but 15-25-40-1 is our normal order. That way you can scan and try 4 channels instead of 40.

I hope to be hitting the road by 9:00 Saturday morning and hope to arrive around 11.

Hope to see you guys up there.

Hurricane 4x4
12-07-2005, 11:48 PM
i'm going to try and make it

I would be in for saturday only... I have exams all next week and i need to study on sunday.

i'll be in touch

OverkillZJ
12-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Damnit, i'd go. I hate cold weather but I love being stupid in it, haha. Uh, skiing?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-08-2005, 02:56 AM
i've got exams too... organic chem, calc, and anthropology next week.

wheeling > studying.
Life is short. :D

JeepinHank
12-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Damnit, i'd go. I hate cold weather but I love being stupid in it, haha. Uh, skiing?

We've done this for 4 years straight now (last weekend before the 15th). Its always a blast, and we have some of the best memories from this annual trip. I'm with you Overkill, I'm not particularly keen on cold weather, but camping and wheeling in it (ie being stupid) is always a blast. 2 of the last three years, we've been wheeling in sleet. One of those times we camped, the other time we decided not to since the power was out everywhere within 50 miles. The other time, a buddy with a K5 blazer on 35's busted a bead 3 times - once on a night run in the snow / sleet / rain. And he didn't have a spare. Ahhhh - good times! I can't wait. :smt114

ATL ZJ
12-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Damn, I'd be there.. Especially with that so close to school.. But I need to get home so I can work out the few issues before the big tellico trip fast approaching.. My tires don't even clear the rear part of the front wheelwells now, ha.

Sudz
12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
never been to UNF - just wondering if it’s worth the 560 mile trek down there from s.e. pennsy

do u guyz have any photos from previous trips or shots of the trails and/or obstacles? got rocks?

thanks...

-Sudz

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-08-2005, 01:00 PM
never been to UNF - just wondering if it’s worth the 560 mile trek down there from s.e. pennsy

do u guyz have any photos from previous trips or shots of the trails and/or obstacles? got rocks?

thanks...

-Sudz

not really worth a long trip IMO. its got rocks and stuff but if you're gonna make a long ass trip like that might as well be to Tellico.

ATL ZJ
12-08-2005, 01:09 PM
not really worth a long trip IMO. its got rocks and stuff but if you're gonna make a long ass trip like that might as well be to Tellico.

Agreed, tellico is worth coming down for. Enough trail to wheel for several days in a row, especially if you have a moderately built rig.

JeepinHank
12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Like they've said, its a good place for a 2 hr drive, but I don't think it would be worth an 8 hr drive. Some good rocks and decent trail action, especiall when its wet. When its raining, that clay is so slick you can barely walk on it, much less drive. However, there's only around 16 miles of trails. Nothing like Paragon or Tellico.

JeepinHank
12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Damn, I'd be there.. Especially with that so close to school.. But I need to get home so I can work out the few issues before the big tellico trip fast approaching.. My tires don't even clear the rear part of the front wheelwells now, ha.

I've got a hammer! :D

I could also load up the jig saw and power inverter, but hell - you've got oba right? I've got an air chisel with a sheet metal blade. ;)

Sudz
12-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Like they've said, its a good place for a 2 hr drive, but I don't think it would be worth an 8 hr drive. Some good rocks and decent trail action, especiall when its wet. When its raining, that clay is so slick you can barely walk on it, much less drive. However, there's only around 16 miles of trails. Nothing like Paragon or Tellico.

thanks..

Hurricane 4x4
12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
wheeling in cold weather is always fun

my fondest memory is of cutting the exhaust off of a k-5 blazer at night with a borrowed, gas powered steel cutter.... some thing that looks like a chainsaw with a huge cut off wheel.. the guy backed into a ditch and literally ran over his own tail pipe, it was stuck in the wheel spokes

oh yeah, it was 30 degrees and sleeting

StinkoMan20X6_
12-08-2005, 09:08 PM
I'll probly follow you guys up again Hank if you don't mind. I still haven't washed the heep since last time and on the way home I did notice my steering trying to kill me again...Anybody wanna buy a rockkrawler steering setup??

ATL ZJ
12-08-2005, 10:12 PM
I've got a hammer! :D

I could also load up the jig saw and power inverter, but hell - you've got oba right? I've got an air chisel with a sheet metal blade. ;)

Haha.. Well that's another can of worms. I do have OBA, but apparently I made the bracket for the belt tensioner too thin because it snapped on me. So loose belt= no OBA= no rear locker. That particular York has been puking oil something nasty anyways and it's only a 109, so I'm just going to grab a 110 out of the junkyard, do the blowby on it, and have it finally done right.

Let me know in the spring when you go- it's not that far away from me here at school.

Cam

JeepinHank
12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I'll probly follow you guys up again Hank if you don't mind. I still haven't washed the heep since last time and on the way home I did notice my steering trying to kill me again...Anybody wanna buy a rockkrawler steering setup??

Cool deal.... I think I've still got your number. I'm not exactly sure what time we're heading out, but I'll let you know.

Plan is to meet Rob in Raeford again - Same place as last time.

Cam,

I'll be sure to post up for the first run we have next year. It probably won't be until after 4/15 at the earliest, but we'll have to see.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-09-2005, 05:32 PM
see ya'll there around 9. It rained another couple inches last night so its gonna be SLICK out there. Looking forward to it.

-Elliott

Hurricane 4x4
12-09-2005, 10:24 PM
yup i'll see you all tomorrow at 9

P.S. my name is Ren... and as a result my CB handle is usually "Stimpy" or "Stimps"

TrojanMan
12-10-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm ready.. no skids, sliders, or recovery points in the front.. but dammit i'm coming:smt028

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm ready.. no skids, sliders, or recovery points in the front.. but dammit i'm coming:smt028

you shoulda come. a good time was had by all.

rob92xj
12-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh T-Man punked out on this one......Something about an oil leak.

steves88vb
12-11-2005, 04:48 PM
lets see some pics

Hurricane 4x4
12-11-2005, 06:48 PM
http://community.webshots.com/album/520741120ekntgD

Hurricane 4x4
12-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I met up with everyone at eldorado outpost on saturday morning and left at nightfall for home. It was a great day for wheelin. The only carnage was a drowned xj and a certain guy with a green, long armed zj ripped off a shock mount while going gung ho backwards through the same hole that claimed rob's xj... and consequently had trouble keeping his springs in the rest of the day (slippery little buggars eh?)

how did sunday go for you guys? did you get a night run in saturday?

ATL ZJ
12-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Ha, puking coils sucks doesnt it hank.. Wish I coulda been there, I guess next time I'll try and make it.

JeepinHank
12-12-2005, 02:39 AM
Puking the coils was only part of the problem.

Puked a coil, lost the isolator pad, landed on wheel well (note to self - extend rear bumpstops) fully extended my rear driveshaft at the 242 output shaft, and then twisted the bugger off. (Note to self - need longer driveshaft)

I just walked thru the door, figured I'd let everyone know I made it home OK.

Spent all saturday night and half of sunday trying to locate a replacement yoke to no avail. Finally decided I needed to get my ass home, and discovered it would be impossible to drive home with front wheel drive with the aussie locker. I was making un-intentional lane changes with a blip of the throttle. So.....

Me, Mark and Stinkoman made it as far as the Advance Auto in Troy and proceeded to tear into my front differential and Mark's simultaneously. We took the spider/side gears out of Marks front diff, and swapped them into the front of mine in place of the locker. That took around, I dunno, 3 or 4 hours in the cold. Then we headed home, in a RWD XJ, and a FWD ZJ with one missing shock and a spring bouncing around on the unibody and pinch seam. That made for an interesting trip.

You know it was a great wheeling trip when you're thankful to just make it home under your own power, regardless of how many pieces your rig is in.

My next mod is a trailer.

It's almost 12:30, I've got to get up for work at 6:30 - night y'all.

JH

JeepinHank
12-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Oh yeah -

My apologies to eveyone that was just down for the day. I held you all up, and I hate that I had to be "that guy", especially all because of a stinking shock mount. I know we spent more time sitting around than actually wheeling, and for that I am sorry.

I'm still working out the bugs in my stuff, and probably will continue to do so for quite some time. I've just discovered enough problem areas this weekend to keep me busy for the off season. Hopefully we can all get up this spring for another go at it.

Peace!

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-12-2005, 02:53 AM
it's all good hank, it was nice wheeling with you anyway. too bad we didn't get to hit Daniel or Kodak but it'll be even meaner in the spring when they open it back up. Be sure and get some pics up when you get a chance.

ATL ZJ
12-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Ha, Hank I can relate so well to that. I broke either shocks, shock mounts, or shock bolts every run for 3 straight. So I know about the bouncy drives back. My buddy also pretzeled a rear d/s in his FJ40 that has an ez-locker up front, so I got to watch him enjoy the lane change fun. I've definitely been that guy too, I know it doesn't feel good at the time, but we've all been there. Except trojanman. :flipoff2:

StinkoMan20X6_
12-12-2005, 03:18 AM
Here are all the pics from the trip that I could fit in my photobucket page:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y266/buttface20x6/UNF/

It was still fun, even with the down time. ESPECIALLY the night run. If you've never seen a LJ do a 3 foot wheelie or an XJ bounce it's width sideways - half way off a cliff or a STOCK XJ with stock tires make it up dutch john then you're definitely missing out. Wish my camera would take better night pics. We've gotta figure out how to get Rick's video's up too.

It was nice meeting some more ZJers, Elliot and Ren. Glad to hear you made it home Hank.

Later all.

rob92xj
12-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I loaded all the pics I got on Saturday in my gallery at tenmagazines web site here is a link to it.
http://jeeperz.tenmagazines.com/account-photos.asp?album=6966
Damn I wish I had stayed for Sunday. I like running up Dutch John.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-13-2005, 02:41 AM
did that TJ guy end up getting any pics online?

StinkoMan20X6_
12-13-2005, 02:57 AM
he hasn't emailed me yet

rob92xj
12-13-2005, 09:10 AM
He hasn't downloaded them yet to his computer, he came by my job yesturday to have something checked out. The video I shot was too short, we need to really get some good footage to download somewhere.

zjcrazy
12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
looks like I am not gonna make this one :(

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-13-2005, 11:06 AM
looks like I am not gonna make this one :(

not unless your ZJ has a flux capacitor and travels back in time at 88 mph. :D

TrojanMan
12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Ha, Hank I can relate so well to that. I broke either shocks, shock mounts, or shock bolts every run for 3 straight. So I know about the bouncy drives back. My buddy also pretzeled a rear d/s in his FJ40 that has an ez-locker up front, so I got to watch him enjoy the lane change fun. I've definitely been that guy too, I know it doesn't feel good at the time, but we've all been there. Except trojanman. :flipoff2:

:best:

JeepinHank
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Here's a few pics:

Puma:
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2005_12_10/resized/DSCF0577_s.JPG

Dell30rb:
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2005_12_10/resized/DSCF0579_s.JPG

StinkoMan
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2005_12_10/resized/DSCF0591_s.JPG

Me: East Side till I Die! :smt066
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2005_12_10/resized/DSCF0592_s.JPG

Rob:
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2005_12_10/resized/DSCF0587_s.JPG

Resized 640x480 pics located here:
http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/URE_2005_12_10/resized/

Full 1280x960 located in the parent directory.

Not too many pics, but enjoy!

StinkoMan20X6_
12-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Few but good hank. I couldn't look at all of yours, Rob, cause it said I looked at too many pictures without registering. Guess I'll register later or something.

rob92xj
12-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Register it's free and has a chapter in NC

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-17-2005, 04:24 AM
this one is pretty cool.

rob92xj
12-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I got a few pics of yours Puma